Jump to topic:

On Math

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:52:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, I'm taking math. Because I am a stupid, stupid man, I signed up for the class that I tested into, as opposed to ones below where I tested into. But my poor life decisions are not the point of this post.

I'm curious about what makes someone good at math. I mean, obviously, people are good at math. I'm pretty good at simple algebra and basic functions. Those seem to be simple applications of principles. But once we get into the devil's math--i.e., Calculus--it feels like it's more about memorization. And maybe that's what the elementary stuff is, too--memorization and then application of the rules. But the rules of basic algebra and basic functions are more intuitive. It's easier to re-figure them out, if you forget them. That's what I do, on occasion, when I do forget a rule.

If I can't remember whether when you multiply two variables with an exponent you ADD the exponent or MULTIPLY the exponent, I can just plug in a few example ones, and rediscover something that I'm supposed to remember out of hand.

Once we get into Calculus, though, there doesn't seem to be a quick way to get to the principles. Same thing, really, with the "hard" parts of Trig.

So, it's a long way round the mountain to get to wondering: is being good at high-level math really just being good at remembering the rules? Or is there a way of thinking that makes one more math-y, and if so, what is it?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:02:36 AM
At 10/3/2015 7:52:52 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So, I'm taking math. Because I am a stupid, stupid man, I signed up for the class that I tested into, as opposed to ones below where I tested into. But my poor life decisions are not the point of this post.

I'm curious about what makes someone good at math. I mean, obviously, people are good at math. I'm pretty good at simple algebra and basic functions. Those seem to be simple applications of principles. But once we get into the devil's math--i.e., Calculus--it feels like it's more about memorization. And maybe that's what the elementary stuff is, too--memorization and then application of the rules. But the rules of basic algebra and basic functions are more intuitive. It's easier to re-figure them out, if you forget them. That's what I do, on occasion, when I do forget a rule.

If I can't remember whether when you multiply two variables with an exponent you ADD the exponent or MULTIPLY the exponent, I can just plug in a few example ones, and rediscover something that I'm supposed to remember out of hand.

Once we get into Calculus, though, there doesn't seem to be a quick way to get to the principles. Same thing, really, with the "hard" parts of Trig.

So, it's a long way round the mountain to get to wondering: is being good at high-level math really just being good at remembering the rules? Or is there a way of thinking that makes one more math-y, and if so, what is it?

Practice.
Sounds stupid, but I'm serious. Find the most basic explanation online and practice its application.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:04:53 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:02:36 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Practice.
Sounds stupid, but I'm serious. Find the most basic explanation online and practice its application.

Well, yes, practice is good. But what are you practicing? A thought process, or mere memory application?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:08:13 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:04:53 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/3/2015 8:02:36 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Practice.

Well, yes, practice is good. But what are you practicing? A thought process, or mere memory application?
If you struggle with Calculus, then I'd practice that.
:
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:14:23 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:08:13 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Practice.

If you struggle with Calculus, then I'd practice that.

Doesn't really answer the underlying question.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 2:45:32 PM
You need to understand the essence of your calculation. I'm not too sure how I can explain this well, but you need to know what you are doing, why you are doing it and what you want to achieve with it. In fact, this is applicable to everything you want to learn/be good at. Basically Action - Reason - Result.

As a somewhat unrelated example, lets take calculation with pi. While the majority of individuals may know how to calculate with pi, they do not know what pi actually is, thus they do not understand what they are doing.

If you understand exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it and what your result actually is, it is way easier to retain the knowledge. Practice itself is useless. You can practice a calculation or in fact any skill as long as you want to, if you do not understand it, the practice is useless.

Hope this helped..
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:40:37 PM

I think Blade is asking "how do you calculus." Do you memorize and apply formulas, or is there a specific mental approach, a way of thinking, that one ought to adopt.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:42:43 PM
At 10/3/2015 7:40:37 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I think Blade is asking "how do you calculus." Do you memorize and apply formulas, or is there a specific mental approach, a way of thinking, that one ought to adopt.

I guess so, but I am not good at explaining these things.
:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:44:30 PM
At 10/3/2015 7:42:43 PM, Fkkize wrote:

I guess so, but I am not good at explaining these things.

Okay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:50:39 PM

If you know how to work something and what you'll get from it, you can apply it to other scenarios.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:54:57 PM

This is not about a specific study of maths, as far as I understand calculus was simply used as an example.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:58:33 PM
At 10/3/2015 7:54:57 PM, WAM wrote:

This is not about a specific study of maths, as far as I understand calculus was simply used as an example.

I know that. Calculus was merely a convenient example.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:18:45 PM

One does not do Calculus, Calculus does you.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:18:45 PM
At 10/3/2015 7:58:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I know that. Calculus was merely a convenient example.

Somebody on here ought to know... My Dad is a Phd astrophysicist, I'd assume he'd know, but its like 4 am here so I can't really ask him...

Besides, I have nearly 100% on maths at Uni, I simply relate it and try to calculate it myself first and then see how others do it... Normally it's a huge mess and I always argue with my family, my tutor and the other students, but the result (and thus the calculation) is always correct... But I wouldn't really recommend that if you don't have a pretty good understanding of numbers and calculations..
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:22:02 PM
At 10/3/2015 8:18:45 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

I didn't know calculus was a top.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:34:29 PM

I'm taking Calculus right now and actually had this thought recently. The tests so far have been based off of how good one is at memorizing formulas or methods to complete problems. Of course there is some memorization involved, but a lot of it has to do with how good you are at figuring out how to find the solution.

For example, a lesson may require the memorization of a certain method in order to solve problems. Someone who is not good at math may have no problem memorizing the method, but they'll struggle trying to apply it in order to find the solution of a problem. Someone who is good at math would be skilled at applying past rules to a problem in order to ring out a solution.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 11:25:47 PM
At 10/3/2015 10:34:29 PM, Varrack wrote:
I'm taking Calculus right now

God have mercy on your soul.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 11:57:37 PM
At 10/3/2015 11:25:47 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 10/3/2015 10:34:29 PM, Varrack wrote:
I'm taking Calculus right now

God have mercy on your soul.

I'm sure you're dying to learn about derivatives, sigma, functions, and all that wonderful stuff deep down inside :)
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 12:26:47 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:14:23 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Doesn't really answer the underlying question.

Go with the thought process as much as you can; only use normal memorization for specific formulas that can't be retrieved any other way (for example, derivatives of incredibly useless/obscure quantities like f(x) = arcsec(x)). Find a thought process that works for you, and practice that. It's easy enough to learn the "shortcut" method for derivatives, and it works extremely well, but learning about limits that could take the slope at a point (and then, later, the derivative) is what I needed to actually understand the concept.
Usually, when it comes to formulas, looking at the proofs is best.
For derivatives with division, I know that the derivative's low d-high minus high d-low all over low squared thanks to a mnemonic device, but seeing the proof makes the reason why it works more clear.

When all else failed, I was able to approximate based on what I knew, and then I worked backwards to see where that might have come from / what quantity it looked roughly equal to.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 2:24:43 AM

I took Calc BC last year, and most of it wasn't that bad (except optimization and series). There are a lot of rules, i.e. derivatives and integrals, and if you want to understand where they came from I guess proofs are a good place to start. The thing is that they're so long sometimes that you just don't have time to re-derive the formulas when you're taking a test. In that sense it's faster to use memorization. But I think there's a difference between being "good" at math (being good at applying formulas) and understanding what you're doing with them. Ex. if you know how to calculate an integral then you can get the answer, but if you don't understand that you're actually adding up area under a curve then you haven't understood the concept. So I guess just knowing why you're doing something should help a lot.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:47:41 PM

When I took the placement test for college, I got placed into Trigonometry. There sure was ALLOT of stuff to remember, and if you have to take Pre-Cal and Calculus, you must remember all the Trig functions etc.. Calculus is like Trigonometry on steroids.

SOHCAHTOA was very helpful for Trig.

SOHCAHTOA

A way of remembering how to compute the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle.

SOH stands for Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse.

CAH stands for Cosine equals Adjacent over Hypotenuse.

TOA stands for Tangent equals Opposite over Adjacent.

You also need to memorize the Trigonometry table. This will definitely help you understand equations. Once you remember the table, you wont have to constantly look at it in order to solve an equation. Come up with silly or easy abbreviations to remember steps etc..
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:43:10 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:18:45 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

In Corporatist America, you do Calculus. In Soviet Russia, Calculus does you.