Jump to topic:

What does being "Smart" mean to you?

blackkid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:04:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Your personal opinion matters. You should exercise the right to share it. This is one such opportunity.
saith89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 4:07:56 AM
I think there's different types of "smart".
-People who can learn new things fairly quickly.
-People who have a vast knowledge on one or more subjects.
-People who prefer to think things though before acting.
blackkid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 1:23:43 AM
At 10/27/2014 4:07:56 AM, saith89 wrote:
I think there's different types of "smart".
-People who can learn new things fairly quickly.
-People who have a vast knowledge on one or more subjects.
-People who prefer to think things though before acting.

The last one captured my attention. Can you explain that more to me?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:26:31 PM
What does it mean to be smart?

- Someone who can learn things faster than usual.
- Someone who can think logically and analytically.

Accumulation of raw knowledge isn't indicative of smarts. Knowing the "how" and the "why" of said knowledge, I think, is smart. Then again, technically everything can be taught to you and memorized. Even if you can solve a complicated multi-step physics problem, it doesn't necessarily mean you're smart. That's because you can learn to solve one of these problems through guidance and repetition (i.e., classroom setting). However, a "smart" person, given a set of information to solve such a problem, could see how to solve the problem without guidance - like solving a puzzle without aid or pieces already put together (Not sure how well that metaphor parallels).
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:33:53 PM
Anyone who is capable of having intellectual thoughts, having political opinions, etc.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
mayfieldga
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 5:20:09 PM
I see smart as someone who takes the knowledge, skills, they have acquired along with the values they hold on to and do the best with the knowledge, skills, and values, responsibilities, and circumstances they have to face.

I would never see smart in terms of intelligence. The measure of intelligence is governed by the knowledge someone supposively has at certain age in life. This is all relative to knowledge, skills provided, and support. Average stress also plays a major role redefined as layers of mental work the mind is working on that takes away real mental energy. The higher this is the harder a person has to work to receive the same mental reward. We all need to remove the myth of genetics from our views of what is smart, for there are so many environmental variables at work we could not and should not attempt to see through them all. We should look at all the many unforeseen environmental variables that affect our lives and use them as tools to continually change and improve our lives.
ExploreTheMind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:30:08 PM
Smart = Knowledge+Sound Judgement. You don't have to have a "high IQ" to be smart. Smart is like wisdom. With "smartness," there is usually intellect, as those with higher intellect are more likely to acquire knowledge and be equipped with better judgement, but intellect is not a necessity for "smartness". The words smart and intelligence are interchangeable, but "smart" covers a broader category, and in my opinion smart is closer in meaning to the word wisdom than the word intellect is.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:39:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Smart is something that is completely different from genius. You may call him smart but not genius. It is hard to define smart.

Smart is having or showing a quick-witted intelligence.
https://www.google.com...=

Genius is exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
https://www.google.com...

It is hard to spot a genius and a smart person.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:07:51 AM
The ability to overcome cognitive bias. The literate of this century will be defined not by those who can read and right, but by those who can learn, unlearn, and separate fact from fiction.

"Being a skeptic is so much more than being an atheist, and until you accept that, you won't relate to this"

"An atheist without the ability to analyze is just as bad as a theist because he'll probably accept a lie. Just as long as it verifies all his biases, apply it to his knowledge pool, then he's diving in"
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 10:29:24 AM
At 10/26/2014 9:04:50 PM, blackkid wrote:
Your personal opinion matters. You should exercise the right to share it. This is one such opportunity.

There is "book smart" and then there is smart. Book smart is only useful in academic settings where the contents of the book is just regurgitated to brain dead idiots while real world smart is useful everywhere. Common sense and smart are pretty much the same thing. You see many highly educated "book smart" people who are dumber than a bag of hammers when removed from their academic surroundings and put into the real world. While you see vast numbers of people with limited education who are successful geniuses that run circles around the highly educated book smart in the real world.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 10:38:02 AM
At 12/14/2014 10:29:24 AM, sadolite wrote:

There is "book smart" and then there is smart. Book smart is only useful in academic settings where the contents of the book is just regurgitated to brain dead idiots while real world smart is useful everywhere. Common sense and smart are pretty much the same thing. You see many highly educated "book smart" people who are dumber than a bag of hammers when removed from their academic surroundings and put into the real world. While you see vast numbers of people with limited education who are successful geniuses that run circles around the highly educated book smart in the real world.

Smart is gaining the skills and knowledge to be the best at what you want to do. And when that becomes boring you do it all over again.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:43:06 PM
At 10/29/2014 11:26:31 PM, ben2974 wrote:
What does it mean to be smart?

- Someone who can learn things faster than usual.
- Someone who can think logically and analytically.

Accumulation of raw knowledge isn't indicative of smarts. Knowing the "how" and the "why" of said knowledge, I think, is smart. Then again, technically everything can be taught to you and memorized. Even if you can solve a complicated multi-step physics problem, it doesn't necessarily mean you're smart. That's because you can learn to solve one of these problems through guidance and repetition (i.e., classroom setting). However, a "smart" person, given a set of information to solve such a problem, could see how to solve the problem without guidance - like solving a puzzle without aid or pieces already put together (Not sure how well that metaphor parallels).

I agree with you, just memorizing things doesn't mean your smart. For example, I solve rubik's cubes all the time, as suggested by my name, and have gotten my fastest time to just over 16 seconds. However, this doesn't mean I'm really smart. I just memorized patterns on youTube. On the other hand my math teacher actually figured out how to solve a rubik's cube for himself. Thats intelligence, not just simple memorization.
IssacTheEnlightened2.0
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:09:08 PM
I love being smart. I use my intelligence to my advantage. Although I'm not the smartest person I know, I am the best at being smart that I know. I have 178 Stanford Binet 161 cattel b so I am really gifted, but it is not always helpful when you think on such a high level that nobody can relate to you.
GooeyPig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:00:48 PM
It's been said in some form or another a few times now, but I personally think of it as being able to apply their knowledge and skills to problems. It doesn't really matter where those applications are demonstrated, as long as they're there.

A lot of academically smart people, the super-physics/bio/chem geniuses, had issues with their real-world lives. These guys were brilliant, but not in every area. Likewise, there are some people who are brilliant in everyday activities but can't get their heads around advanced maths or sciences.

I would argue that oftentimes the academically inclined have certain social disorders or inherent difficulties that put them at a disadvantage, but I don't know of any particular studies to back that up. I personally think more of academic intelligence when I think of a smart person, but I'm reminded of the fallacy of excluding "street smart" people pretty often.

I guess a key to being smart is understanding cause and effect; some people see them in different ways (I like to think of everything numerically, for example) and that leads to the specialization of their intelligence.
"Religion has convinced people that there"s an invisible man"living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn"t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
-George Carlin
TRUECRISTIAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:16:10 AM
Dear Godmocking Maggot;Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule of worshiping satan and being sodomized by strangers in public toilets to post this hateful message. The Holy Bible tells us that we are actually Blessed by your persecution! Thanks for proving that we're right
GooeyPig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 1:50:41 PM
At 12/24/2014 7:16:10 AM, TRUECRISTIAN wrote:
Dear Godmocking Maggot;Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule of worshiping satan and being sodomized by strangers in public toilets to post this hateful message. The Holy Bible tells us that we are actually Blessed by your persecution! Thanks for proving that we're right

Was that directed at me? Because I don't recall saying anything offensive in the post, and if I did, that wasn't the intent. I'd assume you mean my signature though, and if that's the case, then thank you for getting butthurt.

Sorry to anyone else if I said something rude regarding intelligence. In the post of course, the signature is what I would call "thought/completely-unthought-out-retaliation provoking" lol. I realize that would be offensive to anyone who doesn't even consider the validity of the quote, but ANYWAY I seem to have accidentally derailed this post, so hopefully someone restores it to normality.
"Religion has convinced people that there"s an invisible man"living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn"t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
-George Carlin
adareli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:32:24 PM
Well, don't care if a student gets A+ ,
if the same student does not know the basic things ,I don't count him as a smart person. Because we all know how to learn and remember the material, it doesn't mean the person is smart. I have kids in my class that sitting there not because they have knowledge, it's because they have good grades (I am in the highest class).
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:24:06 AM
"What does being "Smart" mean to you?"

Ah, it's the old... trick.

Would you believe...

Missed it by that much.

Pardon me while I get my shoe phone.

Maxwell
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:38:55 AM

Wearing a nice suit with a great pair of shoes
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Cana-banana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 10:41:31 AM
Actually, this is a topic I've been thinking about quite a lot personally - I used to think that 'smart' to me was just someone who was mathematically intelligent or knew extraordinarily much about about something without having studied it or similarly.
I found this link, though, which is quite interesting:
http://skyview.vansd.org...
I think it is one of the most enlightening pictures I've seen hahah - It has entirely changed my way of thinking of someone as 'smart', and I cannot even define what smart is to me anymore.
debatemath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 6:05:22 AM
I think that being smart means that you have acknowledge over the usual and that you think before you speak.
harrywellsy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 5:13:04 AM
smart mean have a good concept in knowledge, attitude and mentality. that's why nowadays every company who was looking for a job hada interview test to know people who apply's attitude and mentality.

cause we know that the people who make the world crush and burn is the smart guys. but the other one (I mean the ordinary people) prefer to follow the rules (Include using smart people's product) of the smart people. Ex: Bom!

We can compare the people who have the good attitude and mentality but not have enough knowledge than the people who only have smart in knowledge. So, I Recommend you all, not only smart in knowledge, but in mentality and the attitude
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:34:36 PM

Being smart means being multi skilled with loads of common sense. Reciting and reading books doesn't make you smart. It makes you educated. The dumbest people I know are the most educated.

debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:18:34 PM
For me it's mostly about analytical thinking. Someone can be an expert in a subject and not smart. Problem solving, the ability to find solutions or create new ones is what makes a person smart. Anyone can learn a formula and apply it to a theoretical problem but combining it with others to solve a real world problem is completely different.

Ex. Anyone can learn how much energy a calorie produces but applying that concept to figuring out how many more calories the body of an anorexic person needs to consume daily to recover from the consequences of a prolonged sickness is a very different thing.
whatthe.evrocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:19:11 PM
I think that anybody with common sense and the will to try hard is smart. Grades do not matter that much to yourself, but can affect your life in many different ways
Smarty Nerd
whatthe.evrocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:20:38 PM
At 2/26/2015 1:19:11 PM, whatthe.evrocks wrote:
I think that anybody with common sense and the will to try hard is smart. Grades do not matter that much to yourself, but can affect your life in many different ways

Yeah
Smarty Nerd
Prodigy0789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 7:03:00 PM
Being smart can be interpreted in many different ways, but I have found one ideology that sits well with me. Smart means that you can think with a different complexity and depth that other people do not share with you.You process thoughts on a higher level and you are able to work your way around problems that require a vivid logical mindset.