Jump to topic:

Free Tuition at Community/Technical Colleges

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:47:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is the new public forum resolution for March, and I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Should tuition be free for everyone? For low income families?

Should conditions be attatched to tuition? (i.e. maintaining a high GPA, attending part time)

Would this actually increase the graduation rate?

I feel like this topic is easier for con than the pro, but I haven't solidified my opinion yet.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:48:52 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoys education topics, lol. Hopefully some people have thoughts on this resolution.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:00:28 PM
At 2/22/2015 6:48:52 PM, debatability wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoys education topics, lol. Hopefully some people have thoughts on this resolution.

I'll type out some long rant on this when I get some breathing room from homework-for-days (Inc). Remind me if I forget, lol.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:07:52 PM
At 2/22/2015 7:00:28 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 2/22/2015 6:48:52 PM, debatability wrote:

I'll type out some long rant on this when I get some breathing room from homework-for-days (Inc). Remind me if I forget, lol.

Alright; the longer the better - I need ideas.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 6:20:58 AM
At 2/22/2015 6:47:57 PM, debatability wrote:
This is the new public forum resolution for March, and I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Should tuition be free for everyone? For low income families?

Should conditions be attatched to tuition? (i.e. maintaining a high GPA, attending part time)

Would this actually increase the graduation rate?

I feel like this topic is easier for con than the pro, but I haven't solidified my opinion yet.

Lot of people on my chronic welfare caseload got free tuition, still do.
Two have Masters, get more in food stamps than earnings, year after year.
More with four year degrees, same deal.
Lots with some college, and come technical school degrees, not working in the field they were trained in, still on welfare.
Families of 3 or 4 persons have no income, except "money for school", and live off that for a year or two. About half complete college, get jobs, get off welfare, others do not.

The difference between what we have and what you propose are the requirements for grades and attendance. I got my first welfare caseload in 1977, and can say from experience that such requirements will not pass.
internet degrees are getting big with the welfare people, attendance requirements mean just about nothing. The grades issue has more teeth, but such ideas are never implemented.
People who pay for their own education require a 'c' average (as I recall), just to stay in school.
If someone else is paying for it, it should be a 'B; average, IMO.

Payback of loans is also not going to happen, unless you threaten them with jail, and carry it out. Very common to see absent parents with child support back payment obligation of $50,000 more, from the welfare crowd.

What is currently available for welfare families is very generous.
Some students manage to separate themselves from the parents, and get classified as 'welfare', due to age and family size.
In one case the mother owned the apartment building, (more than 10 units) gave her daughter and her boyfriend a free apartment, car and cell phone. She lived off zero income food stamps and college money. not a lot like that, but not that unusual either.

In the welfare world 'low income' generally means 'no income'.
20% of all food stamp households have zero gross income, and another 20% have zero net income - 40% total.
Remove 'low income' from your plan, and make it low interest loans, with delayed payback, and I might go for it.
That in itself would be very expensive.