European Misconception of American Education

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:39:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
(Mirza read this!)

Europeans generally think that Americans consist of horribly ignorant white trash conservatives. However, that actually isn't the case.
http://www.heritage.org...
Granted, this link is about something else. However, it provided me with the statistic that I needed, so...
According to this link, in 2009 if White Americans were considered their own country their students would rank 3rd among OECD countries in terms of their PISA reading score. Hispanics would be ranked 31st and blacks would be ranked 33rd.
This means that the average White American is, at least in terms of reading abilities, superior to the average European. Of course, that's just reading skills. But the results are likely similar in other categories.

To be fair, it really isn't the fault of blacks. There's just something about the education system in Black-majority schools that is of lesser quality compared to the rest of the nation. Also, I feel kind of like an @$$hole for throwing blacks under the bus like this. However, the reason that American Students are ranked so low is because of groups such as Blacks and Hispanics, and the average White American student performs at no lower level than the average European student does (or maybe just a little bit lower at worst).

P.S. The Heritage Foundation's reliability isn't really disputed even among Liberals, so please don't complain about its Conservative bias.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ax123man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 11:15:09 AM
Just to give context:

"Since school funding is so similar across racial and ethnic groups, it cannot be the proximate cause of group differences in school achievement."

But the more important question is: why is it that funding seems to be scrutinized so much?. And the answer is obvious: turns out people like money. Schools want more of it for some strange reason. It should be obvious that culture affects education MUCH more than funding. But you don't get a new football field by electing politicians to talk publicly about how culture affects education. You won't even see a politician mention it for fear of being branded racist. But blacks, like Thomas Sowell, who are also well educated and knowledgeable on the subject, WILL talk about it, thankfully.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:27:40 AM
At 8/9/2015 6:39:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
(Mirza read this!)

Europeans generally think that Americans consist of horribly ignorant white trash conservatives. However, that actually isn't the case.
http://www.heritage.org...
Granted, this link is about something else. However, it provided me with the statistic that I needed, so...
According to this link, in 2009 if White Americans were considered their own country their students would rank 3rd among OECD countries in terms of their PISA reading score. Hispanics would be ranked 31st and blacks would be ranked 33rd.
This means that the average White American is, at least in terms of reading abilities, superior to the average European. Of course, that's just reading skills. But the results are likely similar in other categories.

To be fair, it really isn't the fault of blacks. There's just something about the education system in Black-majority schools that is of lesser quality compared to the rest of the nation. Also, I feel kind of like an @$$hole for throwing blacks under the bus like this. However, the reason that American Students are ranked so low is because of groups such as Blacks and Hispanics, and the average White American student performs at no lower level than the average European student does (or maybe just a little bit lower at worst).

P.S. The Heritage Foundation's reliability isn't really disputed even among Liberals, so please don't complain about its Conservative bias.

Good luck getting Mirza to respond seriously.

The Black culture and Hispanic cultures are separatist. If we had segregation today the people protesting school integration would be black and Hispanic. They see the US government, police, laws, education system, and economy as an oppressing force threatening their culture. Too big a group of them don't want to participate. And if you don't go along with those things, of course you'll end up poor, uneducated, running from the law.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:20:00 PM
I agree with the post, and the data, but pull this part out.

That is not generally true. They do think that Conservative Americans are predominantly white trash and ignorant, they don't think that Americans are all Conservatives.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:45:04 PM
At 8/26/2015 3:20:00 PM, TBR wrote:
I agree with the post, and the data, but pull this part out.

That is not generally true. They do think that Conservative Americans are predominantly white trash and ignorant, they don't think that Americans are all Conservatives.

My OP also shows that white Conservatives aren't quite as ignorant as that stereotype would suggest, since it shows that white students in the United States in general aren't as dumb as Europeans think.

The DDO Blog:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:51:59 PM

My OP also shows that white Conservatives aren't quite as ignorant as that stereotype would suggest, since it shows that white students in the United States in general aren't as dumb as Europeans think.

We are talking about the impressions of people outside our country. That is the subject. The perception is - its the Conservative bible thumping red-necks.

Take evolution. That subject alone make us look like idiots, but they (Europeans generally) associated that with only one group.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:56:13 PM
I hired an Irish guy (developer). We became good friends over the time. He travails a lot. Point being, as the story's go from him and his friends, they see two very different Americas. They all want to come visit and travel. When you talk about the red states, they reaction is akin to asking them about visiting Mogadishu.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 4:18:27 PM
There really is no comparison between red states and Somalia, regardless of what many Europeans may think.

The DDO Blog: