Jump to topic:

The tree of 'life'.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:31:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Every tree has roots, we all know that, the roots keep every plant alive. But what are the roots, if in the evolutionary tree of life's branches are the progression of different animal families, what are it's roots?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:33:15 PM
At 7/17/2010 6:31:35 PM, GodSands wrote:
Every tree has roots, we all know that, the roots keep every plant alive. But what are the roots, if in the evolutionary tree of life's branches are the progression of different animal families, what are it's roots?

Wow this is really short for a thread made by you.

I'm guessing cells.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:39:36 PM
At 7/17/2010 6:33:15 PM, lovelife wrote:

I'm guessing cells.

Ding, ding, ding!

/thread
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:43:37 PM
: At 7/17/2010 6:33:15 PM, lovelife wrote:

I'm guessing cells.

Cells hey? Aren't they though apart of of the tree, aren't they biological too like the families above? For what created them, everything living is above ground, right?

So what are the roots?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:47:33 PM
At 7/17/2010 6:43:37 PM, GodSands wrote:

I'm guessing cells.

Cells hey? Aren't they though apart of of the tree, aren't they biological too like the families above? For what created them, everything living is above ground, right?

So what are the roots?

Roots are also alive, dumb@ss.

Read up:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.talkorigins.org...

/thread
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:53:01 PM

hint: the "tree of life" is a metaphor, ergo not alive. ergo it doesn't need roots to keep it alive. ergo this thread is bs. lol.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 6:55:29 PM
Just so you know, the sun gives the tree its life and energy. The sun is not alive, I believe that may answer your questions on this tree.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:04:19 PM
: At 7/17/2010 6:47:33 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I'm guessing cells.

So what are the roots?

Read up:

/thread

It looks like your mid teens have bitten into your bones. Yes the roots are apart of the tree, but they are undergroud. A tree is planted as a seed, and so it grows as it is watered. But life, as in living orginisms, cell or beast they are both alive. And the root isn't just anpther part of the tree it is what makes the tree continue to live, cut off the roots and plant the tree again, see how long it lives for.

In the same way with the tree of life, what about the roots does it make it live. Isn't it true that if you were to remove the root from the tree of life, the life of life would die?

http://www.curatedobject.us... - Darwin didn't draw the roots.

http://www.curatedobject.us... - And seemingly neither do these people who did this.

So tell me, what are the roots?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:04:43 PM
: At 7/17/2010 6:47:33 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I'm guessing cells.

So what are the roots?

Read up:

/thread

It looks like your mid teens have bitten into your bones. Yes the roots are apart of the tree, but they are undergroud. A tree is planted as a seed, and so it grows as it is watered. But life, as in living orginisms, cell or beast they are both alive. And the root isn't just anpther part of the tree it is what makes the tree continue to live, cut off the roots and plant the tree again, see how long it lives for.

In the same way with the tree of life, what about the roots does it make it live. Isn't it true that if you were to remove the root from the tree of life, the life of life would die?

http://www.curatedobject.us... Darwin didn't draw the roots.

http://www.curatedobject.us... And seemingly neither do these people who did this.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:06:47 PM
: At 7/17/2010 6:53:01 PM, belle wrote:

hint: the "tree of life" is a metaphor, ergo not alive. ergo it doesn't need roots to keep it alive. ergo this thread is bs. lol.

Don't use a tree then. Use something else to discribe evolution in one picture. Not a tree with branches. If you do use a tree with braches, what are the roots.

And I am sorry about the double post.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:09:41 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:06:47 PM, GodSands wrote:

Don't use a tree then. Use something else to discribe evolution in one picture. Not a tree with branches. If you do use a tree with braches, what are the roots.

And I am sorry about the double post.

1. why does evolution need to be described in one picture?
2. whats wrong with the tree metaphor? the reason its a METAPHOR is because it is not a description of the way things actually are. thus you can't overextend the metaphor and try to make it mean something else.
3. seriously, wtf?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:10:41 PM

Don't use a tree then. Use something else to discribe [sic] evolution in one picture. Not a tree with branches. If you do use a tree with braches [sic], what are the roots.

Are you really this stupid?

If you stop taking your metaphor so literally, the "problem" goes away.

I describe a movie by doing a figurative dance. People don't understand my dance. Obviously, then, they blame the movie.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:12:13 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:10:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Don't use a tree then. Use something else to discribe [sic] evolution in one picture. Not a tree with branches. If you do use a tree with braches [sic], what are the roots.

Are you really this stupid?

If you stop taking your metaphor so literally, the "problem" goes away.

I describe a movie by doing a interpretive dance. People don't understand my dance. Obviously, then, they blame the movie.

Fix.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:15:12 PM
: At 7/17/2010 7:07:53 PM, Puck wrote:
At 7/17/2010 7:04:43 PM, GodSands wrote:

You skipped belle's post.

Can't anyone be honest here and, just be honest?!!!!!

No, why because they don't want to think about the roots. Bucause it will mess up their theory of evolution. They will just say the tree is a metaphor, great sure I know its is. So what are the roots in that metaphor?

Do they not exist? What tree has no roots? Stupid theory.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:16:51 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:15:12 PM, GodSands wrote:

I paint a really bad rose. Some one calls it a really bad rose. Roses therefore are false? Good job.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:19:05 PM

No, why because they don't want to think about the roots. Bucause it will mess up their theory of evolution. They will just say the tree is a metaphor, great sure I know its is. So what are the roots in that metaphor?

wrong. stupid christian. can YOU not accept that what you are asking for is complete gobbletygook?if you want to ask how life arose from non-life, make a topic about abiogenesis. i am sure a lot of people will have a lot to say about it. if you just want to talk shyte about something you don't understand, however, by all means continue this thread.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:19:08 PM
: At 7/17/2010 7:18:02 PM, Puck wrote:
And to answer your question, the roots are not included in the theory of evolution. :P

Why not?
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:20:22 PM
Metaphors don't disprove science.

Sorry to break it to you GodSands.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:20:35 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:19:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
And to answer your question, the roots are not included in the theory of evolution. :P

Why not?

Because it does not deal with it. Simple as that. Separate domains.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:23:10 PM
Honestly we talked about this in biology last semester (for a very short amount of time cause the teacher was scared of getting sued for talking about evolution in the bible belt, great way to keep people from learning science) I do not exactly remember, and I'll be honest, I paid little attention.

I think I remember it being cells, but not 100% sure.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:28:42 PM
: At 7/17/2010 7:19:05 PM, belle wrote:

wrong. stupid christian. can YOU not accept that what you are asking for is complete gobbletygook?if you want to ask how life arose from non-life, make a topic about abiogenesis. i am sure a lot of people will have a lot to say about it. if you just want to talk shyte about something you don't understand, however, by all means continue this thread.

I'm asking a simple question here that should benefit your understanding of things. If you are going to have your self a tree to sum up the pattern that evolution creates, but not include the roots for whatever purpose, I should have a reasonable excuse not to believe in evolution based on it's dishonestly. It takes half an aspect of a whole thing. This is misusing the metaphor of a tree since a tree has roots and it is taking away an aspect of a tree that could ruin evolution if possible. Since the roots of a tree go into the ground and branch outwards into the ground which contradicts evolution since they are meant to go not, inwards are upwards or outwards or downwards but like the tree above ground go upwards and outwards or downwards and inwards. However you like to put it, it makes not difference.

Why do the roots go downwards and out but the branches go upwards and out? What is the seed of evolution in theory?

Shouldn't the roots be the same formation as the branches above ground if evolution is true?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:32:10 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:23:10 PM, lovelife wrote:
Honestly we talked about this in biology last semester (for a very short amount of time cause the teacher was scared of getting sued for talking about evolution in the bible belt, great way to keep people from learning science) I do not exactly remember, and I'll be honest, I paid little attention.

Someone has short term memory loss.

I'm sorry to inform you, but you have a brain tumor. You will die tomorrow.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:33:30 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:28:42 PM, GodSands wrote:

I'm asking a simple question here that should benefit your understanding of things. If you are going to have your self a tree to sum up the pattern that evolution creates, but not include the roots for whatever purpose, I should have a reasonable excuse not to believe in evolution based on it's dishonestly. It takes half an aspect of a whole thing. This is misusing the metaphor of a tree since a tree has roots and it is taking away an aspect of a tree that could ruin evolution if possible. Since the roots of a tree go into the ground and branch outwards into the ground which contradicts evolution since they are meant to go not, inwards are upwards or outwards or downwards but like the tree above ground go upwards and outwards or downwards and inwards. However you like to put it, it makes not difference.

Why do the roots go downwards and out but the branches go upwards and out? What is the seed of evolution in theory?

Shouldn't the roots be the same formation as the branches above ground if evolution is true?

I said this in the other thread... I'll say it again... STFU.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:35:18 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:32:10 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/17/2010 7:23:10 PM, lovelife wrote:

Someone has short term memory loss.

I think it (and most other problems) are due to my mom being on pot when she was pregnant with me.

I'm sorry to inform you, but you have a brain tumor. You will die tomorrow.

YAY! I need my phone back now so I can say goodbye and burn for eternity just for not believing!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:36:14 PM
At 7/17/2010 7:33:30 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/17/2010 7:28:42 PM, GodSands wrote:

I said this in the other thread... I'll say it again... STFU.

I kinda think GodSands is pretty entertaining. If he isn't a pastor, he should be. He;s the stuff their made of.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:37:49 PM
: At 7/17/2010 7:20:35 PM, Puck wrote:
At 7/17/2010 7:19:08 PM, GodSands wrote:

Why not?

Because it does not deal with it. Simple as that. Separate domains.

Well it should!!

I have a perfectly good reason to think evolution is wrong in the same way that I would have a perfectly good reason to think if a tree had no root it will not grow. End of.

By the way, the root are sin. Satans lies if you had not guessed yet.

Try applying that to a Christians life. He or she is living in sin. He or she produces bad fruit only, because they know they are in for judgement, they deny God and that a tree exists. But when they become a Christian by the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit then begin to grow in the spirit, the once dead tree is now alive and it only produces good fruit.

Satan has taken that metaphor and used it for evolution. And I know that I will get alot of stick for what I just said. I always do....
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 7:51:22 PM

If evolution is a "tree" the "roots" are what makes the tree "grow" and continue to "live." Thus, the "roots" of evolution would be things like simple one-celled organisms, natural selection, and DNA.

Simple one-celled organisms would provide a basis for cellular activity and the eventual splitting of the cell into different types of cells that perform more specific functions.

Natural selection is literally the mechanism by which the "tree" of evolution "expands."

Lastly, DNA carries the information that determines which "branches" "grow" and how different they are from other "branches."

That said, this thread has long outlived its purpose.

/thread. Please.