Jump to topic:

KNOWLEDGE OF THE BIBLE vs. COLLEGE EDUCATION

Bible-Prophecy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:17:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), was the 26th President of the United States (1901-1909) and a Harvard graduate (Class of 1880).

Roosevelt expressed high value in Scripture. He said:
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education."

Reference: America's God & Country Encyclopedia of Quotations,
by William J. Federer, Page 539-540.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 6:06:47 AM
At 2/14/2015 3:17:12 AM, Bible-Prophecy wrote:

He was right in principle, since it's nigh impossible for an atheist to get elected to federal US legislature, no matter how qualified.
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 3:09:57 PM
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), was the 26th President of the United States (1901-1909) and a Harvard graduate (Class of 1880).

I imagine that this quote should be framed from our perspective of Roosevelt's obvious convictions. He believes the bible to be a building block of life, written by the divine and absolutely true.

To me, it's akin to saying "Better to know the meaning of life (or how to live) than to get a college education." I can readily agree with that. Though if the bible actually enumerates the meaning of life or how to properly live it is up for dispute, obviously.
KnowledgeBot5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 9:36:18 AM
Never before in the History of mankind as 1 single book caused so much confusion in interpretation that hundreds of other books have been created, along with class/courses on learning how to read it and interpret its contents, and yet its still very confusing- I would guess, that it will always be.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:03:39 PM

Take one look at the state of higher education today and the people who run it and one can only say no truer words have ever been spoken.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 8:49:55 PM
At 3/6/2015 9:36:18 AM, KnowledgeBot5 wrote:
Never before in the History of mankind as 1 single book caused so much confusion in interpretation that hundreds of other books have been created, along with class/courses on learning how to read it and interpret its contents, and yet its still very confusing- I would guess, that it will always be.

I find that most of the confusion stems from people (believers and non) not wanting to interpret it a certain way against their own beliefs.

Starting point: Being gay is OK. The Bible is also good.
Conclusion: The parts of the Bible that say being gay is bad must mean something else.

Starting point: My smart teacher says evolution is true. I believe in God.
Conclusion. The parts of the Bible that says the Earth was created in 6 days must mean something else.

Starting point: The Bible is all false.
Conclusion: Nothing recorded historically in the Bible can be trusted.

It's not just the Bible people do this to. People try to see evidence in a way to support their case whenever possible.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Bible-Prophecy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 10:26:20 PM
The Holy Bible says,
For God is not the author of confusion,... (1 Corinthians 14:33).

KnowledgeBot5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 11:30:09 AM
At 3/11/2015 10:26:20 PM, Bible-Prophecy wrote:
The Holy Bible says,
For God is not the author of confusion,... (1 Corinthians 14:33).

But he is, the proof is in the garden of Eden, his instructions to Eve and Adam where very vague, and what do we people do when we receive vague instructions?

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 2:47:27 PM

Jesus did not go to college.

if you are thinking about going to college ask WWJD
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:54:16 PM
At 2/27/2015 6:06:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

He was right in principle, since it's nigh impossible for an atheist to get elected to federal US legislature, no matter how qualified.

lol. That's true.