Jump to topic:

Is my teacher overly strict?

TheIdiotDoughnut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:01:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Now I'm going to change some peoples names and stuff here, because I'd feel really bad if someone I knew read this. LOL.

So I started year 8 at secondary school a few months ago, and right off the bat my English teacher just started being really mean for no reason. I know it's not that big a deal, but she told me off on my first ever lesson with her. But the thing is, she always gives people detentions that take up around half of our lunch hour. Like once, she gave half the class a detention for not bringing in their dictionarys! She didn't even say the lesson before to bring them in or anything like that, and we only used them for about two minutes of an hour long lesson, but she still gave a whole bunch of us a half hour detention! then, she didn't even stay in the room with us, and got another teacher to babysit us. She even singled me out and made me write an essay ( yes, we had to write an essay about the importance of dictionarys) about something different to everyone else, because she had already given me two detentions. She even gave me and one other girl detentions for not handing homework in, even though she KNEW we were ill on the lesson it was due! I know that she has rights to punish us for stuff like this and all, but is it just me who thinks shes more than a tad strict?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 6:43:56 PM
At 10/19/2014 2:01:12 PM, TheIdiotDoughnut wrote:
So I started year 8 at secondary school a few months ago, and right off the bat my English teacher just started being really mean for no reason. I know it's not that big a deal, but she told me off on my first ever lesson with her. But the thing is, she always gives people detentions that take up around half of our lunch hour. Like once, she gave half the class a detention for not bringing in their dictionarys! ...

Sounds like your teacher is too strict. The remedy is to report it to the school administration or maybe the guidance counselor or to another teacher who seems friendly and trustworthy. Be very careful not to exaggerate anything, no even slightly. If only 8 people out of 20 were punished, don't say it was half the class. Any slight exaggeration may be used against you as being too sensitive. If no one ever complains, it will go on forever.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 4:23:17 PM
Now I'm going to change some peoples names and stuff here, because I'd feel really bad if someone I knew read this. LOL.

So I started year 8 at secondary school a few months ago, and right off the bat my English teacher just started being really mean for no reason. I know it's not that big a deal, but she told me off on my first ever lesson with her. But the thing is, she always gives people detentions that take up around half of our lunch hour. Like once, she gave half the class a detention for not bringing in their dictionarys! She didn't even say the lesson before to bring them in or anything like that, and we only used them for about two minutes of an hour long lesson, but she still gave a whole bunch of us a half hour detention! then, she didn't even stay in the room with us, and got another teacher to babysit us. She even singled me out and made me write an essay ( yes, we had to write an essay about the importance of dictionarys) about something different to everyone else, because she had already given me two detentions. She even gave me and one other girl detentions for not handing homework in, even though she KNEW we were ill on the lesson it was due! I know that she has rights to punish us for stuff like this and all, but is it just me who thinks shes more than a tad strict?

Is this a private or a public school? If it is private, report it to your parents, and ask them to report it to the administrators of the school. If it is public, there's not much you can do until she does something that literaly breaks the law, but, to be honest, I would try speaking with her directly in the most relaxed, constructive and polite way possible.
The_Voice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:44:30 AM
Your teacher is overly strict, but maybe she has a reason. You should at least give her a chance and try to remember your dictionaries.
Voxol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 2:42:27 PM

This is how teacher's get their students to hate English
trueseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:59:21 PM
Maybe Your teacher is too strict and then again maybe not. In order to know which is which, some critical questions need to be addressed? Did your teacher communicate his/her expectations to the class? If she did, and you failed to adhere to them, then the fault is on you. Did you know of the strong emphasis your teacher puts on dictionaries? Did you understand what was required of you the next day after your illness? If you did not know of these things before class started, is it the teachers fault for not telling you, or is it your fault for not finding out what would be required of you? My suggestion is that you and your parents have a conference with the teacher to communicate your concerns and to learn what is required to pass the class. Once this is done, then you will be in a better position to know if your teacher is being strict or not.
m-nevermore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:31:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that's overally strict. Maybe your teacher loves to give detention, or has an interesting love of dictionaries. Looking at your story, that is way to much detention slips.
dcn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 5:51:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Your teacher is not being strict because you should have a dictionary for every english lessson. You will only learn what words mean with a dictionary