Jump to topic:

College Should Not be Free

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 1:01:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A college scholarship will lose its worth if it's something that just anyone can grab. It is wrong to make some people pay for someone else's privilege that they never earned in the first place. If we make it free, it'll place a hefty and unnecessary tax burden on the people who know how to work. Colleges need to be paid somehow. Also, high school scholarships will be of less worth because every college is free anyways. It will cause students to care less about working hard for a scholarship that could benefit them and demonstrate their efforts of hard work. Capitalism is the true way to have the best society.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:42:25 PM
College is already free, if you do not have any money.
On my welfare caseload, people with masters degrees, paid for by the taxpayers, who get more in food stamps then they earn each year, for the last ten years. Only two with masters, but I am only one worker among thousands.
Twice as many with four year degrees, same deal, more in food stamps than earnings. I see the wage reports, and benefit history.
Double that for 2 year degrees, same deal.
Double that for trade school graduates, same deal.
Many of these have no H.S. diploma, only a GED. No scholastic or athletic scholarships. Grants, and loans that will never be repaid.

Food stamps is only part of the welfare package - in dollars, double that amount.

And do not forget, many more with free college of varying amounts, who have earnings greater than welfare, but still on welfare.

In all probability, It is worse than you think.
cmbart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 11:23:26 AM
College should be free for some people, you make it sound like everyone uses the help for no good. If a student tries to go to college and gets helpe that shows they want an education. So some people without any money needs help. They want to make me of themselves doesnt mean they don't work but shows there broke for whatever reason. Everyone deserves a chance for an education.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 7:44:02 AM
At 2/16/2015 4:50:08 AM, darkkermit wrote:
And it isn't free anywhere. The difference is whether you actually use the service whn you pay for it or not.

Well, nothing is free. Somebody, somewhere, sometime is going to pay for it.
If you get it, and never pay for it, it is free to you. If you do not put it to use, others, who paid for it, get nothing for their money.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 8:06:57 PM
At 2/3/2015 1:01:19 AM, Varrack wrote:
A college scholarship will lose its worth if it's something that just anyone can grab. It is wrong to make some people pay for someone else's privilege that they never earned in the first place. If we make it free, it'll place a hefty and unnecessary tax burden on the people who know how to work. Colleges need to be paid somehow. Also, high school scholarships will be of less worth because every college is free anyways. It will cause students to care less about working hard for a scholarship that could benefit them and demonstrate their efforts of hard work. Capitalism is the true way to have the best society.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
natfrank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 1:02:55 PM
At 2/3/2015 1:01:19 AM, Varrack wrote:

I agree that college should not be completely free, however as Welfare-Worker pointed out certain economical situations are more readily prone to give college access to students. Thus, many people already get into college on privilege they never earned in the first place. Secondly while it is true that a good amount of high school scholarships are merit based, it is also true that not everyone gets into college, for colleges also evaluate how hard students work.

I would argue that while college should not be free it should be equally accessible no matter what economic standing. For those come from a wealthy background, or even those from a poorer background (at least if they make it to college) have a much better chance at affording college than some middle class families.