Jump to topic:

Your basic philosophical view.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:02:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What is your underlining moral philosophy?

I saw it claimed that I was Nihilistic. I'd have to say that's close but not quite. I do hold to one and only one moral principle; that is rationality. Rationality and the pursuit of such is the only morality.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:16:28 PM
Screw evil, be happy, synthesize everything.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:16:55 PM
The only principle you hold onto is that you can't hold onto any principle for 5 minutes.

As for my answer YALL KNOW.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:17:13 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:16:28 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

And what is evil?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:18:21 PM
Screw evil,
It's a serious psychological issue to have a high correlation between the categories

"What I want to screw"

"What is evil."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:19:53 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:16:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The only principle you hold onto is that you can't hold onto any principle for 5 minutes.

I've always held rationality as being my highest and only absolute since I first started thinking about philosophy. It's one thing that hasn't changed about me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:20:12 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:17:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:

And what is evil?
Something I'm not going to try bother explaining to most people. And you are "most people".

At 5/18/2010 10:18:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Screw evil,
It's a serious psychological issue to have a high correlation between the categories

"What I want to screw"

"What is evil."
Good thing I don't have that issue then~ :D
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:22:53 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:20:12 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

And what is evil?
Something I'm not going to try bother explaining to most people. And you are "most people".

Really? That's a shame. Why not?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:23:31 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:19:53 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I've always held rationality as being my highest and only absolute since I first started thinking about philosophy. It's one thing that hasn't changed about me.

Just five minutes ago you threw an irrational Argument from Intimidation at me. :)

Good thing I don't have that issue then~ :D
You just said you wanted to screw evil. It hasn't even been five minutes, you are worse than Freedo! :)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:27:55 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:23:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 5/18/2010 10:19:53 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Just five minutes ago you threw an irrational Argument from Intimidation at me. :)

And I did something inherently wrong. Having reason as my absolutely doesn't mean I'm absolutely reasonable. But you did fail to see the point in my statement.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:34:08 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:22:53 PM, FREEDO wrote:

And what is evil?

I don't find pondering the nature of evil a very pertinent or interesting issue and I've never really thought about it. To do a hell of a lot of soul searching because someone asked me a question is not the type of person I am - I look if I'm interested, and it's not (partially because I get pissed off at it). It's not particularly important for me to know all the intricacies of what it is either, because i know that every "evil" is in some way some form justifiable actions for justifiable means if you take a reasonably empathetic stance. So it doesn't really exist absolutely. But then again, what really does? I don't think about the question of metaphysics too much either, so don't start asking me questions like "if a tree falls in a forest and nothing's there to hear it does it make a sound". My answer to that though would depend on my mood. I can see it both ways if I'm detached/"depressed".

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:34:31 PM
My basic philosophical view is nihilistic, but utilizes ethics to enhance the experience of life for myself and others. The world is ultimately a non-existent illusion, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it.

"[In Buddhism,] the purpose of living an ethical life is to escape the suffering inherent in samsara (illusory world)." - http://en.wikipedia.org...

Another moral stance I take is a complete and utter dismissal of all authority.

"Because in this there is no teacher, no pupil; there is no leader; there is no guru; there is no Master, no Saviour. You yourself are the teacher and the pupil; you are the Master; you are the guru; you are the leader; you are everything." - J. Krishnamurti
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:36:09 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:34:08 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

And what is evil?

I don't find pondering the nature of evil a very pertinent or interesting issue and I've never really thought about it. To do a hell of a lot of soul searching because someone asked me a question is not the type of person I am - I look if I'm interested, and it's not (partially because I get pissed off at it). It's not particularly important for me to know all the intricacies of what it is either, because i know that every "evil" is in some way some form justifiable actions for justifiable means if you take a reasonably empathetic stance. So it doesn't really exist absolutely. But then again, what really does? I don't think about the question of metaphysics too much either, so don't start asking me questions like "if a tree falls in a forest and nothing's there to hear it does it make a sound". My answer to that though would depend on my mood. I can see it both ways if I'm detached/"depressed".

So you insist there should be no state on the earth, without even knowing what the earth is (metaphysics) :P
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:38:49 PM

And what is evil?

Ok, I'll respect that. But really no curiosity into the matter at all? You don't feel a need to understand something you say you oppose? I find that sad.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:40:03 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:36:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
So you insist there should be no state on the earth, without even knowing what the earth is (metaphysics) :P

I believe I've responded to this type of question before in Kleptin's emo thread. Go find that post and read it, pretentious snot.

Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:44:35 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:38:49 PM, FREEDO wrote:

And what is evil?

Ok, I'll respect that. But really no curiosity into the matter at all? You don't feel a need to understand something you say you oppose? I find that sad.

Well it's not that I have no curiosity, it's just that I have enough other things to be curious about that I end up "not bothering" with what evil is :P

And again, it helps (or doesn't help, depending on your objective/perspective) that I also hold the belief (sometimes) that evil doesn't really exist, as I believe that pretty much any action can be empathized with. After all, do people really look in the mirror and think "I'm evil"? Does a person do something if they believe it's wrong? I don't think so.

I also don't think it's a matter of "understanding what I oppose". My opposition to evil is more of an exception than the general rule. At least, that's what I think.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:53:57 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:40:03 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 5/18/2010 10:36:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I believe I've responded to this type of question before in Kleptin's emo thread. Go find that post and read it, pretentious snot.

That thread was 200 posts. Lawl.

After all, do people really look in the mirror and think "I'm evil"?

Aside from the video, do people look in the mirror and think "I'm a total dumb***? No. Does it then follow that they aren't a total dumb***?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:56:13 PM
There is no such thing as an evil person. Everyone has a good and a bad side to them.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:56:39 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:56:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
There is no such thing as an evil person. Everyone has a good and a bad side to them.

A baseless claim.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 10:58:10 PM

All I read from that post is "People have this switch, and sometimes, they're evil people, but other times, they're good people".

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:00:26 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:56:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:

A baseless claim.

For you to make the opposing claim, would be even more extraordinary and require more proof.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:01:54 PM
It is possible that all people are always good. It is possible that they all are always bad. It is possible that some are always bad or always good. Reasoning is needed to discern; baseless statements will not stand.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:02:24 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:58:10 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

All I read from that post is "People have this switch, and sometimes, they're evil people, but other times, they're good people".

No. That's not what was implied. Everyone is capable of doing right and wrong action. No one is perfect and has done only right action. No one is utterly evil and committed only wrong acts. It would be extraordinary to claim otherwise.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:05:06 PM
At 5/18/2010 11:03:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The definition of good and evil is first needed.

Evil. Harmful. Displeasing. Dissatisfactory.

Good. Not harmful. Pleasing. Satisfactory.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:06:17 PM
At 5/18/2010 11:02:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/18/2010 10:58:10 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

No. That's not what was implied. Everyone is capable of doing right and wrong action. No one is perfect and has done only right action. No one is utterly evil and committed only wrong acts. It would be extraordinary to claim otherwise.

Oh. Okay yeah, I agree with that. Seems kinda simplistic but that's coo too :D

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:07:28 PM
At 5/18/2010 11:05:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/18/2010 11:03:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The definition of good and evil is first needed.

So hedonism, no? Pleasure is good and displeasure is bad?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:16:31 PM
At 5/18/2010 11:07:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/18/2010 11:05:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So hedonism, no? Pleasure is good and displeasure is bad?

Not entirely, no. Harming another is bad. Not harming people is good. Morality is as simple as that.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 11:20:03 PM
At 5/18/2010 10:02:10 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I saw it claimed that I was Nihilistic. I'd have to say that's close but not quite. I do hold to one and only one moral principle; that is rationality. Rationality and the pursuit of such is the only morality.

Consequentialist: http://plato.stanford.edu...

Moral Realist: http://plato.stanford.edu...

The rightness or wrongness of an action can be found in the consequences -or potential consequences- it produces in the real world. These consequences can be deemed good if they maximize wellbeing for all of those affected (i.e. greatest good for the greatest number). There are objectively better and worse ways to provide for wellbeing; hence, there are objective facts to be known about reality.

If this all seems abstract, think of it like this. There is a continuum of possible wellbeing in the world.

This continuum can be represented by a scale that goes from [-10] to [10].

<--[-10]-----------------0-----------------[10]-->

[-10] occurs when everyone is absolutely miserable.

[10] occurs when everyone is in a state of bliss.

The correct political systems, moral actions etc. are those that provide the greatest amount of wellbeing to everyone (i.e., those actions which move us along the scale as far right as possible). All lesser ethical obligations are to be found from here.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright