Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

This Generation

bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 11:16:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not only are we getting stupider, we're getting fatter as well. 70% of Americans are overweight, and obesity just hit an all time high. 27.7% of the U.S. population are obese. Obesity is directly linked with stupidity. Studies show that obese people have 8% less brain tissue than people of normal weight. The areas of the brain affected by this tissue loss relate to critical thinking and long term memory. Obesity also hinders blood circulation around the brain, reducing intelligence and cognitive functioning. Eating fatty foods also has an immediate negative impact on short term memory. So the fat pride movement now being promoted by the media and the fashion industry is not only encouraging chronic illnesses, it's institutionalizing the acceptance of stupidity. I'm fully aware of the fact that people will accuse me of being cynical and snobbish, because simply drawing attention to these appears to be an exercise in futility. The solution lies in shaming these people! Dumb people should be shamed due to their idiocy! It shouldn't be treated as acceptable to be completely ignorant of real issues or basic facts. In a truly progressive society, those who are most informed about things that matter should be perceived as the pinnacle of cool and trendy. Dominant main stream culture has instead made cool into dismantling vocabulary down to grunts and lame acronyms, and wearing your pants halfway down your backside. Popular culture has been designed to create an army of morons who are dependent on bread and circuses. A generation of young people whose acceptance among their friends depend on "keeping up with the Kardashians" and mindlessly regurgitating and mimicking the words and behavior of classless, addle brained, nihilistic degenerates. They've monetized apathy and stupor on an industrial scale. Instead of aspirating to be inventors, mavericks, entrepreneurs, an entire generation has been tricked into pursuing the unobtainable goal of "celebrity". They all waste their lives trying to become rapper, musicians, sports heroes, and movie stars and for the vast majority it's never going to happen. The fallout from this, when it all goes wrong, is the obsession with expressing their unrequited narcissism through social media, which in turn makes them more depressed and more stupid. The ability to forge our own cultural narrative has been stolen from us! Our icons are fools! Our heroes are intellectual weaklings! Celebrities who express original thoughts are publicly shamed. Celebrities who parrot group- think nonsense are exalted. We're the product of an entertainment industry and culture that rewards intellectual conformity and denigrates curiosity and contrarian thinking. So is it any wonder, that despite all of our technology, all of our progress, we're stupider than ever before.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 1:21:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I do actually kind of agree with you on some of these points, but I do not think that it means that we are becoming "stupider". I think that this is just a natural thing that happens in times of relative peace: deterioration of values.
TiffanyRoberts
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:51:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If any one who feel that the generation which does not think about their food system. It is really a great problem the next generation will not be able to do any purposeful thing. Really tends to waste.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 6:07:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2015 1:21:42 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
I do actually kind of agree with you on some of these points, but I do not think that it means that we are becoming "stupider". I think that this is just a natural thing that happens in times of relative peace: deterioration of values.

I agree upon the idea of a deterioration of values, which is the main reason why we are becoming stupider. Statistically, more people are "educated", but there is no proof to show that all these educated people truly are intelligent, rather then being able to pass a liberal created standardized agenda.

Personally, I can see a declining trend. Decades ago, people had a lust for education. They valued class and dignity, rather than delinquency and humor, which most of the younger women value. Education was highly sought after, and still is in many parts of the world, but seeing as the Western World has public education, it no longer matters to these children.

I have experience in this as I am a high school student myself, but I value education much more then my classmates do.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
vrj
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 3:28:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/8/2015 11:16:38 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Not only are we getting stupider, we're getting fatter as well. 70% of Americans are overweight, and obesity just hit an all time high. 27.7% of the U.S. population are obese. Obesity is directly linked with stupidity. Studies show that obese people have 8% less brain tissue than people of normal weight. The areas of the brain affected by this tissue loss relate to critical thinking and long term memory. Obesity also hinders blood circulation around the brain, reducing intelligence and cognitive functioning. Eating fatty foods also has an immediate negative impact on short term memory. So the fat pride movement now being promoted by the media and the fashion industry is not only encouraging chronic illnesses, it's institutionalizing the acceptance of stupidity. I'm fully aware of the fact that people will accuse me of being cynical and snobbish, because simply drawing attention to these appears to be an exercise in futility. The solution lies in shaming these people! Dumb people should be shamed due to their idiocy! It shouldn't be treated as acceptable to be completely ignorant of real issues or basic facts. In a truly progressive society, those who are most informed about things that matter should be perceived as the pinnacle of cool and trendy. Dominant main stream culture has instead made cool into dismantling vocabulary down to grunts and lame acronyms, and wearing your pants halfway down your backside. Popular culture has been designed to create an army of morons who are dependent on bread and circuses. A generation of young people whose acceptance among their friends depend on "keeping up with the Kardashians" and mindlessly regurgitating and mimicking the words and behavior of classless, addle brained, nihilistic degenerates. They've monetized apathy and stupor on an industrial scale. Instead of aspirating to be inventors, mavericks, entrepreneurs, an entire generation has been tricked into pursuing the unobtainable goal of "celebrity". They all waste their lives trying to become rapper, musicians, sports heroes, and movie stars and for the vast majority it's never going to happen. The fallout from this, when it all goes wrong, is the obsession with expressing their unrequited narcissism through social media, which in turn makes them more depressed and more stupid. The ability to forge our own cultural narrative has been stolen from us! Our icons are fools! Our heroes are intellectual weaklings! Celebrities who express original thoughts are publicly shamed. Celebrities who parrot group- think nonsense are exalted. We're the product of an entertainment industry and culture that rewards intellectual conformity and denigrates curiosity and contrarian thinking. So is it any wonder, that despite all of our technology, all of our progress, we're stupider than ever before.

the generation has must good but some other are bad
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 12:53:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
You need to take great care if you choose to rant about IQ. The population measurements give a neat bell curve and the midpoint is about IQ 100.
My own IQ is about 105 but absolutely nobody controls their own IQ.
It is an illusion to claim we are all born equal, all we can do is use the talent we have and this cannot be put better than in the parable of the talents.
I hope you are not biased against dim wits it is not their choice.
Notamoron
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 2:56:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/8/2015 11:16:38 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Not only are we getting stupider, we're getting fatter as well. 70% of Americans are overweight, and obesity just hit an all time high. 27.7% of the U.S. population are obese. Obesity is directly linked with stupidity. Studies show that obese people have 8% less brain tissue than people of normal weight. The areas of the brain affected by this tissue loss relate to critical thinking and long term memory. Obesity also hinders blood circulation around the brain, reducing intelligence and cognitive functioning. Eating fatty foods also has an immediate negative impact on short term memory. So the fat pride movement now being promoted by the media and the fashion industry is not only encouraging chronic illnesses, it's institutionalizing the acceptance of stupidity. I'm fully aware of the fact that people will accuse me of being cynical and snobbish, because simply drawing attention to these appears to be an exercise in futility. The solution lies in shaming these people! Dumb people should be shamed due to their idiocy! It shouldn't be treated as acceptable to be completely ignorant of real issues or basic facts. In a truly progressive society, those who are most informed about things that matter should be perceived as the pinnacle of cool and trendy. Dominant main stream culture has instead made cool into dismantling vocabulary down to grunts and lame acronyms, and wearing your pants halfway down your backside. Popular culture has been designed to create an army of morons who are dependent on bread and circuses. A generation of young people whose acceptance among their friends depend on "keeping up with the Kardashians" and mindlessly regurgitating and mimicking the words and behavior of classless, addle brained, nihilistic degenerates. They've monetized apathy and stupor on an industrial scale. Instead of aspirating to be inventors, mavericks, entrepreneurs, an entire generation has been tricked into pursuing the unobtainable goal of "celebrity". They all waste their lives trying to become rapper, musicians, sports heroes, and movie stars and for the vast majority it's never going to happen. The fallout from this, when it all goes wrong, is the obsession with expressing their unrequited narcissism through social media, which in turn makes them more depressed and more stupid. The ability to forge our own cultural narrative has been stolen from us! Our icons are fools! Our heroes are intellectual weaklings! Celebrities who express original thoughts are publicly shamed. Celebrities who parrot group- think nonsense are exalted. We're the product of an entertainment industry and culture that rewards intellectual conformity and denigrates curiosity and contrarian thinking. So is it any wonder, that despite all of our technology, all of our progress, we're stupider than ever before.

To start with, intellectual ability is somewhat predetermined. Hence the existence of child prodigies, geniuses etc.
Secondly, over the past 30 years, the average IQ has in fact increased by 20 which insinuates that critical reasoning has significantly improved.

There is truth in what you said regarding mimicry and habitual human behaviour, but to put it blankly, that is what most people are capable of. In regards to "celebrity stupidity", it's debatable...It's heavily likely some possess descent intelligence and use it to manipulate reaction to further their careers by falsifying personalities to gain attention. As humans, we are the only species on earth capable of deep understanding, the majority of animals simply forge a life on an attempt to survive as they are unable to reason beyond this.
These external "stupid entertainment" activities partaken by the human race, are almost a way of amusing ourselves instead of living to die.

I really don't understand where you're going with this point, if everybody on the planet was marginally smarter in relation to cognitive tasks and memory, nothing changes. The average person isn't capable of making progressive discovery. I mean if everybody was a genius, no one would be. The "dumb" people are what make smart people smart, and beyond that, the naturally intelligent have to be willing to dedicate their life to a field to progress it beyond it's previous point. Ironically you spoke about the unattainable nature of celebrity status and insinuated that the majority should be focusing on being independent thinkers/entrepreneurial. It still leaves a huge disparity between the best and the worst. It's still unattainable for most.

Also, the progressive thinkers are still celebrities, they are simply amongst the celebrities from other fields. Bill gates, mark zuckerberg, steve jobs, stephen hawking, Elon Musk are all household names...there's plenty more to, a lot of which choose to hide behind a company name. It creates diversity amongst celebrities. When you talk about chasing unattainable goals, if everybody considered them unattainable, they wouldn't exist. People have to chase goals, in the same way some people have to fail. Whether the goal was to be a world re-known entrepreneur or a sports hero, people will fail. One field isn't necessarily better than the other.

Even if everybody was a genius, and understanding/progression excelled exponentially to an unimaginable level, the reality is that it all ends the same way. The only thing that changes is the events leading up to it, which regardless of result cannot be considered objectively better or worse than another as value is not an objective thing.

It's almost like your simply forming your own idea of a utopian world where everybody was slightly more intelligent and had the same emotional response and hobbies/goals as you.

Bill Gates was a progressive thinker who achieved, Cristiano Ronaldo was a sports star who achieved and Leonardo Dicaprio was an entertainer who achieved. All of them had a positive emotional response from their accomplishments, they have all created enjoyment for themselves in what they've done during their short lives and have intrigued millions of people around the world doing what they chose to do. Your not obligated to choose a specific form of entertainment.
Madsolesen
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:08:49 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I see the new generation as being way smarter than mine. Kids nowadays grow up with loads of new technology and through figuring out how these work and communicate, they naturally develop a very logical mind.
Additionally, The new generation is presented to all the newest knowledge and education which makes them not only smarter and cleverer, but also able to come up with new ideas themselves.
lieN
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 1:22:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I'm not knocking down any of your statements, but can you back up some of the statistics with sources?
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 4:11:51 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/25/2015 12:53:05 PM, fromantle wrote:
You need to take great care if you choose to rant about IQ. The population measurements give a neat bell curve and the midpoint is about IQ 100.
My own IQ is about 105 but absolutely nobody controls their own IQ.
It is an illusion to claim we are all born equal, all we can do is use the talent we have and this cannot be put better than in the parable of the talents.
I hope you are not biased against dim wits it is not their choice.

Are you serious? No one is born extremely stupid. Unless you have a mental disorder than prohibits learning, you have very little excuse as to why you lack intelligence.

Having an IQ that below 100 is practically the level of idiots. Having an IQ that is above 100 is pretty good, and having an IQ that is above 120-125 means that you are extremely intelligent.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 10:53:19 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
IQ is designed to be independant of learning it measures your ability to solve problems.
As we get older our stored knowlege increases but our IQ remains the same.
It is the reason we have grades in the classroom some people are naturally quicker than others.
It is a modern illusion that anyone can achieve anything and all can benifit from university.
By disparaging those below 100 you are looking down upon half the human race.