Jump to topic:

Should we ban homework.

logical-master123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 8:04:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In this Forum post what side and any arguments if you think we should ban or not ban homework.
Came back to the site :)
iDaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 5:36:43 PM
Homework is there to reinforce what a student as learned in class and as such, there is zero purpose in removing homework from the learning curriculum. Any negative effects that homework as had on one student's grade is completely due to the laziness of the student him/herself and wouldn't have happened if the student had just done the homework in the first place.

Given, homework should be given out in moderation where the student is actually in control of the homework and can do all of it before the designated time, but at the same time, homework is now a key aspect of our school system and is there to verify that the student understood what was being learned in class and simply didn't copy another student in the classroom.

We also give homework to make sure that kids stay up to date on their lessons and maintain what they learned. If we didn't give homework over long breaks, where most kids are allowed to play video games all day and slack off, what guarantee do we have that the student as maintained what they learned enough to continue to perform well in school? A teacher could pass a topic in class and not be able to get back to it and because there was no homework over the break, a student remembers nothing about the topic. That's a guaranteed question wrong on their final tests.

Bottom Line: Homework is a part of our system now. Don't remove it.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 4:47:58 AM
At 10/13/2015 8:04:17 AM, logical-master123 wrote:
In this Forum post what side and any arguments if you think we should ban or not ban homework.

I think some teachers go overboard, but on balance, homework is beneficial and necessary.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 5:39:04 PM
School and college time is allocated to teach. If this cannot be achieved in the time there are two possible reasons: the syllabus is too large ; the teacher is not doing their job properly.
I have witnessed teachers marking having given out some work ; this is not teaching.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 11:40:34 AM
I think we should not ban homework, because it is practice of what they learned at school.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:34:31 AM
Actually we should ban homework.

Ban Homework

Pro

Arguments

No sleep time for kids.

Sleeping is very important for young students to grow. They spend almost 1/3 of the day sleeping. This is the time you have to rest and relax your brain from all you had done today. However would you not want to sleep? It is a time so when you get up you are not tired. Everyone needs some rest.

This is the problem with homework. There is no time for kids to sleep because you are so busy doing your homework. Studies say that sleeping is very important. If we don't sleep we die earlier.

Basically the argument is that there is no sleep time of kids. Every kid needs. Rest. Lets give an example. First thing in the morning you go to your school, and at 3 or 4, you come back from school. And you need some rest so you play for an hour or so. Then it is 5. You have to do some other stuff. Then it is at least seven, so you have to do your homework. Homework will take and long time, so then you will be late doing your homework. This will make you tired the next day because you didn"t sleep enough so you need some rest.

In the end I think that all kids need rest even though you don"t have homework. I believe that having better rest is better than having homework you already know because you learned it in school.

2. Homework isn"t that important.

This argument is all about that homework is not really important. First of all homework is just practicing the learned stuff at school and reviewing it. We don"t learn any thing new and also it is not checked and not in your grade either. But why do we need it even if the kids can do it whatever they want and the teachers not doing? This shows that homework is not that important.

This is the main part. Homework is not really that important. It does not even get in your report card, and teachers don"t even look at it. Why should we do this?

Lets give an example about Finland. They do not have homework! But they are one of the most successful and smartest countries. Even though you do homework doesn"t mean you are smart or very good. It does not help. Finland"s schools are successful because they do not do homework. Right now our Government team"s side has a solution that we should motivate the other countries around the world to be like Finland by banning homework.

"This is what we do every day," says Kirkkojarvi Comprehensive School principal Kari Louhivuori, "prepare kids for life." (Stuart Conway)

3. Can do other stuff more important than homework

Homework is not really important. You can do other important stuff like learn a new subject. There can be other important things that takes up the time of homework. You can do much more important things that homework.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Thanks.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 5:27:47 PM
At 10/21/2015 4:47:58 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I think some teachers go overboard, but on balance, homework is beneficial and necessary.

I feel the same about it. I was not a big fan of homework ,at all. I think it's needed to reinforce what's learned though.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:49:54 AM
At 12/1/2015 5:27:47 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 10/21/2015 4:47:58 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I feel the same about it. I was not a big fan of homework ,at all. I think it's needed to reinforce what's learned though.

There's often not sufficient time in class to both (a) teach the material, and (b) provide ample time for practice (self-learning) the self-same material. Time in class sufficiently solves for (a), but (b) is only solved by adding extra practice material to be done outside of class (i.e. homework). Without ample practice time, (a) is effectively ineffective, and essentially meritless. Simply put, (a) is only fulfilled when the premises of (b), and subsequent homework, are met.

Again, I stand by my previous comments regarding this subject, but I think one is objectively wrong to condemn homework on the sole basis of "learning is for school." Indeed, learning happens at school, but the facilitation of further learning (and learning itself, for that matter) is necessary in all areas of life. One would also be objectively wrong, to put it bluntly, if one was to assert homework doesn't accomplish (b). Because, on balance, homework material is substantive and concurrent with the subject being taught at school (at least, it should be). I'm against homework upon the basis of "learn this at home, I won't teach it in class." Because really, that is then the fault not of the homework material itself, but rather the teacher. When homework is substantive content, it's definitely necessary and beneficial.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ThePenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 5:32:45 PM
Many teachers will go overboard with the homework but in the long run it's beneficial. It helps teach kids how to manage their time responsibly. This is an important quality of you are to be a productive member of society.
More people get stoned in the Old Testament than in my jacuzzi
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 2:10:41 AM
At 12/3/2015 5:32:45 PM, ThePenguin wrote:
Many teachers will go overboard with the homework

Ditto.

but in the long run it's beneficial.

I'd say there is even short-term benefits. For example, more adequate scores on tests.

It helps teach kids how to manage their time responsibly.

Indeed. However, teachers must grade the homework to ensure students actually did do their homework correctly and managed time sufficiently.

This is an important quality of you are to be a productive member of society.

Agreed, to an extent.
collintheboss10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 6:40:55 AM
At 11/27/2015 5:34:31 AM, fire_wings wrote:

Ban Homework

Pro

Arguments

No sleep time for kids.

Sleeping is very important for young students to grow. They spend almost 1/3 of the day sleeping. This is the time you have to rest and relax your brain from all you had done today. However would you not want to sleep? It is a time so when you get up you are not tired. Everyone needs some rest.

This is the problem with homework. There is no time for kids to sleep because you are so busy doing your homework. Studies say that sleeping is very important. If we don't sleep we die earlier.

I think this issue that you bring up is an important one, however I believe it has more to do with the students lack of ability to budget time. Say a student wakes up a 6pm and goes to school, then does x-country till 4:30 then goes home and has hour and a half to work on homework then eats dinner for 45 min he has 3:15 min left to work on homework if they have any, and still sleep 9 hours which one more than is required for teens.

The students would have to be getting over4:45 min of home work every night. I've been in several ap class and never come close too this.

I believe homework is where it should be.
imqaphamn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:56:44 PM
At 11/27/2015 5:34:31 AM, fire_wings wrote:

Ban Homework

Pro

Arguments

No sleep time for kids.

Basically the argument is that there is no sleep time of kids. Every kid needs. Rest. Lets give an example. First thing in the morning you go to your school, and at 3 or 4, you come back from school. And you need some rest so you play for an hour or so. Then it is 5. You have to do some other stuff. Then it is at least seven, so you have to do your homework. Homework will take and long time, so then you will be late doing your homework. This will make you tired the next day because you didn"t sleep enough so you need some rest.

In the end I think that all kids need rest even though you don"t have homework. I believe that having better rest is better than having homework you already know because you learned it in school.

2. Homework isn"t that important.

This argument is all about that homework is not really important. First of all homework is just practicing the learned stuff at school and reviewing it. We don"t learn any thing new and also it is not checked and not in your grade either. But why do we need it even if the kids can do it whatever they want and the teachers not doing? This shows that homework is not that important.

This is the main part. Homework is not really that important. It does not even get in your report card, and teachers don"t even look at it. Why should we do this?

Lets give an example about Finland. They do not have homework! But they are one of the most successful and smartest countries. Even though you do homework doesn"t mean you are smart or very good. It does not help. Finland"s schools are successful because they do not do homework. Right now our Government team"s side has a solution that we should motivate the other countries around the world to be like Finland by banning homework.

"This is what we do every day," says Kirkkojarvi Comprehensive School principal Kari Louhivuori, "prepare kids for life." (Stuart Conway)

3. Can do other stuff more important than homework

Homework is not really important. You can do other important stuff like learn a new subject. There can be other important things that takes up the time of homework. You can do much more important things that homework.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Thanks.

You can't say home work doesn't help, it does actually.
As others have said, it's a way to reinforce what students have learnt at school but ofc, has to be given moderately. Students who lose sleep over home work probably don't know how to set their schedule and spend too much time online. I, myself, am an example of this and the blame is mostly on me. Not denying that sometimes teachers get too greedy over homework though.
Finland is successful in education can't be put down to 'no homework' policy alone, it's mostly because of their practical curriculum actually.
Moreover, it seems quite shallow to say students don't need to do revision just because teachers don't look at them, that's pure laziness.

To be honest, I don't like homework at all but then, I have to admit it's a part of studying that everybody should accept and find a way to deal with it themselves.