Jump to topic:

Teachers

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:07:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay so I stalked my mom's livejournal for no real reason but I came across something I think poeple should really learn more about:

"Here is the link to the article and comments that made me so angry:www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx.

Back in the good old days of the 50s and 60s..

- If you got in trouble at school you got in trouble at home

- When the teacher disciplined a child the parents were in support of the teacher- not talking to a lawyer (not just paddling- in school suspension has resulted in threats of lawsuits)

- When the children came to school they had already been taught basic manners

- Teachers were not required to provide differentiated instruction for EVERY skill level- including students that are severely learning disabled.

- parents did their job in raising the child and let the teachers just teach.

- Discipline wasn't an issue, everyone knew getting a call home was bad news.

- When you got home you did homework. Parents didn't throw a fit about homework being wrong because 'why wasn't this done at school' or 'my kids' busy schedules doesn't give them time to do this much homework'

- Every classroom had a home mother that would help with all the extra things.

compare apples to apples folks- schools were different then, kids were different then, and most certainly, parents were different then.

Now teachers are raising the kids, have far different expectations on who, what, and how to teach, and still come to work every day with a smile.

I teach Kindergarten. Back in the day when I was in school we learned how to color inside the lines. Now the state has demanded kids be able to, not only read, but understand the different parts of a sentence (noun, verb, etc). Not the same world at all.

I love the saying, "those that can do, those that can't teach" You just go right out there and teach a skill you don't have. Try it. Dare you. Teach a child to read when you can't read. Teach someone how to shoot a basketball when you can't hit the rim, teach someone to ride a bike when you don't know how to. If you can't do it, you can't teach it.

Teachers do not get a 3 month vacation. Summer vacation is now 10 weeks, during which time teachers are required to get a lot of professional development hours in. Teachers tend to report back to work a week sooner than kids, and that's just those that don't jump in there to start getting ready the moment the janitor gives the OK to re-enter the classrooms.

I clocked my hours worked for a 3 week period of time last year, including prep time, grading, and teaching students- I put in, on average 65 hours a week. Do the math. I could make more money working at 7-11 for those hours.

If you say I only work for the 36 weeks that children are in the classroom, you get 2340 hours a year worked. Divide that by the 52 weeks in the year, and that still comes out to 45 hours a week average. My salary is around 32,000 a year. If we divide that out by the 45 hours a week and 52 weeks in a year, I get paid about $13 an hour, if we didn't include that overtime should pay time and a half at 5 hours every week. 7-11 down the road is hiring at nearly $12. Please do not say teachers want huge salaries. We would like salaries that adequately reflect our educational requirements, and job duties- which go far beyond "be in the classroom with the students."

nearly 1/2 of all first year teachers leave the field entirely. Mostly this is because they thought they would have that free time, a school day of working 7:30-3, home on weekends, holidays, and summers, and instead found out that they were living in their classroom, working every chance they could just to keep from drowning in all the paperwork, reports, planning, and preparing. It is far more than anyone can imagine if you don't do it.

I'm not complaining, I wouldn't want to do anything else with my life. I just dislike being told I have a cushy job, when in fact, I don't. You would never tell a carpenter that he had it easy. You would be thought of as quite crazy if you did. I do not like my hard work being down played.

If Oklahoma would like to stop being in one of the top 5 states for those living at or below poverty, get your mind around the idea that schools, and teachers, are important. Your increased road works will do nothing to improve the skill level (thereby the salary) of the workforce, your police will never have an impact on poverty- poverty will effect the police though- those that are impoverished will need more police hired, because this is where we get most of our serious crimes. The only way out of poverty is through education. This holds true for people and it is true for the state as well. Well educated people make more money, pay more taxes, and buy more goods.

All that said, I doubt real change will come with increased funding. Historically the legislature has cut state funding when other funds were provided. This is much like the lottery which resulted in getting the funds /instead/ of state funds, not in addition to. Yeah, that one is against the law too, but there seems to be a trend going on with this. The only way any of you can positively impact the future of Oklahoma's economy is to roll up your sleeves and volunteer 1 day every month in a school. Just that much involvement will have a tremendous impact on the students, the teacher, and on you."

http://kyaria.livejournal.com...
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 4:35:14 PM
At 8/26/2010 4:19:28 PM, theLwerd wrote:
So what you (or your mom?) is saying is that teachers are under-appreciated and under-paid...

Basically. All those rich people that don't do anything to actually deserve their money keep bitching about how much money goes towards teachers when teachers are probably the least paid and most vital.
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 7:07:59 PM
At 8/26/2010 4:35:14 PM, lovelife wrote:
So what you (or your mom?) is saying is that teachers are under-appreciated and under-paid...

Basically. All those rich people that don't do anything to actually deserve their money keep bitching about how much money goes towards teachers when teachers are probably the least paid and most vital.

Your 100% a communist
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 7:52:22 PM
At 8/26/2010 7:07:59 PM, PalinFan wrote:

Your 100% a communist

wtf is that supposed to mean? I just want hard workers to get paid more without ppl that do sh*t for the country as a whole to stop bitching about it. If thats what being a comminist is then yep damn straight.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:13:36 PM
At 8/26/2010 7:52:22 PM, lovelife wrote:

Your 100% a communist

wtf is that supposed to mean? I just want hard workers to get paid more without ppl that do sh*t for the country as a whole to stop bitching about it. If thats what being a comminist is then yep damn straight.

pretty sure it means palinfan is a 100% troll
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:15:40 PM
At 8/26/2010 8:13:36 PM, belle wrote:

Your 100% a communist

So its just like all his other posts, and is completely pointless. -_-
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:29:03 PM
At 8/26/2010 8:15:40 PM, lovelife wrote:

Your 100% a communist

It means that he (unlike you) actually understands how the economy (and the world) works. The value of your work is in NO WAY related to how much or how hard you work. Some jobs are more important and much harder to replace than others. PERIOD. So who are you referring to when you say "rich people that don't do anything" ?? I'd like to see an average high school teacher take over Microsoft for a couple of months without running it into the ground, causing hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:34:20 PM
At 8/26/2010 8:29:03 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:

Your 100% a communist

It means that he (unlike you) actually understands how the economy (and the world) works. The value of your work is in NO WAY related to how much or how hard you work. Some jobs are more important and much harder to replace than others. PERIOD. So who are you referring to when you say "rich people that don't do anything" ?? I'd like to see an average high school teacher take over Microsoft for a couple of months without running it into the ground, causing hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs.

I'm talking about sh*theads like my dad that sit around no education doing nothing but sitting on a train make it stop and go (just push a button) and sometimes push a button to let ppl know he is awake. That also get free lodging and food half the time (always when he's at work) get great insurance (free) and b*tch about having to pay child support, or that teachers want to earn enough money to at least live off of, while he wastes easily about $2,000 a month.
And no he does not deserve to get paid that much and teachers are way more importantant than stupid computer companies.
Who the f*ck taught them the basics they used to learn how to assemble computers? Sure the business taught them some but they had to come in with some kind of knowlage on the subject, which came from somewhere.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:52:40 PM
At 8/26/2010 8:34:20 PM, lovelife wrote:

Your 100% a communist

I'm talking about sh*theads like my dad that sit around no education doing nothing but sitting on a train make it stop and go (just push a button) and sometimes push a button to let ppl know he is awake. That also get free lodging and food half the time (always when he's at work) get great insurance (free) and b*tch about having to pay child support, or that teachers want to earn enough money to at least live off of, while he wastes easily about $2,000 a month.
And no he does not deserve to get paid that much and teachers are way more importantant than stupid computer companies.
Who the f*ck taught them the basics they used to learn how to assemble computers? Sure the business taught them some but they had to come in with some kind of knowlage on the subject, which came from somewhere.

If your dad's job is so much better paying and easier than a teacher's job, why don't they do that instead? Why did they take a hard, low-paying job, when there are other higher paying jobs available?

It's because most teachers, at least most teachers that work for low salaries, are passionate about their job. They do what they do because they care about children. That's why it's good that they have low salaries (or, at least, it would be good if they did have low salaries, which they certainly do not, at least not most of the time) It ensures that the people that apply for teaching jobs are people that care about teaching, not people that care about money.

Let's say we doubled teachers' (already high) salaries overnight. It would help current teachers, but what other effects wold it have? It would cause more people who care more about money than teaching to apply for teaching jobs. How would the school administrators be able to tell the difference? Administrators generally know little to nothing about teaching, and often hire based on academic credentials, which have never been shown to be related to more teaching ability. The end result is that we would have teachers that have more degrees, but are less passionate about children, and are therefore worse teachers, leading to even worse schools. Teacher salaries and public school spending have been going up exponentially over the past 50 years. Academic achievement has been stagnating. There are, of course, other factors, but increasing teacher salaries certainly isn't helping.

Also: I'm pretty sure Bill Gates taught himself most of what he knows about computers, as well as what he knows about running a business.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 8:52:47 PM

Your 100% a communist

Holy hell, we have been over this a million times its called SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!! When only a limited number of people want to do the same job as your father he will get paid more because it will be harder to replace him! Everybody and their mother wants to be a teacher, so she has to accept the fact that she will be paid less as her position is very easy to replace with someone else. Its not all about working hard, Its about working smart as well. You can be an exceptionally hard worker but that doesn't guarantee you a good salary and good job, you have to examine the job market and make an educated decision as to what you will do for the rest of your life, in order to make a good salary.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:07:52 PM

LMAO clearly you've never heard of supply and demand. If you did a survey of how many high school students said that they wanted to be a teacher versus how many said they wanted to be a train conductor, and then compared that to the number of available jobs in each of the two fields, guess what, I guarantee you there would be far fewer future train conductors than teachers. Therefore, a teacher is easier to replace, which makes their individual contribution less valuable than that of the conductor. This is also why school principles and teachers with seniority get paid more, because they're harder to replace. Sure it might seem shitty to you, but that's how it works.

Who the f*ck taught them the basics they used to learn how to assemble computers?

It wasn't grade school teachers I can tell you that much.

Sure the business taught them some but they had to come in with some kind of knowlage on the subject, which came from somewhere.

Yes that came from anywhere between 4 to 8 years of university education and graduate research lead by professors whom I can assure you are neither over-worked nor underpaid.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:44:12 PM
At 8/26/2010 8:52:40 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Wow you don't know what your talking about obviously. I know many teachers and I'm on good enough terms to know that they are ALL pretty much homeless because the pay is so low.
Teachers are needed, they should be paid more, at least enough to live. They have to pay the supplies, their bills, their children's higher education, often have to pay for using the copy machine at their work, and on average make about -$100 a month.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:48:39 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:13:37 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I seriously still think a teacher's job is easy.

Then you should try living as a teacher or a teacher's child. Actually I only know maybe 1-2 ppl that want to teach, I know about 25 that want to run trains. Now they actually make them go through a training thing for a few weeks so its not as easy, but still.

And I don't give a sh*t about "supply and demand" in the workforce, I care about people that actually help others getting paid. You don't need coal for elecricity there is water power, solar power, so many other things that don't need replaced soon anyway. His job shouldn't even exist.

Anyway Learing takes a gradual process, it takes what you learned when you were little and buliding on that in order to learn how to do complex things.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:49:55 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:44:12 PM, lovelife wrote:

Wow you don't know what your talking about obviously. I know many teachers and I'm on good enough terms to know that they are ALL pretty much homeless because the pay is so low.
Teachers are needed, they should be paid more, at least enough to live. They have to pay the supplies, their bills, their children's higher education, often have to pay for using the copy machine at their work, and on average make about -$100 a month.

teachers in NYC do AOK
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:51:54 PM

Also: I'm pretty sure Bill Gates taught himself most of what he knows about computers, as well as what he knows about running a business.

Where did he learn to think? The job of teachers is not to teach facts, but teach one how to find the answers.

Too bad with all these standardized tests and sh*t nobody seems to understand that anymore. Now everyone is all uneducated going backwards cause the educated get f*cked over.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:52:43 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:49:55 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

teachers in NYC do AOK

not Phenomenal... but AOK.

and they get all the benefits you could ask for... easy retirement...

Summers!!... and a decent workday.

If I don't get a higher degree... I want to teach high school or even grammar school.

I think Teaching is the Only thing I'd actually like to do.

or Construction.. lol :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:52:59 PM

"South Dakota had the lowest average [teacher] salary in 2002-03, at $32,414. The other states in the bottom tier were Montana, at $35,754; Mississippi, at $35,135; North Dakota, at $33,869; and Oklahoma, at $33,277."

You just live in a shïtty state. You're making a generalization based off of false information.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:55:17 PM

teachers in NYC do AOK

http://sde.state.ok.us...

Thats before they get taxed, and again before they have to pay all the expenses of being a teacher. In Oklahoma anyway.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 9:57:56 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:52:59 PM, PalinFan wrote:

"South Dakota had the lowest average [teacher] salary in 2002-03, at $32,414. The other states in the bottom tier were Montana, at $35,754; Mississippi, at $35,135; North Dakota, at $33,869; and Oklahoma, at $33,277."

You just live in a shïtty state. You're making a generalization based off of false information.

Not false, where is Wyoming on that list?
My stepmom is a special ed teacher so she gets paid a lot more then normal teachers and its still not a lot. Its good enough since she only has two kids and my dad makes a crap load of money (and established he wants to spend 0 of it on me. Ever, so just whatever I don't have to go back there anymore. Maybe I can visit Canada instead)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:01:55 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:55:17 PM, lovelife wrote:

teachers in NYC do AOK

http://sde.state.ok.us...

Thats before they get taxed, and again before they have to pay all the expenses of being a teacher. In Oklahoma anyway.

25+years= $42,325

yeah... that's pretty abysmal for 25 years exp...

I'm pretty sure my one 7th grade teacher who had about that was making like 85 grand...

then you get half that for your pension... and healthcare for life... which is SWEET for not doing anything anymore.

my dad who's worked for banks his whole life has gotten laid off... and can't really get hired anywhere... Medical's out the window just when we really need it... and all the retirement plan's getting drained to pay for Medical...

State Employment is a solid way to go... at least in NYC.

Metaphysics:
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:04:56 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:57:56 PM, lovelife wrote:

My stepmom is a special ed teacher so she gets paid a lot more then normal teachers and its still not a lot. Its good enough since she only has two kids and my dad makes a crap load of money (and established he wants to spend 0 of it on me. Ever, so just whatever I don't have to go back there anymore. Maybe I can visit Canada instead)

So you openly admit your making absurd generalizations. And what is with you and personalizing everything and making appeals to emotion?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:12:14 PM
At 8/26/2010 10:04:56 PM, PalinFan wrote:
At 8/26/2010 9:57:56 PM, lovelife wrote:

So you openly admit your making absurd generalizations. And what is with you and personalizing everything and making appeals to emotion?

I did not generalize anything, I asked you a question.

Just stating facts that I know cause I have to live with it. I love how I keep getting screwed over and people are begging to f-ing screw me over even more. the Swedish lifestyle is best (I actually read that earlier today might find it again) but I heard they only let you in if you marry in. Mot much of an option for me.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:16:00 PM
"
As for spending all your money on crap and not bothering to work hard? It turns out that it might be the healthiest behavior in your life. A recent study showed that Swedish people are the happiest in the world, but not because they are all blond-haired, furniture building ex-models.

The secret to their happiness seems to be the fact that their socio-economic classes are very close to each other. Basically no one in Sweden is really "rich," which makes everyone (including the rich people) healthier and happier."

Terrible.

http://www.cracked.com...
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:21:06 PM
At 8/26/2010 9:48:39 PM, lovelife wrote:

Then you should try living as a teacher or a teacher's child. Actually I only know maybe 1-2 ppl that want to teach, I know about 25 that want to run trains. Now they actually make them go through a training thing for a few weeks so its not as easy, but still.

And I don't give a sh*t about "supply and demand" in the workforce, I care about people that actually help others getting paid. You don't need coal for elecricity there is water power, solar power, so many other things that don't need replaced soon anyway. His job shouldn't even exist.

Anyway Learing takes a gradual process, it takes what you learned when you were little and buliding on that in order to learn how to do complex things.

Wow, what kind of class are you in. Everyone in my class would much rather be a teacher than drive the MUNI bus or metro Trains. Teacher's job is only hard if he/she makes it hard. Most of my teachers reduce the work load by getting teacher's assistants to grade the homework and tests for them. My math teachers just put the book in front of us and told us to do said problems, look at the examples on how to do them, and if we still do not get it, ask for help, if nobody asked for help all my teachers had to do was sit on the desk reading the paper, surfing the net, or do sudoku puzzles. Teachers understood that they would get paid very little when they became teachers, but they still went and did it. Teachers have degrees that allows them to choose another profession other than teaching, my math teacher worked at NASA before, my biotech teacher worked at Genentech, and my physics teacher has a doctorate degree in physics but they still chose to be teachers knowing they get paid very little. We live in America if teachers are not happy with their wages then they should take another job in which the are qualified for, that pays more than apparently a 7eleven, its that simple.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2010 10:43:16 PM
At 8/26/2010 10:21:06 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 8/26/2010 9:48:39 PM, lovelife wrote:

Wow, what kind of class are you in. Everyone in my class would much rather be a teacher than drive the MUNI bus or metro Trains.

Talking about coal trians. Just sit there and push a few buttons. Robot monkeys could do it.

Teacher's job is only hard if he/she makes it hard. Most of my teachers reduce the work load by getting teacher's assistants to grade the homework and tests for them.

Not allowed.

My math teachers just put the book in front of us and told us to do said problems, look at the examples on how to do them, and if we still do not get it, ask for help, if nobody asked for help all my teachers had to do was sit on the desk reading the paper, surfing the net, or do sudoku puzzles.

Thats not kindergarten, and thats not really teaching.

Teachers understood that they would get paid very little when they became teachers, but they still went and did it. Teachers have degrees that allows them to choose another profession other than teaching, my math teacher worked at NASA before, my biotech teacher worked at Genentech, and my physics teacher has a doctorate degree in physics but they still chose to be teachers knowing they get paid very little. We live in America if teachers are not happy with their wages then they should take another job in which the are qualified for, that pays more than apparently a 7eleven, its that simple.

Not really. Idk what she's qualified for. Anyway she says she got a calling from God that she ahd to be a teacher when she learned how to read (she's dyslexic and had a lot more problems so she was inspired) now she says she's going back to school to become a rehab worker like my aunt cause they get paid alot in England apparently. Some reason aunt wouldn't go to england, where her family is so turned down a $350,000 job to stay for $75,000. Whatever. Either way she wasted all my childhood and money on something not worth it and wont even start making decent money until I'm out of college. Once again I get screwed over and my bros get all the benefits (now PF you can accuse me of personalizing it)
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 12:50:55 AM
out of everything your mom teaches kindergarten? Don't she just gotta teach kindergartners the ABC's and like simple addition and subtraction? Your mom has to be qualified to do something else if she went to college. Calling from god... really now...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 1:02:51 AM
At 8/27/2010 12:50:55 AM, Loserboi wrote:
out of everything your mom teaches kindergarten? Don't she just gotta teach kindergartners the ABC's and like simple addition and subtraction? Your mom has to be qualified to do something else if she went to college. Calling from god... really now...

"I teach Kindergarten. Back in the day when I was in school we learned how to color inside the lines. Now the state has demanded kids be able to, not only read, but understand the different parts of a sentence (noun, verb, etc). Not the same world at all."

I agree she has stupid reasons for doing stupid things. I just wish I wasn't affected so much, or the ones that are doing one of the most vital jobs would be treated and paid as such.