Jump to topic:

Questions About Libraries

DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:27:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What role do you think libraries ideally should play? How often do you use your local library? What is your best memory of being in a library? What is your worst memory of a library?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 6:36:36 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:27:24 PM, DollarStoreSushi wrote:
What role do you think libraries ideally should play? How often do you use your local library? What is your best memory of being in a library? What is your worst memory of a library?

I love libraries and have spent a great deal of my time in them.

(I am in my campus library right now!)

One of the very first things I do whenever I move to a new town is to get a library card. I would say I probably check out, oh, about a dozen books a months from my local public library--which has a branch here on campus.

I think they will always be with us, as opposed to what some people think. It's just that their role will be augmented yet. In fact, the MLS at this library said that that term "library" is going to likely be replaced by "Multi-Media Learning Center." MMLC.

They are keeping up with the times. They offer e-books and computer services and other multi-media tools. A good public library also offers many classes and workshops to the community. Many for kids. This role should never change.

I am also, BTW, a staunch advocate and die-hard "real book" reader. I will never own an e-book, like a Kindle. Oh, I am tech savvy and all: I have my A+ Cert and can even write a little code. I built my own PC about five years ago. But on these I draw the line. There is just something about holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages. (Also, I admit: I love the smell of an old book! LOL) Nuthin' like it!

Libraries Rule!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 10:30:25 AM
I love the smell of new books.
Old books remind me of dampness and mildew, makes me sad.

I have made many major moves in my life, and each time had to find new homes for old friends, and some had water damage due to improper storage, would not be wanted by anyone, so were discarded.
Similar with recorded music.
I welcome digital with open arms.

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite movies.

Libraries have been a comfort and source of wonderful things.
The best ones are at universities, but I have spent many hours in some very small community libraries with no regrets.
There is at least one large library that is totally digital.
Libraries are a luxury, their form will need to change, their function will always be needed and appreciated.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 1:02:15 PM
What role do you think libraries ideally should play?
A source and place for research, study, and knowlege.

How often do you use your local library?
About once a week. I borrow about three books and then return them the next week and grab three more.

What is your best memory of being in a library?
Every time I go into a library. I cant remember a specific day that was better than the others. Everytime I enter a library I feel comfortable, secure and cozy. I feel like I belong.
What is your worst memory of a library?
Once their was a really annoying guy there that had the most annoying laugh while I was trying to read.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:57:15 PM

I go to the library on my college campus a lot, but I've never actually checked out a book there. Generally I just read books from my e reader because I think it's more convenient. I like the library because it's a comfortable place to go and study. On the campus I go to the library is partially a museum with a lot of art from various areas in Africa so it's a super interesting place to be.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:59:33 PM
At 6/22/2015 6:36:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

One of the very first things I do whenever I move to a new town is to get a library card. I would say I probably check out, oh, about a dozen books a months from my local public library--which has a branch here on campus.

I think they will always be with us, as opposed to what some people think. It's just that their role will be augmented yet. In fact, the MLS at this library said that that term "library" is going to likely be replaced by "Multi-Media Learning Center." MMLC.

They are keeping up with the times. They offer e-books and computer services and other multi-media tools. A good public library also offers many classes and workshops to the community. Many for kids. This role should never change.

I am also, BTW, a staunch advocate and die-hard "real book" reader. I will never own an e-book, like a Kindle. Oh, I am tech savvy and all: I have my A+ Cert and can even write a little code. I built my own PC about five years ago. But on these I draw the line. There is just something about holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages. (Also, I admit: I love the smell of an old book! LOL) Nuthin' like it!

Libraries Rule!

I used to be that way, lol. but the fact that my kindle can hold around 200 books and only weighs like 2 ounces is super appealing.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:28:50 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:59:33 PM, debatability wrote:

Libraries Rule!

I used to be that way, lol. but the fact that my kindle can hold around 200 books and only weighs like 2 ounces is super appealing.

Oh yeah, baby-doll...I hear ya. There is no denying that those Kindles and Nooks are very convenient. And they can hold as many books as would take up most of my bedroom floor! LOL

But I guess I am just old school in this regard--I like the tactile feel of a real book. Holding it, flipping the pages. I guess I am a very "touch" oriented person. And I get enough of the hi-tech stuff all day--at work, like right now! LOL--and with my cell and iPhone. My laptop. So a book is kind of a nice retro thing for me.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:42:52 PM
At 6/30/2015 2:28:50 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:59:33 PM, debatability wrote:

Libraries Rule!

Oh yeah, baby-doll...I hear ya. There is no denying that those Kindles and Nooks are very convenient. And they can hold as many books as would take up most of my bedroom floor! LOL

But I guess I am just old school in this regard--I like the tactile feel of a real book. Holding it, flipping the pages. I guess I am a very "touch" oriented person. And I get enough of the hi-tech stuff all day--at work, like right now! LOL--and with my cell and iPhone. My laptop. So a book is kind of a nice retro thing for me.

I find that the best thing about a kindle is that if I need a book I can get it in like two seconds; lol, I don't have to wait a few days for it to ship. That's good because I generally put things off and when I need a book for school it's convenient to be able to download it within a few seconds.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:50:22 PM
What role do you think libraries ideally should play?
They're the government-owned equivalent of bookstores. While bookstores operate on capitalist principles and, as a result, offer only bestsellers that sell well, libraries offer much more diversity, and aid people in numerous fields of study.
How often do you use your local library?
On average, more than once a month. I tend to borrow a bunch of books and not go to the library for a while, though. I can always renew online.
What is your best memory of being in a library? What is your worst memory of a library?
I don't think I have specific memories either way.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:54:29 PM

Libraries Rule!

Agreed, libraries rule!

Still, I love my Kindle. Many times, books you won't dream of finding in your local bookshops or libraries are available on Amazon, and at a much lower price than for paper books too. If the book's out of copyright, you'll likely find it for free on sites like Gutenberg.

Oh, and I love the instant dictionaries and note-taking capabilities!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...