Jump to topic:

Reading, how do i start?

Kryptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 10:40:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Obviously I am not illiterate and can understand the English language fairly well, I'm just curious as to how someone can make reading an avid passion. I have read copious amounts of science literature, but this doesn't satisfy my taste for learning, some people say reading is relaxing, tiring, and enriched in a world of wonders.

But how would I get around beginning? What books should I read? What time should I read them? I have many questions involving this.

I have read 3 novels in my entire life from cover to cover that included more than 100 pages. And this was when I was 12, I had moved up to a new city and had no friends, no computer and was bored out of my brain. It was more or less... read something entertaining or depression will instil.

Any tips will be handy. okay thanks.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 11:26:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/6/2015 10:40:08 AM, Kryptic wrote:
Obviously I am not illiterate and can understand the English language fairly well, I'm just curious as to how someone can make reading an avid passion. I have read copious amounts of science literature, but this doesn't satisfy my taste for learning, some people say reading is relaxing, tiring, and enriched in a world of wonders.

But how would I get around beginning? What books should I read? What time should I read them? I have many questions involving this.

I have read 3 novels in my entire life from cover to cover that included more than 100 pages. And this was when I was 12, I had moved up to a new city and had no friends, no computer and was bored out of my brain. It was more or less... read something entertaining or depression will instil.

Any tips will be handy. okay thanks.

Since you read a lot of science, sci-fi like Verne or Wells might be good.

I highly suggest essays, BTW. Even longer essays (like Lamb's essay on Christ's Hospital that I've just read last week) are short and sweet, compared even to short stories, so you'll probably have more motivation reading them :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
valeriyayuhtanova
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:17:07 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Since 18th centuary reading was one of the things that could entertain high-class and give them knowledge. Now, whole literature might variate from place to place, each person is able to choose type of literature he enjoys reading. Though books are still used in public schools hence teenagers, who might need more knowledge in their future life, get bored with book. Who need bunch of papers if you have a new iPhone with lots of games in it?

Reading should not be a horror for a person who wants to start. Investigate the history of litarture first, therefore you will imagine what kinds of books there are in the world. You start with book, which have more or less similar topic to your hobby or interest. On Youtube, there are channeles that represent authors and book genres that you might find interesting. Make reading relaxing by grabbing cup of your favorite drink and a blanket.