5/5/2010 4:19:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/5/2010 4:18:14 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/5/2010 4:16:52 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/5/2010 4:15:03 PM, badger wrote:
me

anal prodding is never enjoyable.

wait... anal probing.

prodding would probably make you want to scream more though.
signature
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 5:38:13 PM
Is it just me or were the free response on the AP Calculus a bit harder than anyone expected?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2010 6:16:08 PM
At 5/5/2010 5:38:13 PM, Korashk wrote:
Is it just me or were the free response on the AP Calculus a bit harder than anyone expected?

I agree. They were really tough.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2010 7:02:35 AM
English today, Macro next week.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2010 7:42:00 AM
Good luck on your AP tests, guys. Work hard, but don't panic too much. There is no purpose for the AP test other than to land you into college and to be perfectly honest, the college you attend is of minimal significance.

What really matters is what you major in and what jobs you have had in the past. That's what will get you into your dream job.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2010 3:45:16 PM
At 5/6/2010 7:42:00 AM, Kleptin wrote:
Good luck on your AP tests, guys. Work hard, but don't panic too much. There is no purpose for the AP test other than to land you into college and to be perfectly honest, the college you attend is of minimal significance.

What really matters is what you major in and what jobs you have had in the past. That's what will get you into your dream job.

Expound plz.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 12:08:30 PM
At 5/7/2010 11:37:26 AM, innomen wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but... Are AP tests different than SAT's? You're all taking the same tests?

AP = Advanced Placement.

Essentially, they are classes that you take in high school that count as college credit.
Some schools only count the credit if the students taking the course (students don't even have to take the course, all they need to do is get a score of 3 out of a possible 5) pass the exam, but at my school, we don't have to pass for the class to count as a high school credit. It won't count as a college credit unless the college accepts it - usually you have to score a 5, and those are rare.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 12:12:43 PM
At 5/7/2010 12:08:30 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but... Are AP tests different than SAT's? You're all taking the same tests?

AP = Advanced Placement.

Essentially, they are classes that you take in high school that count as college credit.
Some schools only count the credit if the students taking the course (students don't even have to take the course, all they need to do is get a score of 3 out of a possible 5) pass the exam, but at my school, we don't have to pass for the class to count as a high school credit. It won't count as a college credit unless the college accepts it - usually you have to score a 5, and those are rare.

Credit in the college that you will be attending? That is a sweet deal. What would be the maximum number of credits you could take to college with you?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:31:12 PM
At 5/6/2010 3:45:16 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/6/2010 7:42:00 AM, Kleptin wrote:

Expound plz.

It's something that you hear a lot from upperclassmen and alums, if you have those sorts of things. When I was in highschool, we had a lot of alumni come back, those who were 2-3 years out of college already, and they tell us about the college experience to better prepare us.

One of the most curious things they told us was how everything we value will change as soon as we get in. Our school offers 31 APs and the kids go crazy with them, killing themselves to take as many as 7 or 8 AP classes during their 4 years. The first thing that the alumni tell us is how stupid it was to overload on AP classes.

Opting out of college classes means you opt out of easy grades, and you opt out of classes where you can meet other freshman, build connections, and be easily introduced to the college experience. They will force you into sophomore classes, which are harder. You'll also find it harder to mingle with people in your year. The only purpose you could have for exempting is to graduate earlier, which is miserable. My recommendation is to take the AP classes, take the AP exams, look competitive to the colleges, but don't overdo it and don't exempt yourself from any entry level classes.

As for jobs:

College admissions will care about GPA because they're trained to look for what they can. If you're going to college, you likely just came from highschool. Schools will want to accept you so they can boost their statistics and attract other students. At that point, students really have nothing of value besides their GPA.

Businesses don't advertise the statistics of their employees. Businesses are not a place to learn. They are a place to work. The only purpose that learning has, is in improving how well you work. In this regard, GPA isn't inapplicable, since it does show if you are a good learner, but it's a much smaller consideration.

The most important things are experience, adaptation, and people skills. That's why employers ask such weird interview questions. They're sick of hiring bookworms with no practical experience. Managers especially pay attention to "EQ vs IQ". They're also sick of hearing idealism from college grads (I almost screwed up my job interview because of that). If your feet aren't planted solidly on the ground, they won't hire you. If you want to change the structure of the company, or if you want to solve problems, or criticize policy, they won't hire you.

It's tough out there. I remember preparing for the APs and the SATs and such, and I thought it was annoying. It's way better than undergraduate courses, nothing compared to graduate courses, and paradise compared to job hunting. Enjoy it while you can, and try to lessen your load by getting a part-time job over the summer.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:41:12 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:31:12 PM, Kleptin wrote:
My recommendation is to take the AP classes, take the AP exams, look competitive to the colleges, but don't overdo it and don't exempt yourself from any entry level classes.

From any entry level classes?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:43:03 PM
Can anyone explain this American edumacation system to me, in regards to subjects. Are they chosen and regulated by the state? Are there coses that have to be taken? Is there standardised testing?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:47:35 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:43:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Can anyone explain this American edumacation system to me, in regards to subjects. Are they chosen and regulated by the state? Are there coses that have to be taken? Is there standardised testing?

Yes, the state has a mandatory general curriculum to ensure that students are proficient in math, science, history, etc. One may elect to take AP (Advanced Placement) classes which are supposedly harder. The idea behind it is to take an AP test at the end of the year, and if you pass, some colleges might give you credit for it. People do this (a) to save money; I forgot how much the test is but it's way cheaper than the college course equivalent and you get the same credit -- (b) to look good on their college applications.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:50:47 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:47:35 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/7/2010 1:43:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yes, the state has a mandatory general curriculum to ensure that students are proficient in math, science, history, etc. One may elect to take AP (Advanced Placement) classes which are supposedly harder. The idea behind it is to take an AP test at the end of the year, and if you pass, some colleges might give you credit for it. People do this (a) to save money; I forgot how much the test is but it's way cheaper than the college course equivalent and you get the same credit -- (b) to look good on their college applications.

Oh. Something like that here.

We have 3 mandatory subjects (Math, Irish, English) and then generally 3 -5 other optional subjects (E.g. Biology, Economics, History, Geography, French, German) are taken up.

Is your system something like at?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:53:15 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:41:12 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 5/7/2010 1:31:12 PM, Kleptin wrote:
My recommendation is to take the AP classes, take the AP exams, look competitive to the colleges, but don't overdo it and don't exempt yourself from any entry level classes.

From any entry level classes?

Yeah, AP classes can exempt you from entry level classes. That's what they were originally intended to do. A lot of schools accept AP courses as credit fulfillment. Things like Intro Calculus, Intro to English Lit/Language, Intro Econ, etc.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:54:23 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:53:15 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Yeah, AP classes can exempt you from entry level classes. That's what they were originally intended to do. A lot of schools accept AP courses as credit fulfillment. Things like Intro Calculus, Intro to English Lit/Language, Intro Econ, etc.

Right, I just don't get why I should sit through an entire semester listening to stuff I already know.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 1:55:24 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:54:23 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Right, I just don't get why I should sit through an entire semester listening to stuff I already know.

Because you're still under the false assumption that entry level classes are for you to learn.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 5:33:17 PM
At 5/7/2010 1:55:24 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 5/7/2010 1:54:23 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Because you're still under the false assumption that entry level classes are for you to learn.

and the part where you save a ton of money by graduating faster?

i had enough AP credit to shave probably two quarters off my college career. i could have graduated at 21 and saved some odd 6000 dollars. i dropped out instead, but thats rather beside the point :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
BIgMac_2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 5:36:43 PM
Adghkjgv;jwKJGVHjrbwegjvkhn my school makes AP US Government mandatory for all sophomores, but that was this past monday. Next week im taking English Lang & Comp, and Human geo. wednesday and friday respectively.

Next year i have IB exams which are a LOTTTT harder -_-
Body's breaking, drive me crazy
This is not your place
No, this is not your playground it's my heart
We were stupid, we got caught
Nothing matters anymore
So what? Here we are Juggernaut
- Coheed & Cambria

NOTE: WHEN SHOOTING A MIME, DO NOT USE A SILENCER OR HIS FRIENDS WILL HEAR YOU.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 8:04:42 PM
At 5/5/2010 4:39:11 PM, mongeese wrote:
Next Thursday, on the 13th, I have AP World History and AP Microeconomics on the same day. It'll be torture.

It won't be that bad dude. I'm actually looking forward to it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 3:06:47 PM
At 5/7/2010 5:33:17 PM, belle wrote:
and the part where you save a ton of money by graduating faster?

i had enough AP credit to shave probably two quarters off my college career. i could have graduated at 21 and saved some odd 6000 dollars. i dropped out instead, but thats rather beside the point :P

$6000 is probably considered a ton of money only *if* you're a dropout XD

No, the $6000 isn't worth it at all. Taking a whole bunch of APs just robs you of your high-school life, and exempting yourself from those classes doesn't do anything for early graduation unless you cram a bunch of extra credits in your schedule to graduate early (ruining your college life too).

There's nothing waiting for you outside college besides work. You're better off taking a few extra loans and making the best use of your time in college. Divide your course load. Get to know your colleagues. Get an internship or part-time job. Maybe major in something useful instead of just trying to take as many easy credits as you can.

College is about taking a deep breath and getting ready to streamline the rest of your life. Rushing out because you want to save a few pennies is stupid.

xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 4:12:13 PM
At 5/7/2010 12:12:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/7/2010 12:08:30 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

AP = Advanced Placement.

Credit in the college that you will be attending? That is a sweet deal. What would be the maximum number of credits you could take to college with you?

I am going to davenport University in the fall, and if I get a 3 on the AP Calc test (god that would be a miracle) then i get 12 (if i remember right) credit hours of math.