Jump to topic:

Should Russia be a monarchy again?

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 5:30:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Nooooooooo! Monarchy is an outdated political system that should be disposed of. The only reason that Russia's democracy is failing is because of its past history of totalitarianism.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 5:37:03 PM
At 4/21/2010 5:30:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nooooooooo! Monarchy is an outdated political system that should be disposed of.
Not sure Monarchy is any more outdated than any other political system, but
The only reason that Russia's democracy is failing is because of its past history of totalitarianism.
this here is true.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 5:48:58 PM
At 4/21/2010 5:47:09 PM, OLAN wrote:
It should due to the fact that its only had 3 presidents

Yes, but you have to remember the communist regime didn't fall until 1991 so they haven't really had too much time to have many presidents.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 5:49:01 PM
At 4/21/2010 5:47:09 PM, OLAN wrote:
It should due to the fact that its only had 3 presidents

Should? At any rate under such a premise you are condemning an infant for not playing as the adults do.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 6:52:38 PM
The Russian monarchy was no better than what succeeded it. Changing it back to a monarchy will only entrench the despotic trend of Russia's government.

Look, despite Russia's semi-authoritarian rule, its never been freer than in its current state. Russian culture, free speech and expression has really grown since the fall of the Soviet Union. Their economy has been wrecked and rebuilt, their empire has been destroyed and is still slipping away, yet all the while the media and arts culture has grown tremendously. Russians can move about freely, they can leave the country if they so choose, they can start up businesses without government watching their back (most of the time), they can express their opinions without fear of retribution (again, most of the time, there are obvious problems), there is no fraud in elections that's known (though United Russia does some funny intimidation in some areas), etc.

Russia isn't in as bad of a situation as most Western media says they are. Russia will probably never be fully democratic as Western nations (mostly) are, but they're getting close.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 4:02:28 AM
At 4/22/2010 3:59:06 AM, OLAN wrote:
Thst may be, but didnt Tsars like Peter the Great changed Russia?

He did, but he was still crazed war hungry tyrant.

A return to absolutist monarchy would be somewhat retrograde, constitutuional maybe. Then you have the issue that the succession is now somewhat confused.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 12:19:34 PM
The do have monarchy, Putin controls all!

But seriously, its been said that the greatest form of goverment is a benevolent dictator. If they could find a rightouss, competent individual who looked at the job of King as a service to his country, then yeah I think they should just go to having a monarchy for now.
But its hard to find such a person anymore.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 12:53:39 PM
At 4/21/2010 5:29:07 PM, OLAN wrote:
Some emperors were good for Russia, ergo, all emperors are good for Russia. I don't know what a non-sequitor is, silly me!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
OLAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 5:01:43 PM
At 4/22/2010 4:02:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

A return to absolutist monarchy would be somewhat retrograde, constitutuional maybe. Then you have the issue that the succession is now somewhat confused.

He wasnt a tyrant he was a military genius
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 5:04:42 PM
At 4/22/2010 5:01:09 PM, OLAN wrote:
For one thing, Putin at one time was president of Russia, but now he answers to his freind Medvedev.

Medvedev answers to Putin. :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 7:57:07 PM
At 4/22/2010 5:25:43 PM, OLAN wrote:
See this is what i mean. Democracy isnt going well for Russia. Their political system is bass-ackwards.

Not really. It's the same thing they've had forever; centralized authority, supported by the wealthy and the military.

It isn't the system - it's the Russians.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 8:03:25 PM
At 4/22/2010 7:57:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/22/2010 5:25:43 PM, OLAN wrote:
See this is what i mean. Democracy isnt going well for Russia. Their political system is bass-ackwards.

Not really. It's the same thing they've had forever; centralized authority, supported by the wealthy and the military.

It isn't the system - it's the Russians.

Truly, a worshipper of the state.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 8:09:47 PM
At 4/22/2010 8:03:25 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Truly, a worshipper of the state.

What? Even the Russian anarchists are dictatorial in their ideology. It's the culture that's grown out of Russia. Liberalism in any form never took real hold except among elites. They're opening up now as a country and a culture, but hey, I can't deny the facts.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 10:28:09 AM
At 4/22/2010 5:01:43 PM, OLAN wrote:
At 4/22/2010 4:02:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

He wasnt a tyrant he was a military genius

Why couldn't he be both?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 10:29:59 AM
At 4/23/2010 3:43:02 AM, OLAN wrote:
Yes but you have to remember people like Yeltsin or Gorbachev

What about them?

Yeltsin was a drunk, and Gorbachev punched above his weight.
OLAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 12:05:01 PM
At 4/23/2010 10:29:59 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/23/2010 3:43:02 AM, OLAN wrote:
Yes but you have to remember people like Yeltsin or Gorbachev

What about them?

Yeltsin was a drunk, and Gorbachev punched above his weight.

Gorbachev tore down berlin wall!!
OLAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 12:20:54 PM
Nooooooooo! Monarchy is an outdated political system that should be disposed of. The only reason that Russia's democracy is failing is because of its past history of totalitarianism.

Then why has monarchy worked for England?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 12:36:51 PM
At 4/23/2010 12:08:29 PM, OLAN wrote:
The Romanovs shoul come back to power. They handled the Empire better than the communists ever did

Which Romanov (which is not technically the name of the Imperial family) there are multiple claimants.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 12:38:29 PM
At 4/23/2010 12:20:54 PM, OLAN wrote:

Because it has been a Constitutional monarchy for 400 years, and a figure head one for nearly a hundred. We have a democratic tradition.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 5:17:47 PM
At 4/23/2010 12:20:54 PM, OLAN wrote:

Umm...no. Just no. They haven't had any real power for ages. Today they're just a symbolic figurehead.