Jump to topic:

School Textbooks

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 7:39:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is branch off of the Wikipedia one, but how and ever.

Has anyone ever had any run ins with textbooks that have false information\bias\don't deal with a topic properly?

The first have occurred often with my History textbook. My History teacher often gets us to blatantly mark to certain sentences simply because they're false. She also often points out bias in the book. Also, most of my textbooks deal with some topic horribly.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 7:48:59 AM
Well, I can only really figure out when textbooks have false information in them if I know another point of view, so the only ones I've seen that are bullsh!t while I'm actually enrolled in the class are this year's Gov and Econ classes. Retroactively (wording?) I've seen crap in the World History textbook, when it dealt with WW2. I don't know too much about much else, so I can't really say.

Vietnam actually wasn't that bad. Except for the fact that they didn't bold the fact that the Gulf of Tonkin was a complete lie, but hey, it's a government textbook.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:41:15 AM
At 4/30/2010 7:48:59 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Well, I can only really figure out when textbooks have false information in them if I know another point of view, so the only ones I've seen that are bullsh!t while I'm actually enrolled in the class are this year's Gov and Econ classes. Retroactively (wording?) I've seen crap in the World History textbook, when it dealt with WW2. I don't know too much about much else, so I can't really say.

What sort of crap? Granted, my books skims over it and waters it down. However, I'll be doing it in more detail next year.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:46:45 AM
At 4/30/2010 8:41:15 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/30/2010 7:48:59 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:

What sort of crap? Granted, my books skims over it and waters it down. However, I'll be doing it in more detail next year.

You know, coming into the year s planning to document absolutely every single piece of crap I'd find in the two books, but after the first quarter or so in the Econ semester and about four days int the Gov semester, I just gave up. There's too much of it to really say anything.

You know how it's easy to criticize the best people because when they do something wrong, it's just utterly obvious due to the rest of them being so awesome?

There's just too much wrong and nothing right in Gov and Econ. (Except for the first four chapters in Econ. The chapters that explained that Econ was about limited resources and unlimited wants. And the SD curves.)
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:48:02 AM
my psychology book referenced behaviorism without ever mentioning Skinner. if you know any psychology at all you'll know why thats totally f*cked. lol...

can't really think of anything else off the top of my head...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:55:14 AM
At 4/30/2010 8:48:02 AM, belle wrote:
my psychology book referenced behaviorism without ever mentioning Skinner. if you know any psychology at all you'll know why thats totally f*cked. lol...
Yeah that's pretty bad xD

Lassie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 5:53:36 PM
At 4/30/2010 7:39:22 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Has anyone ever had any run ins with textbooks that have false information\bias\don't deal with a topic properly?

Yes, it happens a lot here where you can simply point out contradictions in the books. It's highly irritating and it makes you wonder what you CAN trust for information
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 6:54:00 PM
At 4/30/2010 5:53:36 PM, Lassie wrote:

Yes, it happens a lot here where you can simply point out contradictions in the books. It's highly irritating and it makes you wonder what you CAN trust for information

Your own senses and your own intellect. The notion of a gospel out there somewhere is a fraud.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:21:32 PM
We're given courses on how to tell bias in drug trials. It was just hours of bashing the hard work of other scientists XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 2:44:45 PM

The first have occurred often with my History textbook. My History teacher often gets us to blatantly mark to certain sentences simply because they're false. She also often points out bias in the book. Also, most of my textbooks deal with some topic horribly.

most of the books in the leaving cert course are filled with oversimplified or bullsh1t information which apparently makes it easier for us.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 2:57:39 PM
At 5/1/2010 2:44:45 PM, badger wrote:

most of the books in the leaving cert course are filled with oversimplified or bullsh1t information which apparently makes it easier for us.

Why complain then?
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 3:04:24 PM
At 5/1/2010 2:57:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Why complain then?

Because it's wrong! My GCSE Citizenship, has the most basic ****, everywhere. The Lesson on EU Delegates system made me mentally cry, not to mention the bastardization of trade laws, child rights, economics.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 3:05:28 PM
At 5/1/2010 2:57:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Why complain then?

it discourages you from taking more of an interest and looking things up because the right information will be marked wrong in the leaving cert.
signature
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 3:23:06 PM

Definetely. Sometimes the text makes it harder for me to learn, and I most likely could have gotten the info elsewhere instead of reading a bunch of bizzare paragraphs on how beautiful Mars is.