Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Online School

lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:21:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What are your different veiws on it?

I think especially in my case its the best way for me to get my high school education, but there are alot of people against it and they tend to use the same arguements and the arguements tend to have easy solutions. Such as

1) Socializing- There are many non school ways to socialize, I know some people at the school, I can have lunch with them, hang out with them in various places. Theres also martial arts and/or sports, and jobs. All of these are social things that happen and not online.

2) Responsibility- I actually am quite responsible most of the time.

3) Getting help- I'd prolly get more help from parents and online sources and maybe even the teachers online than in a typical classroom.

I still want to know different thoughts on this subject though.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:26:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:21:08 PM, lovelife wrote:
What are your different veiws on it?

I think especially in my case its the best way for me to get my high school education, but there are alot of people against it and they tend to use the same arguements and the arguements tend to have easy solutions. Such as

1) Socializing- There are many non school ways to socialize, I know some people at the school, I can have lunch with them, hang out with them in various places. Theres also martial arts and/or sports, and jobs. All of these are social things that happen and not online.

2) Responsibility- I actually am quite responsible most of the time.

3) Getting help- I'd prolly get more help from parents and online sources and maybe even the teachers online than in a typical classroom.

I still want to know different thoughts on this subject though.

I've always wanted to do online school since high school students are vicious... I stick out... :D

Anywhoo, the education is the same and you can go at your own pace. I'm all for it! Go for it!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:26:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
didn't you already post this topic?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:37:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:26:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
didn't you already post this topic?

Sorta. It was kinda like this and it was under technology. That doesn't get alot of posts and I really need some feedbaack cause I'm in favor of it, but kinda nervous cause never done it before.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:42:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I wouldn't mind doing it. From what I hear, it's actually less demanding than normal school, and you don't have to spend time with teachers, faculty, peers, etc. that you don't care about.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:47:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Yea not having to deal with the people while doing school work and being able to go my own pace are some things I like about the idea.

Normal school you spend about 8 hours everyday, sometimes more. Online school cut that in half. And you get to choose your too lazy days. I pick Monday and Thursday, unless my stepdad gets one of those days off.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:50:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!

That'd be awesome! :D
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:51:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!

Are you referring to that College Online commercial? I have to say, both of these girls are relatively cute.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:56:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

I heard that teens don't actually learn well until the afternoon, making the morning classes less effective. Didn't think to use that arguement against my dad (he doesn't actually have a say cause mom has custody, but he screamed at me for thinking about it and said it would do more harm than good)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 7:58:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:51:37 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!

Are you referring to that College Online commercial? I have to say, both of these girls are relatively cute.

Gotta start wearing PJs so I can wear them at "School" then. Lmao are their restrictions to when in a year you can start? Like an you start in the summer and skip a few weeks when you want a vacation? And can you walk around during the day and go out to eat? I had a friend that was suspended for drugs and she took a walk and the cops got her for truancy.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 8:24:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:58:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:51:37 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!

Are you referring to that College Online commercial? I have to say, both of these girls are relatively cute.

Gotta start wearing PJs so I can wear them at "School" then. Lmao are their restrictions to when in a year you can start? Like an you start in the summer and skip a few weeks when you want a vacation? And can you walk around during the day and go out to eat? I had a friend that was suspended for drugs and she took a walk and the cops got her for truancy.

I believe that all you have to do for online school is to take all of the required exams, complete most of the assigned work, pass the courses, etc. Some don't have scheduled times, which means you can take a break at any time. However, I'm pretty sure you need to finish the course within a year.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 8:29:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 8:24:59 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:58:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:51:37 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:48:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:43:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There seems to be alot of flexability with this stuff too, like you could pretty much work at your own pace.

Ann said that, but it is a good point. You can sleep in, even wait until late at night to do the schoolwork. Sleep during the day, do work at night. You can probably skip a couple days of the week and still get online schoolwork done much quicker than you would at normal school.

And go to school in your pajamas!!

Are you referring to that College Online commercial? I have to say, both of these girls are relatively cute.

Gotta start wearing PJs so I can wear them at "School" then. Lmao are their restrictions to when in a year you can start? Like an you start in the summer and skip a few weeks when you want a vacation? And can you walk around during the day and go out to eat? I had a friend that was suspended for drugs and she took a walk and the cops got her for truancy.

I believe that all you have to do for online school is to take all of the required exams, complete most of the assigned work, pass the courses, etc. Some don't have scheduled times, which means you can take a break at any time. However, I'm pretty sure you need to finish the course within a year.

I know its like 4 hours a day 5 days a week but there's still vacation time you get with public schools. It doesn't dictate which days a week or which 4 hours, so just wondering about the vacation time.

That would be really awesome if I could just choose tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 9:25:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay I just got my login info...I have no clue what to do and neither do my parents. It shows I need to finish the intro, but I watched the video and it gives nothing else. It says my progress is 0%, and idk what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone know anything about how it works? Anyone familiar with ROADS at all?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Pirate
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:22:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
And go to school in your pajamas!!

i go to school in my pjs prolly like once a week. i used to do it pretty much every day when i lived in a dorm. you don't need online school for that :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:42:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM, Pirate wrote:
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.

http://roads.advancedacademics.com...

And yes its free.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:43:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:22:15 PM, belle wrote:
At 7/15/2010 7:49:36 PM, annhasle wrote:
And go to school in your pajamas!!

i go to school in my pjs prolly like once a week. i used to do it pretty much every day when i lived in a dorm. you don't need online school for that :P

Lol, but did you pick your own hours? :p
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:45:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:42:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM, Pirate wrote:
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.

http://roads.advancedacademics.com...

And yes its free.

its free o.O

how does this work exactly?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:51:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:45:15 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/3/2010 8:42:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM, Pirate wrote:
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.

http://roads.advancedacademics.com...

And yes its free.

its free o.O

how does this work exactly?

http://www.oklahomavirtualhighschool.com...

Public school districts put up the funding to the private party providing such

The company is a subsidiary of Devry.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:56:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:45:15 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/3/2010 8:42:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM, Pirate wrote:
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.

http://roads.advancedacademics.com...

And yes its free.

its free o.O


Yea?

how does this work exactly?

Its a public school that has the course material uploaded and customized to run on the internet. I don't understand everything about it, but it seems really awesome.
I have 105 days to get all of my (5) classes work done, most is multiple choice, fill in the blank, true/false, some are short/long answer, and a few essays, midterms, and finals.
About 30 total assignments in each class. Also 24/7 support, and teachers seem to be online alot for additional help. I messed up my first spanish assignment but I understand why now, and now I'm doing better and maybe I can retake my assignment later if I don't have a high A soon.

Its like the best thing ever for me. for some reason learning de-stresses me, so I can do it almost whenever, without other students harassing me :) I love it, and recomend it to anyone who can stay on track, or are workaholics, or find plessure in learning. lol
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 9:00:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:51:56 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The company is a subsidiary of Devry.

LOL. of course it is.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 9:01:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 8:56:03 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 8:45:15 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/3/2010 8:42:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 2:18:42 PM, Pirate wrote:
So exactly where do you go to online school, and is it free? Because i wouldn't mind learning maths for the upcoming years, it would be fun.

http://roads.advancedacademics.com...

And yes its free.

its free o.O


Yea?

how does this work exactly?

Its a public school that has the course material uploaded and customized to run on the internet. I don't understand everything about it, but it seems really awesome.
I have 105 days to get all of my (5) classes work done, most is multiple choice, fill in the blank, true/false, some are short/long answer, and a few essays, midterms, and finals.
About 30 total assignments in each class. Also 24/7 support, and teachers seem to be online alot for additional help. I messed up my first spanish assignment but I understand why now, and now I'm doing better and maybe I can retake my assignment later if I don't have a high A soon.

Its like the best thing ever for me. for some reason learning de-stresses me, so I can do it almost whenever, without other students harassing me :) I love it, and recomend it to anyone who can stay on track, or are workaholics, or find plessure in learning. lol

that sounds pretty nice actually.... but i predict that keeping up with your work will be difficult when its so easy to procrastinate :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 9:22:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 9:01:31 PM, belle wrote:

that sounds pretty nice actually.... but i predict that keeping up with your work will be difficult when its so easy to procrastinate :P

Lol its epic. If I had a laptop, I would never have to leave bed. I would never want to.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 9:25:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 9:22:02 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 9:01:31 PM, belle wrote:

that sounds pretty nice actually.... but i predict that keeping up with your work will be difficult when its so easy to procrastinate :P

Lol its epic. If I had a laptop, I would never have to leave bed. I would never want to.

your lack of laptop is saving yer life. Blood clots lie down that path
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 10:02:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/3/2010 9:25:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/3/2010 9:22:02 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/3/2010 9:01:31 PM, belle wrote:

that sounds pretty nice actually.... but i predict that keeping up with your work will be difficult when its so easy to procrastinate :P

Lol its epic. If I had a laptop, I would never have to leave bed. I would never want to.

your lack of laptop is saving yer life. Blood clots lie down that path

Eh, nothing saves my life forever.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave