Jump to topic:

News and education.

Pirate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 2:39:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Earlier tonight i was watching the news. They spoke about the fact that there are 5Billion mobile phones being used on the planet, and they only covered the historical aspect of it, showing how cellphones were at the very beginning, etc... Then, they very shortly covered environnement impact of said phones. The journalist said something like "This could pollute the planet.". They also spoke about how people put their cellphones into garbage 1 year and a half after purchase instead of the 5 years they could last.

Then, the next article, under the title "Environnement", was about seaweed that was being fed by agriculture and chimical pesticides, and how it was infecting the whole coast and killing fishes. Ok.

And then i thought: "What the f.ck?". Why would they speak of FIVE BILLION CELLPHONES under the cathegory "Miscelanious" when they have an "Environnement" cathegory for their news?? They show usefull sh.t like a jackass buying the first cellphone to show off, but nothing about the impact on the environnement. Are you kidding me?

Media transmit an image of ecology that is wrong. They seem to make a difference between "environnement" and what we do. As if we had no impact, or if it was only a few profession's fault (farmers with their pesticides). It's never the average consummers fault. BUT IT IS FOR F.CKS SAKE!

http://www.uoregon.edu...

Sources are few. This one only says a few numbers. I wish i could find a chart showing how much CO2 equivalent is put into the atmosphere for us to phone each other.

And with all this, no-one made the link between 5Bil cellphones and environnement.

This is sad, no-one cares.

Don't call me an hypocrit for using a computer, you're using one yourself. Also i'm not militating against the use of cellphones. We're in a chaotic society where everyone buys what they want, so if i say anything you'll call me a Communist or whatever. I sympathise with communists but that's not the matter here.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:55:38 PM
probably because the impact of cell phones on the environment is negligible assuming they are disposed of properly. and theres actually laws requiring that they be recycled because they contain toxic materials. its a pretty well publicized thing. so... of all the things you could be worrying about, this is one of the most ridiculous :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:56:39 PM
Don't call me an hypocrit for using a computer, you're using one yourself.
But I'm not an environmentalist :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.