Philosophy of Batman

vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 3:02:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Philosophy professor's are now using comic book and pop culture reference's to teach their student's because apparantly, their student's cannot or will not get engaged with the subject. By using reference's such as 'Why does Batman not kill the joker?' and 'Is Peter Parker morally obliged to be Spider-man?' ethey actually get the student's interested in the subject and willing to learn. It's an interesting article. What do you guy's think? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

In my opinion, it is taking a subject that is interesting and intellectually challenging, dumbing it down, so student's don't go 'Oh this is hard to understand, let's just pick another subject' or 'Why is this relevant to me?'.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 3:22:58 AM
At 8/13/2010 3:02:21 AM, vivalayeo wrote:

Philosophy professor's are now using comic book and pop culture reference's to teach their student's because apparantly, their student's cannot or will not get engaged with the subject. By using reference's such as 'Why does Batman not kill the joker?' and 'Is Peter Parker morally obliged to be Spider-man?' ethey actually get the student's interested in the subject and willing to learn. It's an interesting article. What do you guy's think? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

Sounds brilliant. I'd love to have taken one of these courses.

In my opinion, it is taking a subject that is interesting and intellectually challenging, dumbing it down, so student's don't go 'Oh this is hard to understand, let's just pick another subject' or 'Why is this relevant to me?'.

The two professors in the article are both clear about it. It isn't 'dumbing down' anything. They are teaching the same thing, but using more fun material.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 3:26:28 AM
At 8/13/2010 3:22:58 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Sounds brilliant. I'd love to have taken one of these courses.

The two professors in the article are both clear about it. It isn't 'dumbing down' anything. They are teaching the same thing, but using more fun material.

I guess I'm just a snob :P
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:56:46 AM

meh, sounds to me like a good way to get people interested in philosophy. ya gotta admit, its somewhat intimidating at the start...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 10:26:05 AM
At 8/13/2010 10:24:28 AM, Prox wrote:
Wonderful idea. It makes me want to just go out into the world and wonder, "What would Batman do?"

then you'd jump off a building and we'd have to scrap the idea.
signature
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:47:55 AM
At 8/13/2010 10:47:46 AM, badger wrote:
At 8/13/2010 10:38:57 AM, Prox wrote:
Batman would have wings.

he had to test them at some stage.

Not recklessly.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:11:28 PM
'Why does Batman not kill the joker?'

Because he's a douchebag. He had no qualms about killing Two Face who spent the majority of the film being his best friend...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:37:00 PM
Well, what exactly is "better" about using a "purer" approach rather than incorporating elements of popular culture?

I'd say two immediate things you might think of losing in such an approach are language and an ability to deal with abstract concepts. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here. Anyway, I don't think those two things are lost at a significant enough level coupled with not being present in other modes of learning to merit having a real reason to stick with a traditional approach when your focus is ultimately on the ideas involved in philosophy.
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:41:53 PM
At 8/13/2010 1:11:28 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
'Why does Batman not kill the joker?'

Because he's a douchebag. He had no qualms about killing Two Face who spent the majority of the film being his best friend...

Batman has issues.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:13:06 PM

Its the kinda thing I wish more teachers would do. Everyone is stressing about "teaching more" so much that students aren't learning (unless their like me and teach themselves) so doing something fun and relatable helps a lot. I had a few good teachers but most use the stress of having to teach so much by this time because of a dumb standardized test with inflexable dates (even if theres like 10 snow days and you have to take summer time off to make up for it anyway the test datte will not move, I know it happened last year.) as an excuse to make learning boring. Nobody remembers what they learned 2 months ago. I can't remember what I learned in biology (unless she said it while I was texting) or geography or math. I remember 7th grade history tho because we played a jeopardy game every friday and spent a couple weeks working on our gold mine game project. We rarely did written work and he really made learning something fun and easy and most people remember it (that I know at least)
Now the teachers are even more stressed because apparently kids have to learn to add double digit numbers with carrying in kindergarten, subtraction including borrowing in 1st, master multiplication by 4th and be done with division by 6th. Idk what they want to do with middle school know, mom was updated cause her license doesn't go that high.
More stress, less learning, less productive future.
Make the learning fun, kids will learn better.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave