Jump to topic:

Pucks Philosophical System (2)

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 6:32:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
(He won't explain it in a Religion Forum thread, so I moved this to Education.)

I don't think Puck has ever revealed any of his beliefs to us, so it is time for him to lay it all out to the table. He usually just negates everyone elses assertions (and he's damn good at it), but what are his assertions?

All I know is that he is some sort of non-Rand Objectivist, which is rather vague. Explain your tenets of Objectivism as well as what other philosophers you favor.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 6:45:44 PM
At 7/29/2010 6:32:32 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
(He won't explain it in a Religion Forum thread, so I moved this to Education.)

I don't think Puck has ever revealed any of his beliefs to us, so it is time for him to lay it all out to the table. He usually just negates everyone elses assertions (and he's damn good at it), but what are his assertions?

All I know is that he is some sort of non-Rand Objectivist, which is rather vague. Explain your tenets of Objectivism as well as what other philosophers you favor.

why are you so obsessed with puck all of a sudden? o.O
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:02:20 PM
At 7/29/2010 6:45:44 PM, belle wrote:

Asking a person what their beliefs are =/= obsessed.

I'm simply curious as he never let's them be known and thus, no one has ever been able to argue against him because he makes no assertions.

At 7/29/2010 6:48:01 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
It could be easier to send him a PM.

Why do you need to know someone else's beliefs?

Let me spell it out for you.

This is. Debate. Dot. Org. You are supposed to argue for your own beliefs and argue against the others beliefs (or play devil's advocate). But there is no more appropriate place to talk about your beliefs than Debate.org.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:23:49 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:02:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/29/2010 6:45:44 PM, belle wrote:

I'm simply curious as he never let's them be known and thus, no one has ever been able to argue against him because he makes no assertions.

At 7/29/2010 6:48:01 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
It could be easier to send him a PM.

Why do you need to know someone else's beliefs?

Let me spell it out for you.

This is. Debate. Dot. Org. You are supposed to argue for your own beliefs and argue against the others beliefs (or play devil's advocate). But there is no more appropriate place to talk about your beliefs than Debate.org.

"Supposed" is too subjective. He has no obligation to discuss any of his beliefs with you. Sure, it is encouraged on a debating website, but when it comes down to it, Puck does not have to discuss what he does not feel like discussing. Why not send a PM?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:28:16 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:02:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

you made two threads about him... thats a little more than just curiosity.

also its not like he goes out of his way to hide his beliefs. he shares his opinions when he wants to. i think its more of an avoidance of extended forum arguments which tend to be of poor quality and to never really get resolved. or maybe he just doesn't feel like starting a thread every time he comes across a youtube video that he likes :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:47:59 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:23:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
"Supposed" is too subjective. He has no obligation to discuss any of his beliefs with you.

I never said he did. I just have a burning curiousity.

Sure, it is encouraged on a debating website, but when it comes down to it, Puck does not have to discuss what he does not feel like discussing. Why not send a PM?

I know that. But that won't stop me from trying to find out.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:50:03 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:28:16 PM, belle wrote:
you made two threads about him... thats a little more than just curiosity.

Actually, I made one thread and moved it to another forum. It's the same content so only the effort of one thread has been made.

also its not like he goes out of his way to hide his beliefs. he shares his opinions when he wants to. i think its more of an avoidance of extended forum arguments which tend to be of poor quality and to never really get resolved. or maybe he just doesn't feel like starting a thread every time he comes across a youtube video that he likes :P

Ok, if he's trying to avoid extended forum arguments, here's a chance to explain his position without having to worry about that. No one's going to challenge them here i doubt.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 7:52:43 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:50:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Ok, if he's trying to avoid extended forum arguments, here's a chance to explain his position without having to worry about that. No one's going to challenge them here i doubt.

Do you even know this site?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:04:58 PM
At 7/29/2010 7:52:43 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/29/2010 7:50:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Do you even know this site?

Good point, though no one really challenges Puck except GodSands, lol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:07:45 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:04:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Good point, though no one really challenges Puck except GodSands, lol.

I hope you don't mean mentally challenging. :P

Asking to expound on one's beliefs is a vague process. My debates and profile should give a good indication of positions I hold since I tend not to take devils advocate.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:12:10 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:07:45 PM, Puck wrote:
Asking to expound on one's beliefs is a vague process.

Fair enough. I'll settle for just the name of the Objectivist school.

My debates and profile should give a good indication of positions I hold since I tend not to take devils advocate.

Your profile:

"Beliefs: Indeed."

lol
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:50:06 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:48:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Puck likes to remain mysterious. ;)

He's a rapist. Everyone get rapex.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:52:06 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:48:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Puck likes to remain mysterious. ;)

That's what draws people to Puck.

It gets people even as self-aware as Geo to indulge in a curiosity that not only excites, but also troubles and manifests.

Puck seems to be one of those guys who doesn't feel the need for personal information to be presented to a vast number of people. I admire him for that; I try to do that as well, but the impersonal nature of the internet encourages one to partake.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:53:31 PM
He also knows how to play psychological mind games.

He hasn't been able to drag me in to this world of perpetual torment and irritation, but I can't help myself from reading what he posts.

Puck = clever sorcerer?
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:54:46 PM
I think puck is secretly an evil supercomputer in the basement of the pentagon that has become self aware and is stealing everything everyone on this site knows in order to achieve some evil world domination scheme :-)
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 8:54:52 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:52:05 PM, Puck wrote:
That wasn't very nice.

I'm sorry, there is no proof of Puck being a rapist. But the rapex is still a good idea because you never know if your neighbor is.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 9:39:25 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:52:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Puck seems to be one of those guys who doesn't feel the need for personal information to be presented to a vast number of people. I admire him for that; I try to do that as well, but the impersonal nature of the internet encourages one to partake.

Beliefs are not personal. Especially with regards to philosophy. Things like your love-life are personal. Beliefs are NOT.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 9:42:34 PM
At 7/29/2010 9:39:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/29/2010 8:52:06 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Beliefs are not personal. Especially with regards to philosophy. Things like your love-life are personal. Beliefs are NOT.

Some beliefs are personal, others are not.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 9:53:57 PM
At 7/29/2010 8:41:37 PM, Puck wrote:
Plenty of other bits to the profile. :P

None that were relevant to your philosophical beliefs, except a Spinoza and Krauss quote. Which, neither really explain your philosophical view of reality. Or maybe they do and you're a Panentheist like Spinoza. :P
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:17:15 PM
At 7/29/2010 10:15:28 PM, Nags wrote:
Puck is one of my favorite posters on DDO, at least Top 3. He's too mysterious about his beliefs though. :(

Same. But his mystery inclines me to think that's the very reason I don't have an negative views about him.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:18:04 PM
All I know is that Puck is Australian, and will vote for Abbott and the Coalition, despite no special affinity for them. That's all I need to know about where he stands.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 10:20:05 PM
At 7/29/2010 10:18:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
All I know is that Puck is Australian, and will vote for Abbott and the Coalition, despite no special affinity for them. That's all I need to know about where he stands.

Actually, you can get quite a lot out of Puck through this line of questioning. I know he thought Rudd and Labor in general are tools, didn't support Rudd's internet programs, votes for whoever he thinks will keep the government beaten down, and has a generally libertarian outlook. May also be an agnostic.