Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Should kids be told that animals have rights?

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 9:19:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Whilst animal rights remains such a controversial issue within society is it justified for schools to teach students that they do have rights?

Discus! I will join in the discussion later since I am busy at the moment.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 6:39:06 PM
Well since I believe that animal rights should be recognized in society I believe that kids should be told that animals have rights. I would e happy to discuss this issue with anybody who is Con animal rights or just con this particular issue.
John Galsworthy
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:07:01 PM
Personally I'm 'Pro' animal rights--not to an extreme point though. I essentially believe that they should *not* be killed for sport and that at least some ethical standards should exist in the production of meat. In addition, I see it as inevitable that animals will be used used in laboratories for scientific and commercial purposes; from that point, one could in fact easily argue that animals (or at least some) do not on a technical basis, have actual rights.

In short I don't believe that children in school should be taught that animals have rights, as I do not see how it would apply to the curriculum. In which subject is this to be taught? The fact is that it does not properly relate to any school subjects, especially those catered towards children under high school age.

Perhaps it's a topic that could be *discussed* at a more senior level, but again I do not see why the message should be exclusively that 'animals have rights'--that should be left for the pupil to decide only.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:27:21 PM
At 10/15/2015 9:19:19 AM, famousdebater wrote:
Whilst animal rights remains such a controversial issue within society is it justified for schools to teach students that they do have rights?

Yes I think it is logical to teach children to treat animals with respect and not abuse or neglect them. However it should not extend to promoting/ encouraging veganism or vegetarianism or discourage/condemn the farming of animals.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 3:05:32 PM
At 10/15/2015 11:27:21 PM, beng100 wrote:

Yes I think it is logical to teach children to treat animals with respect and not abuse or neglect them. However it should not extend to promoting/ encouraging veganism or vegetarianism or discourage/condemn the farming of animals.

Agreed.
John Galsworthy
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 4:52:41 PM
At 10/16/2015 3:05:32 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Agreed.

Of course.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 9:34:40 PM
At 10/15/2015 6:39:06 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Well since I believe that animal rights should be recognized in society I believe that kids should be told that animals have rights. I would e happy to discuss this issue with anybody who is Con animal rights or just con this particular issue.

I'm not really pro animal rights per se... I don't believe unecessary harm is acceptable, but I also don't believe animals are anywhere near the level that humans are. For example, abusing animals can facilitate abusing people. The mind adapts to the action and begins to accept it as something that isn't bad. That can be dangerous. On the other hand, it's useless to go to the extent of veganism or anything like that. Animals shouldn't have rights, but should be treated nicely... if that makes any sense.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 9:40:13 PM
At 10/15/2015 6:39:06 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I believe animal rights should also be recognized in society, but I don't believe we should tell kids that animal have rights, but rather, give them our reasons why we think animals should have rights and let them infer if they want animals to have rights or not.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 9:42:25 PM

I don't think there's many people "discouraging" farming of animals. Exposing the horrible practices done during animal farming is not actualy discouraging anything, but showing kids what is usualy done in farms so they can decide if they are ok with contributing to that or not.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 10:35:36 PM
At 10/16/2015 9:42:25 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't think there's many people "discouraging" farming of animals. Exposing the horrible practices done during animal farming is not actualy discouraging anything, but showing kids what is usualy done in farms so they can decide if they are ok with contributing to that or not.

I didn't say that farming is currently discouraged. I'm saying it should not be discouraged. It's right that it is encouraged. It is fair that any unethical farming methods are exposed. I think it is unfair to say horrible practices are normal on farms. The majority of farmers of which I am one never submit animals to horrible practices. Most farm animals enjoy their lives.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:04:41 PM
At 10/16/2015 10:35:36 PM, beng100 wrote:

I didn't say that farming is currently discouraged. I'm saying it should not be discouraged. It's right that it is encouraged. It is fair that any unethical farming methods are exposed. I think it is unfair to say horrible practices are normal on farms. The majority of farmers of which I am one never submit animals to horrible practices. Most farm animals enjoy their lives.

I believe that there has been a major misinterpretation of the term: animal farming.
John Galsworthy
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:11:48 PM
At 10/16/204:41 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I believe that there has been a major misinterpretation of the term: animal farming.

What do you believe this to be?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:18:37 PM
At 10/16/2015 11:11:48 PM, beng100 wrote:

http://www.peta.org...

When you talk about animal farming and animal rights, you usually refer to the link above
John Galsworthy
mbabar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 10:05:44 AM
I believe it should be taught in schools. Schools are not just there to teach you how to get into a good college and then graduate to get into a profitable job, it is also there to make us a responsible part of the world and any mature, responsible person should be aware of many immoral actions taking place against the animals. Many issues of ill-treatment of animals are rising around the world.
As animals cannot communicate with humans effectively or protest, we usually take unfair advantage of it and do not think morally e.g if we are hitting a baby he will cry and protest thus calling out to our judgement to be fair and reconsider our actions, on the other hand animals are not able to do so and furthermore as they are not belonging to the same specie as us their sounds do not to our softer nature. Due to this reason animals are being tortured and starved for human entertainment in circuses and animal fights. Rules should be set out for their hunting, meat production, experimentation to make this ethically right.
Children should be taught that animals have feelings, they can feel pain just as human do hence they should not be ill-treated. As these children are the future with such knowledge they will be able to find new ways for animal protection.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 12:54:46 PM
At 10/16/2015 11:18:37 PM, famousdebater wrote:

When you talk about animal farming and animal rights, you usually refer to the link above

Precisely. Thanks for the link.

When animal farming is debated in the context of animal rights, nobody is talking about so called "ecological farms" in which animals are practicaly in the wild, have good lives, and produce high quality products that only 10% of the population can afford. We talk about the other animal farming, the one in which animals are treated as things, live in a factory, and produce tons of meat a day that is cheap and consumed by the 90% of the population.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 1:00:54 PM
At 10/17/2015 12:54:46 PM, Otokage wrote:

When animal farming is debated in the context of animal rights, nobody is talking about so called "ecological farms" in which animals are practicaly in the wild, have good lives, and produce high quality products that only 10% of the population can afford. We talk about the other animal farming, the one in which animals are treated as things, live in a factory, and produce tons of meat a day that is cheap and consumed by the 90% of the population.

I think beng100 got the wrong end of the stick.
John Galsworthy
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 1:07:42 PM
At 10/17/2015 1:00:54 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Yeah, kind of haha. Although it would also be interesting to discuss ecological farming. I think it is unsubstainable, damaging to the environment, equaly immoral to an extent, etc.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 1:29:44 PM
At 10/17/2015 1:07:42 PM, Otokage wrote:

Yeah, kind of haha. Although it would also be interesting to discuss ecological farming. I think it is unsubstainable, damaging to the environment, equaly immoral to an extent, etc.

Do you have the same view regarding zoos? If you do then we could discuss that.
John Galsworthy
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 5:55:55 PM
At 10/17/2015 1:29:44 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Not the same, zoos are substainable and do not damage the environment. However, probably little to no zoos have appropiate facilities to give animals a quality life. If the business model of the zoo is to acquire a large facility to breed endangered animals in captivity and then release them in an appropriate natural space, I can be in favor. I think the benefits that people can see these animals live as they grow in captivity (always knowing that the objective is to return them to the wild where they belong), would be very beneficial for society.

This is not the case of nowadays zoos. Most animals either 1) born and die in the zoo, or 2) they are purchased from companies that are dedicated to the capture and illegal animal trafficking (this is especially common in aquatic animals like orcas and dolphins). The animals are kept in small and stressful facilities, and small children, often zoo lovers, gradually normalize the situation of these "animal prisons", losing the criteria that would allow them to criticize zoos if they saw them for the first time as adults.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:01:22 PM
At 10/17/2015 5:55:55 PM, Otokage wrote:

Not the same, zoos are substainable and do not damage the environment. However, probably little to no zoos have appropiate facilities to give animals a quality life. If the business model of the zoo is to acquire a large facility to breed endangered animals in captivity and then release them in an appropriate natural space, I can be in favor. I think the benefits that people can see these animals live as they grow in captivity (always knowing that the objective is to return them to the wild where they belong), would be very beneficial for society.

This is not the case of nowadays zoos. Most animals either 1) born and die in the zoo, or 2) they are purchased from companies that are dedicated to the capture and illegal animal trafficking (this is especially common in aquatic animals like orcas and dolphins). The animals are kept in small and stressful facilities, and small children, often zoo lovers, gradually normalize the situation of these "animal prisons", losing the criteria that would allow them to criticize zoos if they saw them for the first time as adults.

I am Pro- zoos and I will probably be creating a forum on this very soon. I'll link it in to this thread when I get round to it because I think that you will be good for the discussion.
John Galsworthy
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:10:18 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:01:22 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 10/17/2015 5:55:55 PM, Otokage wrote:

I am Pro- zoos and I will probably be creating a forum on this very soon. I'll link it in to this thread when I get round to it because I think that you will be good for the discussion.

Cool. Looking forward to it :)
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 8:37:41 PM

Cool. Looking forward to it :)

Nice to know that you are interested.
John Galsworthy