Jump to topic:

Mentors

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 10:43:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am considering doing some mentoring. I have in the past spent time with people that are going through difficulties in life, but haven't done this in a while, and would like to get back to it. However, i am thinking of doing it more in the area of scholastics. Here is an excerpt of the program i am considering:
"Minds Matter's mission to transform the lives of accomplished high school students from low-income families by broadening their dreams and preparing them for college success. In order to do this sophomore, junior and seniors are matched with two mentors that met with the students every week from September to May. The students apply to summer programs and college with the help of their mentors. Our students work with mentors on applications, resumes, essay, etc." It's 2-3 hours of time, each Saturday throughout the school year, a pretty heavy obligation.

What are your opinions of such a program? Are there better options for my intentions?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:52:53 PM
At 7/11/2010 10:43:29 AM, innomen wrote:
What are your opinions of such a program? Are there better options for my intentions?

I'm not so knowledgeable about mentor programs, but this seems great. There are a lot of underprivileged out there that could use your guidance. All the best of luck, man!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:54:58 PM
At 7/11/2010 1:52:53 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/11/2010 10:43:29 AM, innomen wrote:

I'm not so knowledgeable about mentor programs, but this seems great. There are a lot of underprivileged out there that could use your guidance. All the best of luck, man!

Thx
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:57:51 PM
At 7/12/2010 3:52:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
What will you be mentoring?

I think you mean "who" panda, you mentor people, not things.

I've done mentoring before, with young offenders. I found it challenging but rewarding, and volunteering as a mentor helped me get paid work.

Best of luck with this innomen.