Jump to topic:

Jobs : (

Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 9:17:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm in this crappy situation where I have to deicide on my Job interest(at least the field) before the end of my school year. I'm split between what pays well and what I enjoy.

I was always raised to appreciate knowledge and such, that's why I had that "be a doctor backing" from my parents. Still I'm still ??? on the idea. I always had this plan that I'll only follow a theoretic career if I got into Cambridge or Imperial and If I didn't I'll always take what earns me the most money. The reason I'm starting my carrier decision now is because I'm mecha methodical and like to feed all I have into one thing ahead to time. :P

I heard in America there's a cultural rule about degrees and such and how you have to be of Yale quality if you want to do Philosophy, Sociology or anything related because you WON'T get a job EVER and it shows "a simple mind" in employment. I also heard that all smart students must take engineering or are wasting there intellect. Another one I heard is: "you're better off not getting a degree than taking a degree in a simple subject". I know many on site will disagree with this comment with all conviction, but it got me thinking.

So my questions are, what subjects did you do(are you doing)? Do you like them? What made you do them? Are you confident in a career after your degree?

Any help is welcome, thank you forehand DDO.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 9:28:26 PM
At 6/3/2010 9:17:15 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
I heard in America there's a cultural rule about degrees and such and how you have to be of Yale quality if you want to do Philosophy, Sociology or anything related because you WON'T get a job EVER and it shows "a simple mind" in employment.

I agree with the sentiments, although majors like psychology and sociology are still extremely popular and taken by a great number of students who go to not-so-great schools. And then they're surprised when no one wants to hire sociology major from Joe Blow University. More college students should focus on engineering and business subjects, rather than wasting four years and thousands of dollars on subjects that interest them.

I also heard that all smart students must take engineering or are wasting there intellect.

No. Completely wrong. Where did you hear this?

Another one I heard is: "you're better off not getting a degree than taking a degree in a simple subject". I know many on site will disagree with this comment with all conviction, but it got me thinking.

Eh, depends on what you mean by simple subject. I relatively agree though. Why major in sociology unless you're going to be a sociologist or academic of some sort? There's no point. It's a waste of time and money.

So my questions are, what subjects did you do(are you doing)? Do you like them? What made you do them? Are you confident in a career after your degree?

I'm a Junior in high school, I'll be a Senior next school year. Senior year is the last year before college/university (basically same thing in America).

I plan on majoring in Political Science. After I graduate, I plan on working for a few years. Most likely, this will be working for a politician or think tank or consultant of some sort. After this, I plan on going to law school. After law school, I don't wanna be a lawyer, I either wanna be a lobbyist or consultant or maybe a higher-up political aide. I'm pretty confident in my career plan and I'm extremely confident my Poli Sci major won't change. Law school could change though. My interest in politics and economics and philosophy has brought me in this direction.

I hope this helped somewhat. It seemed as though you were looking for personal experiences, not so much for personal advice. I'd be glad to help though. Off to bed now.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 9:45:41 PM
At 6/3/2010 9:28:26 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/3/2010 Zetsubou
I also heard that all smart students must take engineering or are wasting there intellect.

No. Completely wrong. Where did you hear this?
Student Room and /r9k/. I hear engineering alot, usally people annoyed about the stereotype that they're all in it for the money. It's $200k or so.

Another one I heard is: "you're better off not getting a degree than taking a degree in a simple subject". I know many on site will disagree with this comment with all conviction, but it got me thinking.

Eh, depends on what you mean by simple subject. I relatively agree though. Why major in sociology unless you're going to be a sociologist or academic of some sort? There's no point. It's a waste of time and money.
Arts, Social Anthropological subjects.

I plan on majoring in Political Science. After I graduate, I plan on working for a few years. Most likely, this will be working for a politician or think tank or consultant of some sort. After this, I plan on going to law school. After law school, I don't wanna be a lawyer, I either wanna be a lobbyist or consultant or maybe a higher-up political aide. I'm pretty confident in my career plan and I'm extremely confident my Poli Sci major won't change. Law school could change though. My interest in politics and economics and philosophy has brought me in this direction.

I hope this helped somewhat. It seemed as though you were looking for personal experiences, not so much for personal advice. I'd be glad to help though. Off to bed now.

e.e Law, I like political science though. I could never do Judicial studies because I disagree with the Law all the time, do you like the US Law? I would personally recommend direct economics. I don't think I know many Politicians (either side of the Atlantic) who didn't start without economics. Why Law? The man in the back but not the elected? Wise.

Advice, Experience, I still get the info, thanks again.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:25:06 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:18:44 PM, Koopin wrote:
All you need to do is quit school, get drunk, get a pot belly, and become a New England Patriots fan.

Then whats the distinction between me and you? :P
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:25:34 PM
The rest of us are getting into political science. It's clear there's no room for you. :P

What do you want out of life?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:26:56 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:25:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
All you need to do is quit school, get drunk, get a pot belly, and become a New England Patriots fan.

Oh, so cruel.
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:28:10 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:26:56 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 6/3/2010 10:25:06 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Oh, so cruel.
Correct answer: Levels of KFC in the bloodstream.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:29:11 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:25:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The rest of us are getting into political science. It's clear there's no room for you. :P

What kind of question is that?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:38:29 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:29:11 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Oh, that's right, you're a Christian. Take out student loans but don't go to school, give all the money to the poor and become a bankrupt missionary.

Or fix that little problem and talk to us again when you no longer subscribe to a religion that reserves heaven for those who DON'T seek earthly success.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:41:43 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:38:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Oh, that's right, you're a Christian. Take out student loans but don't go to school, give all the money to the poor and become a bankrupt missionary.

Or fix that little problem and talk to us again when you no longer subscribe to a religion that reserves heaven for those who DON'T seek earthly success.

5% of my earnings. Extra tax...

maybe.

-------------
Enjoyment preference
1. 6 year Social Anthropology biased fields. Politics-Psychology-Sociology(3 years)+1 Anthology and Archeology 2 hears.
2. Political Science and Economics .
3. Chemistry
4. Medicine
5. Engineering (Civil Electric)

By Salary (Employment saturation taken into account)
1. Medicine(private NHS sucks!!)
2. Engineering (Civil Electric)
3. Economics
4. Anthropology
5. Chemistry
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 11:35:25 PM
At 6/3/2010 10:41:43 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

maybe.

Go to 5:30 and listen to your master berate you for that bull****.

Alternatively, watch the whole series and reject masters. Your choice.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:06:12 AM
At 6/3/2010 11:35:25 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 6/3/2010 10:41:43 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

maybe.

Go to 5:30 and listen to your master berate you for that bull****.

Alternatively, watch the whole series and reject masters. Your choice.

Funny that, Sir Galt only ever listed the ills of the collective the altruist will. It always makes the enemy one thing and addressees once factor or the worst possibility of that factor. It assumes that one gains for the collective but achieves no gain himself.

An example will be your video.
This is the stupid errored axiom that makes Objectivism what it is. It's always their.

1) Altruism will ALWAYS offer you no gain.

Altruism is unnecessary, why must you rely of others, your own interest yada yada yada...

This is the odd part, I agree, in part. In theory Ethical egoism>Altruism. Altruism is too wide, it depends on you to work for a means that in uncertain in it goal. Still there is the quality of team work, to work to getter to achieve a goal. Rand calls Altruism and evil, how did altruism come about? Collective effort, you increasing your chances of success. It is biological quality that even microorganisms have. Objectivism says that anything you give must be a charity and by choice not obligation. Why give to charity anyway? Why care? After all it's the success of the individual. We work together to achieve more. Ethical egoism crates a divide, you and them. Man against the world. All against one. It puts the individual in a state to oppose others, answer this:

What is the difference between myself and others that justifies placing myself in this special category of importance?

Ethical Egotism and Objectivism(morally synonymous) are nothing more than arbitrary selfishness. There's nothing Objective about it.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 2:09:47 AM
After leaving full-time education I got a job as a junior lawyer.

From day one I had my own office, secretary and company car. There was certain amount of kudos attached with the job which helped attract a few girls but, at the end of the day, it was mind-numbingly dull and tedious work. It bored me to tears, it really did.

So I jacked it all in, moved to London and got a job in working for a tour operator. It wasn't well-paid and there was no seccy or company motor but it was brilliant fun. I didn't have much money but those years were the best years of my life.

I say, go for what you think you will enjoy rather than what your parents, teachers or anyone else expects you to do.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 2:59:32 AM
Funny that, Sir Galt only ever listed the ills of the collective the altruist will. It always makes the enemy one thing and addressees once factor or the worst possibility of that factor. It assumes that one gains for the collective but achieves no gain himself.
Actually, it concludes there is no gain at all ("Gain for the collective" is regarded as meaningless in Objectvism.

This is the stupid errored axiom that makes Objectivism what it is. It's always their.

1) Altruism will ALWAYS offer you no gain.
That's roughly as stupid as 2+2=4.If you're after a gain it isn't altruism.

This is the odd part, I agree, in part. In theory Ethical egoism>Altruism. Altruism is too wide, it depends on you to work for a means that in uncertain in it goal. Still there is the quality of team work, to work to getter to achieve a goal.
Irrelevant, egoists can perform in teams.

Rand calls Altruism and evil, how did altruism come about? Collective effort
No such thing exists. Effort is an individual quality, it cannot be made inherent to a collective. Multiple people can undertake it simultaneously, but the efforts do not thereby become the effort of one superbeing.

It is biological quality that even microorganisms have
Biology is irrelevant.

Objectivism says that anything you give must be a charity and by choice not obligation. Why give to charity anyway?
Objectivism doesn't propose that you do. It just doesn't forbid it like it does taxes.

We work together to achieve more.
Sometimes. And it is egoist to do so.

Ethical egoism crates a divide, you and them.
No. That IS a divide, whether you subscribe or not. It merely recognizes it.

Man against the world. All against one.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Good in general is not viewed as rivalrous in Objectivism.

What is the difference between myself and others that justifies placing myself in this special category of importance?
There's nothing special about it. You get your efforts. They get their efforts. Everyone gets the efforts of exactly one person to hold them up according to what they put in-- by the most direct measure possible :).

Ethical Egotism and Objectivism(morally synonymous) are nothing more than arbitrary selfishness. There's nothing Objective about it.
"Objective" modifies "ethics" not "Egoism." There are things that objectively will or will not achieve one's goals. Given the egoist premise, Objectivism follows-- well, quite objectively.

If you don't wanna be selfish, fine. Objectivism isn't for you. Something you've been dishonestly evading is-- selling off ALL YOUR GOODS (not 5 percent. I wouldn't think being 95 percent burning in hell is pleasant). just like Christ asked of you. Do I detect a kernel of selfishness you've beaten deep into yourself, that refuses to let you obey Christ?

Dunno why you'd wanna obey him anyway, since his claims of reward contradict his ethics, but you purport to. Without self-interest I'm fairly sure I'd undertake no actions whatsoever-- what would be the point? What would I gain from an action? :)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:49:36 AM
i'm almost kinda an engineer. it's actually more interesting than you'd think and there's a lot of pride to go with it, but it still gets old fast.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 12:03:25 PM
I personally am leaning towards History, and hopefully becoming a Historian. Failing that, I'd do Political science and work as a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. Failing that, an economist or journalist.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:17:23 PM
At 6/3/2010 9:17:15 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

I heard in America there's a cultural rule about degrees and such and how you have to be of Yale quality if you want to do Philosophy, Sociology or anything related because you WON'T get a job EVER and it shows "a simple mind" in employment. I also heard that all smart students must take engineering or are wasting there intellect. Another one I heard is: "you're better off not getting a degree than taking a degree in a simple subject".

That's a bunch of crap. I went to college with the same intentions as Naggs, and was a political science major and was going to work for a politician or become a lawyer (I was actually elected to local office many years ago). However the need for money was real. I was not a beneficiary of a trust fund and had to support myself. If you have financial support beyond your college undergrad years then it changes things a bit. However, there are so many jobs out there that you don't even know about, and so many jobs that allow you to use your talents and passions where you wouldn't expect. You're what 14?! Choose your direction now, what you like, what you're good at, and things will eventually work out. I am a sales executive for a major corporation and make pretty good money. I am also able to pull my talents and passions and bring it into what i do, and it allows me to do what i do very well. Point is, it is doubtful that your decision now will have any bearing on your precise job in 20 years - but your innate talents will. Allow them to grow and continue to stay open to all opportunities and you will be amazed with what comes your way.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:49:49 PM
More college students should focus on engineering and business subjects, rather than wasting four years and thousands of dollars on subjects that interest them.

Yes and no. This is a nice textbook answer but does not reflect the real world. A majority of jobs come from networking and not necessarily what you majored in. Here's an example: my aunt majored in business, and then went on to become a physical massage therapist (working for a chiropractor), a 5th grade teacher and is now the dean of an elementary school. My uncle majored in biology thinking he'd become a doctor; he now works in advertising. I know a dozen business majors who have graduated in the past 2 years and they are all unemployed.

Meanwhile, those who majored in their fields of interest have jobs or are no worse off. Additionally if you major in something you like you will have a higher GPA which is also relevant. If everyone majors in business it will devalue the business degree. Everyone and their mother is going into business lol or law. But did you know that law schools look most favorably upon those who apply with irrelevant (like biology) degrees?

Because companies hire non-business majors... You're only thinking about ONE aspect of business - the people with the ties who sit in their little cubicles. Corporations hire psychologists and sociologists all the time for advertising purposes. Many sociology majors go into fields like social service, hospitals, customer service, management, market research and public relations.

I plan on majoring in Political Science. After I graduate, I plan on working for a few years. Most likely, this will be working for a politician or think tank or consultant of some sort.

Haha you really think that Poli Sci is more likely to get you a job or a better job than a sociology major can get? Poli Sci is the staple for any pre-law individual and that's why it's not really a big deal. Everyone and their mother wants to go to law school.

I'm pretty confident in my career plan and I'm extremely confident my Poli Sci major won't change. Law school could change though. My interest in politics and economics and philosophy has brought me in this direction.

Best of luck...
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:54:20 PM
At 6/4/2010 1:49:49 PM, theLwerd wrote:
More college students should focus on engineering and business subjects, rather than wasting four years and thousands of dollars on subjects that interest them.

Yes and no. This is a nice textbook answer but does not reflect the real world. A majority of jobs come from networking and not necessarily what you majored in. Here's an example: my aunt majored in business, and then went on to become a physical massage therapist (working for a chiropractor), a 5th grade teacher and is now the dean of an elementary school. My uncle majored in biology thinking he'd become a doctor; he now works in advertising. I know a dozen business majors who have graduated in the past 2 years and they are all unemployed.

Meanwhile, those who majored in their fields of interest have jobs or are no worse off. Additionally if you major in something you like you will have a higher GPA which is also relevant. If everyone majors in business it will devalue the business degree. Everyone and their mother is going into business lol or law. But did you know that law schools look most favorably upon those who apply with irrelevant (like biology) degrees?

Because companies hire non-business majors... You're only thinking about ONE aspect of business - the people with the ties who sit in their little cubicles. Corporations hire psychologists and sociologists all the time for advertising purposes. Many sociology majors go into fields like social service, hospitals, customer service, management, market research and public relations.

I plan on majoring in Political Science. After I graduate, I plan on working for a few years. Most likely, this will be working for a politician or think tank or consultant of some sort.

Haha you really think that Poli Sci is more likely to get you a job or a better job than a sociology major can get? Poli Sci is the staple for any pre-law individual and that's why it's not really a big deal. Everyone and their mother wants to go to law school.

I'm pretty confident in my career plan and I'm extremely confident my Poli Sci major won't change. Law school could change though. My interest in politics and economics and philosophy has brought me in this direction.

Best of luck...

Everyone and their mother does go to law school.

Agree with everything you said.