Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Free university education?

Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 12:14:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

It forces taxpayers to fork up more of their money for people they don't even know, whether it's people who deserve it or not. Seems unethical to me.
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 12:40:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 12:14:28 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

It forces taxpayers to fork up more of their money for people they don't even know, whether it's people who deserve it or not. Seems unethical to me.

I agree. Besides, I'm against this whole culture of people 'deserving' stuff like university education. It's not necessarily for the pursuit of happiness, so I'm confused by people claiming that it is a fundamental right.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 1:00:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Bad idea for several reasons, but until someone with a different opinion is on this forum, I'll just leave it there.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 9:08:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

My main concern is that diplomas and certificates are becoming too easy too get.

Personally knowing some who have gone to one of these specialty colleges on public grants and gotten a piece of paper claiming credentials, I have kind of lost my faith in that method.

And thinking about them now possibly being one assisting the doctor who may need someday to save my life is terrifying.
brianjustin3709
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 5:55:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm against this. Like what other people said before, people will have to pay more tax. Even if they are middle-aged adults who don't even have children who will go to university, people have to pay extra money for people whom they don't even know.
jhonmax12
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 7:58:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Magnetism refers to physical phenomena arising from the force between magnets, objects that produce fields that attract or repel other objects. To know more about the magnetic science fun please visits.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
MAGNETIC SCIENCE FUN
fire_wings
Posts: 5,551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 9:43:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't really think that free university education is a good idea.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
snkcake666
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:43:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well there is the problem. There is literally no such thing as a free university education. We would still pay for it, simply in our taxes rather than straight from our pockets. And assuming that the government did seize control of the universities, the education quality would lessen if it did not break entirely.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 8:58:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Agree free university education is unfair. People who dont go to university and start work like myself shouldn't have to fund university education for other people through taxation.
WaspStinger
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 3:51:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that tuition fees should be lowered rather than free. It also depends on who we're talking about. If it's an underprivileged kid with no means of paying for it I'm perfectly fine with my tax dollars going there. If we're talking about someone who had the ability to pay but chooses not to, I don't think so.

Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for every Tom Dick and Harry. It should be based on those who need it.
Swytthom
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 7:52:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that a free access to education is useful, almost obligatory for a "north country"(Countries of Europe, United States...). Now, we'll see the bigger picture : children can have an elementary education, then a secondary school education, and finally, a high-school education freely. If we speak a bit about economics problems of the different countries, it becomes clear that no country can pay university to his habitants. Sorry, but, the high assignments should be pay, even a little... Don't you are agree with me ?
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:45:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/24/2015 7:52:04 PM, Swytthom wrote:
I think that a free access to education is useful, almost obligatory for a "north country"(Countries of Europe, United States...). Now, we'll see the bigger picture : children can have an elementary education, then a secondary school education, and finally, a high-school education freely. If we speak a bit about economics problems of the different countries, it becomes clear that no country can pay university to his habitants. Sorry, but, the high assignments should be pay, even a little... Don't you are agree with me ?

So what is your position? Do you advocate free university tuition?

At 11/23/2015 3:51:11 AM, WaspStinger wrote:
I think that tuition fees should be lowered rather than free. It also depends on who we're talking about. If it's an underprivileged kid with no means of paying for it I'm perfectly fine with my tax dollars going there. If we're talking about someone who had the ability to pay but chooses not to, I don't think so.

Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for every Tom Dick and Harry. It should be based on those who need it.

Student Loans exist for that very purpose - to entail that anyone can go to university regardless of their current financial position.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 2:55:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Free tuition implies 100% graduation or my tax dollars are being wasted. Will those who drop out have to pay back all that wasted money to the taxpayer?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SocialTeacher
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 5:56:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My position is not difficult to understand ! Yes, it could be very nice that everybody enter in college freely, but, actually, if we looks the topic by an economic way : it's strictly impossible ! No country can pay college to his habitants ... The spending is so huge !
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 7:50:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/26/2015 2:55:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Free tuition implies 100% graduation or my tax dollars are being wasted. Will those who drop out have to pay back all that wasted money to the taxpayer?

Good point, but of course I would rather the taxpayer not have to pay anything in the first place.

At 11/26/2015 5:56:17 PM, SocialTeacher wrote:
My position is not difficult to understand ! Yes, it could be very nice that everybody enter in college freely, but, actually, if we looks the topic by an economic way : it's strictly impossible ! No country can pay college to his habitants ... The spending is so huge !

But what about the countries, such as Scotland, that do pay for free university education?
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 8:00:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/26/2015 7:50:08 PM, Philocat wrote:
At 11/26/2015 2:55:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Free tuition implies 100% graduation or my tax dollars are being wasted. Will those who drop out have to pay back all that wasted money to the taxpayer?

Good point, but of course I would rather the taxpayer not have to pay anything in the first place.

At 11/26/2015 5:56:17 PM, SocialTeacher wrote:
My position is not difficult to understand ! Yes, it could be very nice that everybody enter in college freely, but, actually, if we looks the topic by an economic way : it's strictly impossible ! No country can pay college to his habitants ... The spending is so huge !

But what about the countries, such as Scotland, that do pay for free university education?

What about them? Do the drop outs pay the state back? I am totally for paying for college to someone who gets strait A's in high school. College isn't for everyone. College is for the academic elite. Getting anything less than an A in college is a waste of everyone's time. My opinion of course. Having someone just getting by to have the same prestige as some one who graduated at the top of their class is just BS at the college level.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
fire_wings
Posts: 5,551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:37:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We should have free university education.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 12:34:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/26/2015 8:00:37 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/26/2015 7:50:08 PM, Philocat wrote:
At 11/26/2015 2:55:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/2/2015 11:53:15 AM, Philocat wrote:
What are your thoughts on whether universities should have tuition fees?

I'm personally against free university education.

Free tuition implies 100% graduation or my tax dollars are being wasted. Will those who drop out have to pay back all that wasted money to the taxpayer?

Good point, but of course I would rather the taxpayer not have to pay anything in the first place.

At 11/26/2015 5:56:17 PM, SocialTeacher wrote:
My position is not difficult to understand ! Yes, it could be very nice that everybody enter in college freely, but, actually, if we looks the topic by an economic way : it's strictly impossible ! No country can pay college to his habitants ... The spending is so huge !

But what about the countries, such as Scotland, that do pay for free university education?

What about them? Do the drop outs pay the state back? I am totally for paying for college to someone who gets strait A's in high school. College isn't for everyone. College is for the academic elite. Getting anything less than an A in college is a waste of everyone's time. My opinion of course. Having someone just getting by to have the same prestige as some one who graduated at the top of their class is just BS at the college level.

You're essentially describing what scholarships are; the gifted students are given financial help to progress through university. But it is usually the university, not the government, that pay these grants.

At 11/27/2015 5:37:30 AM, fire_wings wrote:
We should have free university education.

Why?
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 9:12:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yes and no.

We live in an increasingly science/tech-centered world, so I can see the justification for subsidizing degrees in those fields.

However, I see no reason for subsidizing philosophy degrees. Those guys can fucking_ pay up.
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 11:06:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What percentage of the population do you wish to send to university? In past times it was the elite, the intelligent cream now its everybody lock stock and barrel. Not only that but universities and colleges have become big buisness. Its big buisness teaching you how to get on in buisness and keeping themselves in buisness doing it.
Education has become a golden calf and like defence we must all be happy to pay for the enterprize. So the hapless tax payer must pay for climate change , education and vastly expanded government. Meanwhile unthinkable sums are spent chasing the Higgs.
Thankgoodness its turned up but wait an even bigger effort is needed to probe the depths of reality. Oh for the day when every man you meet is a professor and we drown in learning.
Skyscraper
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 5:22:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am not a pro and don't know all the details but have a look at the Canadian education.
I am a home owner and pay school taxes ever year it is all consolidated in the city tax. If you Rent you don't pay or it is in-Corp someplace. But we still have fees on primary and secondary but depend if we send our children to another town and the price of transportation will change as well. But we should all pay a tax to help bring the cost down for affordable education but be more selective on what programs. Such as Art and music. this should be left for a personnel interest. But for medical, science, triads ect things that we really need for the economy. But i think Quebec is the cheapest for education compare to the rest of Canada. There has been some problems such has the fees are going up a little and teachers want more money. Plus the graduates are leaving the Provence for work so people are sort of feeling why we are paving there way so they can jump ship. we do pay high taxes here.

But concerning the USA I got what Ronald Reagan was thinking when he tackled the education system

a. calling for an end to free tuition for state college and university students,

b. annually demanding 20% across-the-board cuts in higher education funding,[2]

c. repeatedly slashing construction funds for state campuses

d. engineering the firing of Clark Kerr, the popular President of the University of California, and

e. declaring that the state "should not subsidize intellectual curiosity

At the time if you graduated you landed on a really good paying job so why should the taxpayer pay towards your own wealth. At the time it was true.
But now times have changed this lasted maybe till the 90s then the chances of you landing on a amazing job that pays your high student fees is getting to be nill.

So now maybe it is time to rethink the strategies those who have dept will never be able to pay and the students know this but yet they still go into dept because you never know it is a game of chance.

So bring back tuition fee might be a good idea as we have learn if the students do land on a great job without dept they are buying homes and things , this creates jobs, it could be a good economic stimulant that comes back many times fold. or the ripple effect grows.