Jump to topic:

Should kids be taught morals in school?

iDaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 1:55:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This question stems from me reading some of the other questions on the forums as well as controversial cases such as the scopes trial where kids were being taught evolution that supposedly violated the religious teachings that were being taught before.

While society has always had it's fair share of morals and laws that people must follow, it has always been the duty of the parents to teach the kids morally right from morally wrong, and while this system has never been inefficient in any sense, maybe the system would see some more improvement if morals were to be taught in the school curriculum.

Looking at this suggestion objectively, if a family is messed up, having the school teach the kids morals is a good way to prevent the families messed up way from transferring into the future generation. On the other side, many parents would object to having their child taught by the school. This also blocks some of the cultural values from reaching the child as the teacher would most likely teach every child the same way.
Richard789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 7:10:17 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Good post. i liked it. Without doubt I would tel students should be taught moral in class. Yes it is obvious that parents would teach apart from that schools also must teach moral values. I think it would be better if there is an hour for teaching moral values at least thrice in a week
Best essay writing service
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 5:18:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Considering the path that schools have taken in modern day, I am inclined to say no. The "morality" in which 'education' offers is through a series of punishments, enforcing a mindset of overwhelming obedience and conformity. Submission of rights to the state, dissipation of individuality, imposed group-think via forced assembly, and blind, unquestioning obedience to the authority set before one. Not exactly the institution to be teaching the next generation "morality".
Npierce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:03:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I tend to agree that it is important for many people to teach children morals because without morals society would become corrupt. I also agree that the parents should be the first people to teach their children morals. I understand that you are basically saying that the school is a safety net for children and that they don't get bad ideas from their parents. But I believe that the school system should not be the judges on deciding whether the students parents morals are moral.
claralennon22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 9:09:49 AM
Good post in my thinking student should be taught in home because he and she learn in home and practice in the school http://www.bestassignmenthelp.co.uk... they have practical taught in our life good post I really liked.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:34:57 PM
At 10/15/2015 1:55:18 PM, iDaire wrote:
This question stems from me reading some of the other questions on the forums as well as controversial cases such as the scopes trial where kids were being taught evolution that supposedly violated the religious teachings that were being taught before.

While society has always had it's fair share of morals and laws that people must follow, it has always been the duty of the parents to teach the kids morally right from morally wrong, and while this system has never been inefficient in any sense, maybe the system would see some more improvement if morals were to be taught in the school curriculum.

Looking at this suggestion objectively, if a family is messed up, having the school teach the kids morals is a good way to prevent the families messed up way from transferring into the future generation. On the other side, many parents would object to having their child taught by the school. This also blocks some of the cultural values from reaching the child as the teacher would most likely teach every child the same way.

Schools should teach 'about morals'.
They should teach historical moral codes; how they were derived; differences; common elements; how they benefited individuals, families, societies; the difference between secular and religious moral codes; the difference between moral, immoral and amoral.

As for specific moral imperatives, that is no business of the state.
Parochial schools, different story.
TanzaFights
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:36:51 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I agree with you; if everyone grows up with a similar set of values, then there is a decreased likelihood of clashes of opinion when it comes to 'controversial' issues. Whether or not they will be taught the 'right' thing is debatable.