Jump to topic:

Introduction To Critical Thinking

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:03:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Welcome to Introduction to Critical Thinking.

In today's lesson, we are going to go over some information about logical fallacies. But before we actually start talking about the class, let's begin with a critical thinking exercise designed to test your ability to analyze data and draw reasonable conclusions.

You are to imagine that you are a criminal that is being chased by a group of police cars. In your desperate effort to escape police custody, you reach a maximum velocity of 100 mph in your car as you race down the streets of New York City. Unfortunately, as you are driving, the steering and brakes on your car goes out, and you end up heading straight towards the Empire State Building, which happens to be 1250 feet tall. As luck would have it, your car has been equipped with an emergency escape button that jettisons the driver's seat 500 feet in the air with a parachute. Moreover, you manage to hit the escape button with only 10 feet left to spare before the car crashes right into the skyscraper. However, you run into another problem that you weren't expecting. For some reason, the parachute system of this car isn't functioning at its optimal level. And because of these technical problems, the parachute wont open unless the person in the escape seat reaches a velocity of 60 m/sec/sec. Given that objects free fall at the rate of 9.8 m/sec/sec, would you manage to survive this ordeal uninjured?

Answer yes or no, and give your reasoning.

Hint: you wont find the answer on the internet. I created this problem.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:08:58 PM
How quickly are you propelled out of the car?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:12:08 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:08:58 PM, tvellalott wrote:
How quickly are you propelled out of the car?

For the sake of the thought experiment, that doesn't really matter. The conclusion isn't drawn from that data.

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:17:38 PM
Well, my answer is NO.
I think with the speed he is moving forward and the small distance between him and the building as he was propelled from the car he would smash into the building almost immediately.

Muh threads
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:32:36 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:17:38 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Well, my answer is NO.
I think with the speed he is moving forward and the small distance between him and the building as he was propelled from the car he would smash into the building almost immediately.

this. and the speed you were propelled out of the car could've saved you if it was high enough.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:33:41 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:32:36 PM, badger wrote:
Well, my answer is NO.

this. and the speed you were propelled out of the car could've saved you if it was high enough.

it would have to be ridiculously high though i take it back lol.
signature
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:33:56 PM
Interesting - seems more like a physics question than a philosophy one.

If you were travelling at such a high velocity when you were ejected and were so close to the building, you would smash straight into the building. The upwards velocity created by the parachute would not negate the forwards velocity exerted from the car. You would travel diagonally directly into the building.

There is a mistake in the question - velocity is measured in m/s, not m/s/s - that's acceleration.

Whether the parachute opens or not, you are probably going to die from the impact of hitting the building. My answer is no - you would probably not survive at all.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:34:20 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:03:26 PM, Freeman wrote:

In today's lesson, we are going to go over some information about logical fallacies. But before we actually start talking about the class, let's begin with a critical thinking exercise designed to test your ability to analyze data and draw reasonable conclusions.

You are to imagine that you are a criminal that is being chased by a group of police cars. In your desperate effort to escape police custody, you reach a maximum velocity of 100 mph in your car as you race down the streets of New York City. Unfortunately, as you are driving, the steering and brakes on your car goes out, and you end up heading straight towards the Empire State Building, which happens to be 1250 feet tall. As luck would have it, your car has been equipped with an emergency escape button that jettisons the driver's seat 500 feet in the air with a parachute. Moreover, you manage to hit the escape button with only 10 feet left to spare before the car crashes right into the skyscraper. However, you run into another problem that you weren't expecting. For some reason, the parachute system of this car isn't functioning at its optimal level. And because of these technical problems, the parachute wont open unless the person in the escape seat reaches a velocity of 60 m/sec/sec. Given that objects free fall at the rate of 9.8 m/sec/sec, would you manage to survive this ordeal uninjured?

No, and I doubt you'd even survive. You'd be slamming into the side of a building at ~100 mph with or without a parachute.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:36:19 PM
Well, my answer is NO.

Nah, he says how high you get propelled.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:36:36 PM

100 MPH >>>>> + 10 ft from the building l----------l + on route to projecting to a
Max of 500 ft = dead pretty quick after leaving the car = I must project into the building around 10 foot above the car, at a sudden speed that would kill in a split second from take off = brain not designed to cope, + body not designed to withstand.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:39:26 PM
this question is ridiculous.. also even if by some absolute miracle you managed to escape the car without flying into the building and managed to get your parachute working.. you'd still likely fall right back down into the hands of the police who i'm sure would fvck you over for doing such crazy speed.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:40:45 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:36:19 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Well, my answer is NO.

Nah, he says how high you get propelled.

yeah i didn't spot that.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:43:33 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:39:26 PM, badger wrote:
this question is ridiculous.. also even if by some absolute miracle you managed to escape the car without flying into the building and managed to get your parachute working.. you'd still likely fall right back down into the hands of the police who i'm sure would fvck you over for doing such crazy speed.

but you wouldn't escape the car without flying into the building.
signature
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:44:16 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:33:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Interesting - seems more like a physics question than a philosophy one.

If you were travelling at such a high velocity when you were ejected and were so close to the building, you would smash straight into the building. The upwards velocity created by the parachute would not negate the forwards velocity exerted from the car. You would travel diagonally directly into the building.

Perfect

There is a mistake in the question - velocity is measured in m/s, not m/s/s - that's acceleration.

Oh yeah, thanks

Whether the parachute opens or not, you are probably going to die from the impact of hitting the building. My answer is no - you would probably not survive at all.

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:46:09 PM
Well, my answer is NO.

Great

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:46:21 PM

As luck would have it, your car has been equipped with an emergency escape button that jettisons the driver's seat 500 feet in the air with a parachute.

That's a pretty awesome car.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:46:30 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:34:20 PM, Korashk wrote:

No, and I doubt you'd even survive. You'd be slamming into the side of a building at ~100 mph with or without a parachute.

Yes

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:47:13 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:46:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

As luck would have it, your car has been equipped with an emergency escape button that jettisons the driver's seat 500 feet in the air with a parachute.

lol
signature
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:48:19 PM

lol... Yeah, it is.

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:48:27 PM

Damn it, why didn't I say that! :D

Muh threads
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:48:43 PM

but can you drive it with a joystick?

http://gosublogger.com...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:50:58 PM
I've done critical thinking at college, it isn't actually about learning what to do in a closed, short space of time. But rather you learn about who can be announced as a person, who is a person, what is free will and determinism? And so on.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:55:54 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:48:43 PM, belle wrote:

but can you drive it with a joystick?

http://gosublogger.com...

Win. These are totally manly tears of joy flowing down my face right now.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:56:48 PM
For now, we will be going over some basic material about logical fallacies. It is very important that we try to be as reasonable as possible for the duration of our short lives here on Earth. People have lost fortunes, been killed and have had their relationships dissolve into nothing because they were persuaded by fallacious arguments. For example, Con artists have often lured people into ponzi schemes. And the people that buy into these schemes occasionally engage in wishful thinking when they see signs that they are being taken advantage of. For example, they may reason that they are not in a ponzi scheme because the Con artist that sold it to them was such a nice guy. As it turns out, most Con artists are nice guys; in order to be a good con artist, you kind of have to be a nice guy. For this reason, it is important to always be skeptical and reasonable in every situation.

Moreover, erroneous thinking is, unfortunately, quite common in modern society. For example, perhaps you have heard someone say that abortion is wrong because abortion is murder. Or perhaps you're familiar with this sort of reasoning: Gay marriage shouldn't be allowed because marriage is only between 1 man and 1 woman. While many people espouse sentiments of this sort, one thing is clear about this sort of reasoning. Those are not arguments; those are tautological assertions. As such, they demonstrate nothing of significance.

Of course, erroneous thinking isn't always circular. Consider, for instance, a common creationist claim. It goes something like this: Evolution is wrong because Darwin was a racist. Now, it could be true that Darwin had some racial prejudices; after all, he did grow up in the Victorian era. However, even if this were true, it would not disprove evolutionary theory. In fact, Charles Darwin could have been the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, and that would not disprove the central concepts of evolutionary theory. It is simply a non sequitur to say that evolution is incorrect because Darwin was a racist. In other words, even if the premise of the argument were true, the conclusion still would not follow. My goal in this lesson is to help you become familiar with some common logical fallacies, so that you can identify them in books, debates, newspaper articles, political speeches, religious speeches etc.

Now, on to some actual examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Converse Fallacy of Accident or Hasty Generalization
Converse Fallacy of Accident or Hasty Generalization: argues from a special case to a general rule
Example
Argument: Every person I've met speaks English, so it must be true that all people speak English.
Problem: Who one has met is a subset of the entire set. One cannot have met all people.
Also called reverse accident, destroying the exception, a dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter

Can you come up with a short argument that uses a hasty generalization.

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 5:01:31 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:56:48 PM, Freeman wrote:

An old, asian woman turned in front of me while I had right of way and totalled both our cars, thus old people. asians and women cannot drive and should be banned from the road forever.

Muh threads
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 5:05:29 PM

I don't like to, but I can.

[Insert anecdotal evidence here] + black people like/do + [watermelons, fried chicken, crime]
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 5:10:22 PM
At 8/10/2010 5:05:29 PM, Korashk wrote:

I don't like to, but I can.

[Insert anecdotal evidence here] + black people like/do + [watermelons, fried chicken, crime]

Ah yes... That's a very common hasty generalization.