Jump to topic:

The US Education System is Broken

acapobianco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:19:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Our country is deteriorating and continues to weaken each day! We are weakening because as a first world nation, the United States of America has one of the poorest education systems. We must drastically reform this system to better compete with our rivals who are taking away American jobs! No American wants to see the country lose its positioning as the world"s super power, but as our society"s education system weakens and becomes less affordable, America is becoming the land of the unskilled laborer, and home of the unemployed.
How can we fix our problem? The best way to do so is to substantially increase teacher and professor salaries by roughly 50% in order to draw larger masses of intelligent minds into the profession. Lets face it, does a job that pays forty grand a year attract bright minds who can instill the value and importance of education into young minds? Next, we must make all state and community colleges free to all those who qualify for admission. Now how will we pay for this additional expense? As tax paying citizens and residents we all have an obligation to ensure the success of our future generations, and therefore, all taxable income should be taxed an additional 2% in order to subsidize tuition for all state and community colleges. In addition, there should be another 10% tax on the super wealthy.
The 2% tax on all taxable income is a tax to ensure that everyone is contributing to our country"s prosperity, which will eventually benefit all citizens. Strategically taxing the super wealthy is of utmost importance because our country faces one of the largest wealth inequalities since the late 19th Century. When 75.4% of the nations wealth is in the hands of the top 1%, we have a closer resemblance to Somalia then a first world democratic society. Seriously, how are the top 100 richest Americans each worth over 10 billion dollars or more? Therefore, everyone should pay for America"s future and the super wealth should pay a little extra.
My proposal is bold, but it makes logical sense; improving the education system by attracting better teachers and making education more affordable will have a broad, yet positive impact on our society. Improving this system will lead to better jobs for our citizens, which will then increase tax revenue and reduce our country"s massive deficit. Changing this system must be implemented because our economy has changed and we must all change accordingly. We are no longer a manufacturing economy, but rather a service economy, and the only way to be successful in this sector is to promote an educated middle class
RaulDuke
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 3:19:55 PM
Andrew, well i do agree with what you have to say regarding increasing salaries of teachers drastically, as well as making state college free, you are incorrect with your numbers regarding the infamous "1%". The true data is that only .1% of the top 1% are in that economic level. The other .9% pay the most taxes out of any economic level.

On a second note, there have been multiple times in history as well as multiple studies done by highly respected economists who say just taxing the wealthy will not do anything to fix the economy. I am aware that that is not what you are saying, but by taxing them in order to pay for all the now free tuition will have the same effect as just taxing them in order to "fix the economy". The negative outcome that will happen regardless of the reason when you tax the wealthy is that they will take money out of the donations that they are making. In other words there is a chance that say, hospitals lose major funding because people that donated to them are no longer doing so because they have to pay the higher taxes.

Philip Castrovinci
drouell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 1:15:27 PM
I dont think our teachers have kept up with teaching skills, its not enough to have a degree to teach. All teachers should be required to maintain their teaching skill sets and knowledge. As it seems as though with each generation of kids, seem to do worse in schools and not learn as much. There are many variable factors that play a role with this, that are outside of a teachers "reach" such as parenting, properly raising a child/teen, etc. The more a parent struggles doing their job as a parent, the more difficult it is for a teacher to teach- we all know this typically leads to a poor life for the child- There are more cases of teens/pre-teens struggling with ADD for example, today more then any time in the past- Doctors are linking this to over stimulation of the brain during times when the "winding" down process should active. Video games, cell phones definitely encourage staying up as late as possible, struggling to get up in the mornings, to keeping the eye lids opened during class- Not eating healthy, not getting enough sleep, exercise/activity = dumbing down our kids- Im a parent, Im not as good as I should be and will always feel that way. giving your best is all you can do and that course, is limited to what you know- the more you know and learn, the better you'll be and the better your children's lives will be
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2015 1:57:09 AM
While I entirely agree that the system needs reform, I do not believe your plan is financially stable. However, we could redirect upper administration salaries towards the teachers (since teachers actually work for their money). I personally advocate the model of the Finish education system. While it might cost slightly more financially, I believe the results far outweigh the cost. However, no education is truly free (especially not college); the funding comes strictly from the taxpayers.

Potentially the three greatest reason for declined educational results are:
1. Student stress. (e.g. Early start times, grading system, little breaks, excessive homework, and mindless punishment). I believe these are the number one leading factors in the failure of education.
2. Teacher hiring. While I find that I appreciate the majority of my teachers, it becomes quite obvious when a teacher cannot teach (this occurs frequently).
3. Standardization. Conformity. No creativity. No recognition for individuality. Enough said.
imqaphamn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:14:20 PM
At 11/19/2015 1:57:09 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
While I entirely agree that the system needs reform, I do not believe your plan is financially stable. However, we could redirect upper administration salaries towards the teachers (since teachers actually work for their money). I personally advocate the model of the Finish education system. While it might cost slightly more financially, I believe the results far outweigh the cost. However, no education is truly free (especially not college); the funding comes strictly from the taxpayers.

Potentially the three greatest reason for declined educational results are:
1. Student stress. (e.g. Early start times, grading system, little breaks, excessive homework, and mindless punishment). I believe these are the number one leading factors in the failure of education.
2. Teacher hiring. While I find that I appreciate the majority of my teachers, it becomes quite obvious when a teacher cannot teach (this occurs frequently).
3. Standardization. Conformity. No creativity. No recognition for individuality. Enough said.

I agree with you to some extent.
The reasons you listed out were mainly objective reasons actually. There are subjective reasons to the declining interest in education as well.
US teenagers have everything catered for already and because US provides support for the unemployed, many of them kinda disregard their studying.
I'm an Asian ( and I'm guessing you are one too? ) and we are known to have a very intensive education system ( both positive and negative ). Compared to our curriculum I'd say the Western highschool students have it easier and they are complaining so much about studying to the point that I found it stupid.

Yet I do understand that sometimes, for some reasons, studying can be tedious but oh well, it's for a better future. Maybe it's time students became aware of that and stop complaining all the time.
US needs an educational reform to live up to its name really and I do agree that making educational free is not an effective measure.
lexirstewart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 11:40:18 PM
More often than not teachers are not given nor funded for the opportunity to upgrade their skill level. A teacher is often expected to pay for their own supplies, further teaching, and transportation to and from the college/seminar. If we could raise salaries, maybe we could actually accomplish that. But, with the way our Government budget is, I highly doubt that'll happen any time soon.