Jump to topic:

College Majors/Minors Thread

DeadLeaves93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:00:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Post the college major/minors you are currently pursuing, have already achieved, or desire to pursue!

Give reasons for going with that major, and offer feedback/advice to people pursuing other majors as well.

The purpose of this thread, for me, is to help me decide on what major to go for.
I am completely undecided at the moment to what field I want to go into,
but if it helps, I give a little bit of background.

I do well in all the core classes. Math used to be my favorite subject, but I havn't taken any math classes this year so I really can't tell if I still enjoy it. Currently, I've enjoyed history the most, but I know there's really not much you can do with a major in History. I also like English alot, and I believe I'm a fairly skilled writer (although I cannot write quickly). Science is iffy for me. I do just as good in those classes, but I usually struggle with them the most and don't enjoy it as much.

Here are my AP scores as well.
English Lang/Comp: 4
US History: 5
My SAT score is decent, but I will definitely attempt to get it a little higher. I did the worst in Math (having not taken any courses this year).

Majors I've thought about (but in no way committed to):
-Criminology, Psychology, Forensic Science, Computer Science, Law, Some sort of Engineering, Some sort of Business/Economics type of thing :/
At one point I had a strong desire to pursue film as well, and although I realize the that going in that direction is a death trap of instability, I still think about it sometimes.

So please, help me out, tell me what you think, tell us what YOU'RE interested in doing.
"At last, my arm is complete again!"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:02:53 PM
I'm not currently in college or university, but I seem to be stuck between history and anthropology. Or who knows? I might ditch both and pursue travel/tourism stuff instead.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:13:24 PM
I'm currently in Psychology. A Bachelor's in it is pretty vague though, and to be honest, I have no clue what one would do with it. I enjoy it immensely and I think you learn more than people give credit for, but that's just my opinion :) You do have to be creative and able to think outside the box if you want to make any sort of contribution to the field.

I was going to double-major in English but it just wasn't possible for me. English requires a ridiculous amount of reading and writing, so if you do choose to take English courses keep that in mind (and Philosophy courses, for that matter).

For Psych you don't need to be great at math. People complain a lot about Stats but I thought it was pretty easy. I don't know how it works wherever you're from but if you can take general courses for first year then you can see what you like from there...

I don't know any History majors myself, but I wouldn't discount it. History is a great subject to teach if you ever think about becoming a teacher or professor...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:16:47 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:13:24 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

I don't know any History majors myself, but I wouldn't discount it. History is a great subject to teach if you ever think about becoming a teacher or professor...

Yea, I'm considering going into history and then going on to become a teacher. Most people say that's what I should do since history is a huge passion of mine.
DeadLeaves93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:16:48 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:13:24 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I'm currently in Psychology. A Bachelor's in it is pretty vague though, and to be honest, I have no clue what one would do with it. I enjoy it immensely and I think you learn more than people give credit for, but that's just my opinion :) You do have to be creative and able to think outside the box if you want to make any sort of contribution to the field.

I was going to double-major in English but it just wasn't possible for me. English requires a ridiculous amount of reading and writing, so if you do choose to take English courses keep that in mind (and Philosophy courses, for that matter).

For Psych you don't need to be great at math. People complain a lot about Stats but I thought it was pretty easy. I don't know how it works wherever you're from but if you can take general courses for first year then you can see what you like from there...

Thanks for the response, please let me ask a few questions if you don't mind.
First of all, how did you decide to choose psychology as your major. Secondly, are you going to stop once you get your Bachelor's degree or go for higher? Finally, what are your hopes/plans after graduating with your major?

Oh, and I really don't think I'd like to be a teacher:P
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:18:21 PM
was a psych major but switched to biochemistry. just getting into my core classes now though. thing is, you gotta be good at math. i think thats what people in my science classes struggle with the most. for psych you need to be decent at math as well. i know a guy who dropped psych for english b/c he couldn't do stats.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:23:53 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:21:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Political Science and Philosophy.

Because I want to go into politics, and I know a few businesses in Tulsa/OKC that will be seeking Philosophy majors and the like for a few years as part of some new Business Ethics campaign.

And Philosophy degrees are the bomb diggity.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:39:41 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:16:48 PM, DeadLeaves93 wrote:

Thanks for the response, please let me ask a few questions if you don't mind.
First of all, how did you decide to choose psychology as your major. Secondly, are you going to stop once you get your Bachelor's degree or go for higher? Finally, what are your hopes/plans after graduating with your major?

Oh, and I really don't think I'd like to be a teacher:P

I don't mind. I chose Psychology in the 9th grade. Basically, I've always been interested in understanding human behaviour and I have a passion to help others. At 14 it was more about social Psychology and wanting to change the world, then I kind of became interested in counselling Psychology and that was my focus going into the program. Currently I'm more interested in clinical Psychology and research, and have recently considered becoming a Psychiatrist instead (however, I don't currently have the credentials for med school lol). I plan to get my Masters and then PhD. My current areas of interest are psychiatric disorders (especially mood) and bereavement/traumatic loss.

It is highly recommended (and I think required) to volunteer in the field of Psychology because the field is so wide, sometimes you think you want something and you don't. A friend of mind wanted to be a clinical Psychologist but after working with schizophrenics decided she wanted to go the counselling Psychology route. I am still undecided.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:47:19 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:39:41 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
It is highly recommended (and I think required) to volunteer in the field of Psychology because the field is so wide, sometimes you think you want something and you don't. A friend of mind wanted to be a clinical Psychologist but after working with schizophrenics decided she wanted to go the counselling Psychology route. I am still undecided.

hehe my friend got a bachelors in psych and still works at the job she had as a student (some kind of training for autistic kids) as well as working in a daycare. she says she likes the austistic kids more than the neurotypicals :P
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:52:52 PM
At 7/21/2010 10:47:19 PM, belle wrote:
At 7/21/2010 10:39:41 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

hehe my friend got a bachelors in psych and still works at the job she had as a student (some kind of training for autistic kids) as well as working in a daycare. she says she likes the austistic kids more than the neurotypicals :P

I think autism and atypical development is a great field; there's so much to discover. Plus kids are great :)
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:57:30 PM
I used to be a journalism major (because I'm an awesome writer), but decided that the field was too small and the writing that was involved just wasn't my style. The main focus was on writing for newspapers. Anywho, I was well into my my major wen I decided to switch to something else.

Currently:

Major: Nursing (Rn)
Minor: Developmental Psychology

I chose nursing because the pay is good, the hospitals here will pay for all of your nursing classes if you devote a 1-2yrs of service to them, the health benefits are good, job security, I can travel ANYWHERE in the country and get a job easy, each day on the job is different, I love anatomy and learning about what the body does and why, I'm really interested in learning about different conditions and then "fixing" people lol.

I chose developmental psychology because I'm interested in human behavior and how different parts of us (brain, cognitive functions, personality, self esteem,etc.) develop from infancy to late adulthood.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 11:19:27 PM
Was a philosophy major. I loved it actually, but splitting my interests (between that, linguistics, and business) didn't seem very productive so I decided to drop it.

Current major: International Business.
Minor: Japanese.

Yup, I'm trying to get in the "global economy" and all that stuff. That, and a whole host of personal reasons too numerous to name why I chose those as my major and minor.

I wish I wasn't so indecisive in the beginning...my sister is working on her PsyD right now! D:
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 11:23:48 PM
At 7/21/2010 11:12:21 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Got my BA in Philosophy and Political Science... working on a JD now =)

is that some kind of law degree?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 11:31:18 PM
At 7/21/2010 11:28:00 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
Associates in: Electronic Media Broadcasting

and unless I transfer no minor

aren't you in high school?

also an associates degree is pretty useless. jus sayin....
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 5:38:46 AM
At 7/21/2010 10:00:44 PM, DeadLeaves93 wrote:
Post the college major/minors you are currently pursuing, have already achieved, or desire to pursue!

Give reasons for going with that major, and offer feedback/advice to people pursuing other majors as well.:

Business Administration major, because it is a jack-of-all-trades. Criminal Justice minor because it is a career path that I believe I have an aptitude for and have been pursuing most of my adult life.

The purpose of this thread, for me, is to help me decide on what major to go for. I am completely undecided at the moment to what field I want to go into, but if it helps, I give a little bit of background.:

No one can answer that question but you. What are your interests? Also, in the meantime, just knock out pre-requisites.

Majors I've thought about (but in no way committed to):
-Criminology, Psychology, Forensic Science, Computer Science, Law, Some sort of Engineering, Some sort of Business/Economics type of thing :/
At one point I had a strong desire to pursue film as well, and although I realize the that going in that direction is a death trap of instability, I still think about it sometimes.:

All those are good fields, even film, but I would agree that it tends to be unstable. Networking is huge in that field. A good friend of mine (and former band mate) studied film at NYU (one of the more reputable film schools in the nation) and he does sound engineering. He makes a good living as a freelance sound tech, but it is highly competitive and, as you said, unstable.

You should also remember that college is not the be-all, end-all. College tuition rises faster than inflation and a lot of people can't ever get out of debt from all the school loans. Have a clear plan and a clear goal, with lots of contingency plans for unexpected travails.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Sniperjake1994
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:08:37 PM
Become a professor at a university if you'll major in history. Computer science requires you to learn as technology improves. So your best bet is history major, but be specific.
DeadLeaves93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 12:06:19 AM
At 7/22/2010 8:08:37 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:
Become a professor at a university if you'll major in history. Computer science requires you to learn as technology improves. So your best bet is history major, but be specific.

I really don't think I want to teach :/
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 10:07:42 AM
My current major is Labor Studies and Employment Relations. To get this degree at Rutgers, you have to apply to the School of Management and Labor Relations which is what my next step is once I head back (most likely in 2011 when Vi and I move back to the east coast). I chose this major because considering my personality and personal strengths and weaknesses, I believe that business is the best field for me. My PASSION is law and politics, but I don't have the public relations for politics nor the patience (or money) for law school; I have currently racked up over 100,000 in debt for college alone... and I'm nowhere near done.

This field at Rutgers is pretty broad which is what I want and love. It encompasses every single one of my interests. For instance, I've taken a lot of Employment Law related classes. We discuss cases based around discrimination in cases of gender, sexuality, etc. (another sociological interest of mine). We also discuss unions from various perspectives. Since this major focuses on business management, we learn an economic perspective to unions in addition to the social or worker's perspective. This field basically looks at employment (and subsequently the economic and thus social classes) that result from such.

I am in a three-way tie for a minor. I have taken exactly equal the amount of credits for philosophy, political science and women and gender studies (the WGS classes were because I was enrolled in a special women's advancement part of the college that mandated these classes). So, I am considering getting minors in all 3 lol depending on the time/money it would cost as opposed to just focusing in on one. If I had to do that, I'd probably choose philosophy just out of interest alone. For realz though - it feels like my major and potential minors are all ridiculously interwoven.

In terms of my career, my stepfather is the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for the global branding consultancy, Interbrand ( http://www.interbrand.com... ). So, theoretically I can get a job with my major there as soon as I graduate. But I want to make my own way, and really run my own business. Vi and her sister plan to open a business -- maybe I'll help them.

I've just learned that I do really well in the field I've pursued. I flourish in any kind of management level and have always been good at running things. There were so many companies I've theoretically had to run and save and I always got A's lol I love it. I love all fields of business. Both of my parents are accountants so I like the financial part but I also LOVE Human Resources and everything about it (especially the psychology lol). I dunno I just love business. Still have most passion for philosophy and law though lol :p Politics too.

Oh and advice for your major, DL? DON'T EVEN BOTHER THINKING ABOUT IT BECAUSE YOU WILL LITERALLY CHANGE YOUR MIND LIKE 5 TIMES IN COLLEGE. That's it :)
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 10:15:52 AM
I may do a double major in mathematics and chemistry, with a minor in U.S. history.

I could go completely differently and do something with engineering, business, law, etc.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:06:43 PM
At 7/21/2010 11:23:48 PM, belle wrote:
At 7/21/2010 11:12:21 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Got my BA in Philosophy and Political Science... working on a JD now =)

is that some kind of law degree?

Yes, it is. It's the standard law degree. Tarzan, what law school do you go to?

I'm a rising senior (high school) planning to major in Political Science.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 4:06:10 PM
At 7/21/2010 11:31:18 PM, belle wrote:
At 7/21/2010 11:28:00 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
Associates in: Electronic Media Broadcasting

and unless I transfer no minor

aren't you in high school?

also an associates degree is pretty useless. jus sayin....

Just graduated, entering college in the fall.

and for my field I don't even need a degree technically, it just helps some with getting a job.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 6:19:00 PM
At 7/23/2010 10:07:42 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I have currently racked up over 100,000 in debt for college alone... and I'm nowhere near done.

WHAT THE EFF???? That is insane. Do you pay international student fees or something?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 11:24:47 PM
At 7/23/2010 10:07:42 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I have currently racked up over 100,000 in debt for college alone... and I'm nowhere near done.

How is that possible..
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:14:32 AM
Neuro-Psychology and Philosophy major. 1 more year and I have my two bachelors degrees :) Then off to grad school
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.