Jump to topic:

My teachers are going on strike

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 10:37:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, I've got no school tomorrow because my teachers are doing a "walkout" where they protest about not receiving enough pay and not liking the tests that the state has currently assigned students to take.

This made me curious - is anyone else experiencing something like this? I think teachers should have a say in what goes through the education system since they know firsthand what their students need. A lot of students have complained about this test, so I hope the state recognizes what the teachers and takes into consideration what they believe is unfair.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 8:21:16 PM
At 5/20/2015 10:37:46 PM, Varrack wrote:
Well, I've got no school tomorrow because my teachers are doing a "walkout" where they protest about not receiving enough pay and not liking the tests that the state has currently assigned students to take.

This made me curious - is anyone else experiencing something like this? I think teachers should have a say in what goes through the education system since they know firsthand what their students need. A lot of students have complained about this test, so I hope the state recognizes what the teachers and takes into consideration what they believe is unfair.

We also had a teacher's strike last year, but my school (a government school) wasn't hit and it wasn't motivated by pay or tests - they were protesting the tear gas incident.

Some *students* did join in the strike, though. My school chancellor (who, as anyone familiar with Hong Kong politics knows, keeps getting into arguments with the government official who heads the political reforms) said the school was not in a position to punish students for the strike, so a handful of students decided to do it. I can safely say they were negatively affected by it, though, both physically and academically. One got injured when a police officer hurt her with a baton, though the ones who were tear-gassed or pepper-sprayed were only affected temporarily.... but I've just realised how much I'm digressing.

In short, yes, I think your academic results will be affected by the teacher's strike, though if it's the same for all classes, then it will be fair.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 8:27:45 PM
At 5/21/2015 8:21:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

We also had a teacher's strike last year, but my school (a government school) wasn't hit and it wasn't motivated by pay or tests - they were protesting the tear gas incident.

Some *students* did join in the strike, though. My school chancellor (who, as anyone familiar with Hong Kong politics knows, keeps getting into arguments with the government official who heads the political reforms) said the school was not in a position to punish students for the strike, so a handful of students decided to do it. I can safely say they were negatively affected by it, though, both physically and academically. One got injured when a police officer hurt her with a baton, though the ones who were tear-gassed or pepper-sprayed were only affected temporarily.... but I've just realised how much I'm digressing.

Interesting, I think I may have heard about that somewhere. It seems odd though that they were protesting tear gassing just to be tear gassed themselves. Were they peaceful protests, or violent ones?

In short, yes, I think your academic results will be affected by the teacher's strike, though if it's the same for all classes, then it will be fair.

I hope they're doing it out of good so that our education system gets better. Otherwise this would've probably been a waste.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 8:41:27 PM
At 5/21/2015 8:27:45 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/21/2015 8:21:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Interesting, I think I may have heard about that somewhere. It seems odd though that they were protesting tear gassing just to be tear gassed themselves.
The police alternated between oppression and appeasement; it wasn't tear gassing every day. In fact, they abandoned tear gas after a while and mostly used batons and pepper spray after the beginning of the movement. Eventually, the movement became weak enough for them to wipe out altogether.
Were they peaceful protests, or violent ones?
Peaceful, but illegal by our unlawful assembly laws.

I hope they're doing it out of good so that our education system gets better. Otherwise this would've probably been a waste.
I hope your education system improves, too. :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 8:10:35 PM

This:
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Neana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 5:21:39 AM
Although It will definitely affect your studies and if it results in bad grades of students. Teachers and school authorities will be the responsible. But anyhow, you must be getting classes off, which is somehow a good thing :P
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 6:28:02 AM
We need to get rid of these tests, my entire class is just annoyed and stressed.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT