Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

How Can We Truly Test A Kid's Intelligence?

ChristopherCaldwell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 5:02:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
After questioning numerous students and teachers at my high school, they all respect the standards that Common Core (http://www.corestandards.org...) implement, they just judge it based on its emphasis on standardized testing and manufacturing children to be the same. I'm asking the people of debate.org to suggest how they would test a student's intelligence. What's better than standardized testing? Should we have multiple variations of these tests? Will your idea truly get an accurate measurement of the amount of information the child has absorbed? Will the student's be able to cheat? If there has been a similar post to this, or an article offering possible answers, please leave links.
Logan32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 9:07:30 AM
I am also very interested in knowing how we can test a kid"s intelligence. Actually pretty soon I am going to join a Phoenix kindergarten http://www.aseds.org... so all this information would be helpful for me in knowing the abilities of my students.
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:40:15 AM
Intellect is not something which one can label. Quite frankly, I do not believe there is a single person on this planet who is intellectually superior to another; however, I would argue that intelligence type varies among people (not in strength but in type).

(Howard Gardner and Robert Sternberg are two respectful philosophers/psychologists who have frequently addressed this matter in their own respects.)
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 9:22:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 10/10/2015 5:02:23 PM, ChristopherCaldwell wrote:
After questioning numerous students and teachers at my high school, they all respect the standards that Common Core (http://www.corestandards.org...) implement, they just judge it based on its emphasis on standardized testing and manufacturing children to be the same. I'm asking the people of debate.org to suggest how they would test a student's intelligence. What's better than standardized testing? Should we have multiple variations of these tests? Will your idea truly get an accurate measurement of the amount of information the child has absorbed? Will the student's be able to cheat? If there has been a similar post to this, or an article offering possible answers, please leave links.

Here's a truly interesting discussion about IQ testing, it's a 30 minute audio, a round table discussion between disagreeing academics - with a host to keep things under control!

Definitely worth a listen if you have any views on this subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Harry.
AmazingMel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 5:08:16 PM
Allo! ^__^

I don't know but there's this site called VARK online , it stands for the four key elements of learning. Which You can find here>> http://vark-learn.com...
1. Visual
2. Auditory.
2.Reading/Writing
4. Kinaestic.

A Few Tips!
Visual learners can learn better by highlighting stuff as they are more attracted to the colors.

Auditory learners tend to learn better with lectures and podcasts , trying making songs and using podcasts. :)

Reading/Writing-They learn by coping it down and reading it allowed , most of the smart kids fall into this group.

Kinaestic (like me! :D) Are hyperactive and restless and tend to learn better wit models and doing it themselves , cool activities help them learn better
Amazing Mel
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 3:33:45 PM
Well worth hearing my sympathies lie with Michael Ruse who believes intelligent tests are significant.
There was much debate about the evolution of intelligence.
Steven Pinker in his book How the Mind Works suggests stone aged man had an equivalent brain to modern man. Alfred Wallace believed that and therefore did not brlieve it could have evolved by natural selection.
Why would it evolve said Wallace since it was not needed.
Wallaces Paradox which Steven pinker claims to have refuted.
I noticed that Michael Ruse and Dr Ken Richardson both agree there are large differences between people.
Modernism tends to the belief anyone can achieve anything.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 8:26:57 PM
IQ tests have been criticized but in terms of mathematical thinking and thinking on the spot ability, IQ tests seem to be pretty good.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 4:05:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 1/31/2016 8:26:57 PM, famousdebater wrote:
IQ tests have been criticized but in terms of mathematical thinking and thinking on the spot ability, IQ tests seem to be pretty good.

Well, the most appropriate term for their measurement is convergent thinking.
herrby
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 8:25:28 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
You can never force the kids for testing their intelligence. You need to be smart when you think of testing them. Interesting games, puzzles and other online tests can help you achieve this goal. I had used the online 2nd grade tests available at http://www.kidsfront.com... and had success with this experiment.
Kyleconn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 8:10:31 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
A kid's intelligence depends on the ability to understand and interpret the meaning of words and use them correctly in a sentence.
While teaching a concept to students, we as teachers must focus on them to understand rather than just remember it.
Like for instance, it's easier to make them understand the concepts using flashcards. I use http://www.cram.com...
The true test of intelligence is learning things the right way and also using them correctly when needed.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 6:50:36 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/13/2016 8:10:31 AM, Kyleconn wrote:
A kid's intelligence depends on the ability to understand and interpret the meaning of words and use them correctly in a sentence.

Hogwash.
Language (aka the ability to understand and interpret the meaning of words and use them correctly in a sentence) is a particular skill set. We might agree that a particular level of intelligence is required for a certain level of expression of language, however we will disagree if you mean what you imply, which is that above average intelligence will be displayed by above average language skills. Conversely, that extremely low language skills is an indicator of low intelligence.
If you mean that in some general way, low language skills may possibly be attributed to low intelligence, well certainly, that is possible.
Below average language skills has a variety of causes, and low intelligence may be one of them.

Some individuals (easily 1 in 200) lack the ability to develope average language skills, despite above average intelligence.
There is not a 1:1 correspondence between intelligence and language.
On average, intelligent children will have good language skills, but there will be many exceptions.