Jump to topic:

How can the US acheive equal education

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 4:45:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I come from a middle class family in Texas, went to public schools, and believe they provided me with a good education. In a simplistic way of looking at funding, property taxes contribute to school funds, and generally speaking in Spring/Tomball/Cypress area (in Texas), the "nicer looking" schools are in the areas where the home values are considerably well-off. Now I believe that education is extremely important to one's success in life, and that teachers should be paid a lot more than what they are in public schools. The areas in, and around Houston that have poor, run down homes, also seem to have poor, run-down schools. My wife (RN) and I both work (accounts payable manager), and we send our 4 kids to public school. We live in a middle class area (home valued at 150K), so I consider us to be pretty average.

I'm looking for ideas on what is fair to provide better schools and education for all children. My wife and I work hard to provide for our kids, and we moved into our home, because we knew the schools were good, and I have no problem paying my property taxes to help toward funding the schools. Some people for financial reasons can not live in a middle class area, so their kids suffer by attending schools that are inferior (teachers are underpaid/books are out dated, etc.). I believe my children deserve a good education, because we work hard to provide, but what are some solutions to providing school districts with more funding to improve education.

People who live in wealthier neighborhoods are paying out more in total dollars (maybe not percentage), and so they obviously have schools that can afford to pay teachers more, and have nicer schools. They are parents who presumably want the best for their kids, and can afford to give it to them. There are poorer families, who also want a proper education for their children, but can't afford to live in the nicer neighborhoods, so their children go to inferior schools, and receive a below average education. What would be considered a fair way to provide equal education opportunities to all children (or is that just an unrealistic goal due to economic/social-class status)?
I am not for redistribution of wealth, as I believe if you want a better life, you have to work for it, and make sacrifices along the way. I have worked two jobs at different times in my life (one full time, one part time) in order to save money to buy a house, and once to help pay for my wedding. I do believe in helping people out through hard times (unemployment, food stamps until you can make it on your own), but I'm not for permanent government assistance.

I'm just looking for a discussion on ideas of how to provide quality education for all children, and also increase teacher pay (I am not a teacher, nor have any immediate family in education).
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 5:43:22 PM
At 8/12/2015 4:45:12 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
I come from a middle class family in Texas, went to public schools, and believe they provided me with a good education. In a simplistic way of looking at funding, property taxes contribute to school funds, and generally speaking in Spring/Tomball/Cypress area (in Texas), the "nicer looking" schools are in the areas where the home values are considerably well-off. Now I believe that education is extremely important to one's success in life, and that teachers should be paid a lot more than what they are in public schools. The areas in, and around Houston that have poor, run down homes, also seem to have poor, run-down schools. My wife (RN) and I both work (accounts payable manager), and we send our 4 kids to public school. We live in a middle class area (home valued at 150K), so I consider us to be pretty average.

I'm looking for ideas on what is fair to provide better schools and education for all children. My wife and I work hard to provide for our kids, and we moved into our home, because we knew the schools were good, and I have no problem paying my property taxes to help toward funding the schools. Some people for financial reasons can not live in a middle class area, so their kids suffer by attending schools that are inferior (teachers are underpaid/books are out dated, etc.). I believe my children deserve a good education, because we work hard to provide, but what are some solutions to providing school districts with more funding to improve education.

People who live in wealthier neighborhoods are paying out more in total dollars (maybe not percentage), and so they obviously have schools that can afford to pay teachers more, and have nicer schools. They are parents who presumably want the best for their kids, and can afford to give it to them. There are poorer families, who also want a proper education for their children, but can't afford to live in the nicer neighborhoods, so their children go to inferior schools, and receive a below average education. What would be considered a fair way to provide equal education opportunities to all children (or is that just an unrealistic goal due to economic/social-class status)?
I am not for redistribution of wealth, as I believe if you want a better life, you have to work for it, and make sacrifices along the way. I have worked two jobs at different times in my life (one full time, one part time) in order to save money to buy a house, and once to help pay for my wedding. I do believe in helping people out through hard times (unemployment, food stamps until you can make it on your own), but I'm not for permanent government assistance.

I'm just looking for a discussion on ideas of how to provide quality education for all children, and also increase teacher pay (I am not a teacher, nor have any immediate family in education).

Get rid of Liberals.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 5:46:01 PM
I did a research paper on this (how to make the US system better). It is too big to include here, so message me instead.