Jump to topic:

Affirmative Action in Higher Education

debate4321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:27:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Affirmative action has no place in higher education. Affirmative action is reverse discrimination. The past discrimination against certain minority groups does not justify present discrimination against non-minorities. To admit students to a college based on a racial quota is just wrong. This could be devastating to a student who worked hard to get admitted to a certain college who is now denied a spot because a student who is a minority who has lower grades than the other student is admitted.

Being admitted to college based upon race is not fair to all parties involved. A student who is a minority who is admitted to a college based upon their skin color does not mean that they meet the academic standards needed to do well, compared to their white classmate who was admitted based on merit. This student who was admitted based upon race could struggle with the demanding course load of the university because they are not on the same academic level as their classmates.

One of the biggest examples of how wrong it is to admit students based on race can be seen in the case Gratz vs. Bollinger involving the University of Michigan. Applicants to the university were admitted based upon a 150-point scale were they needed 100 points to be guaranteed admission. Being a minority got you 20 points, while getting a perfect score on your SAT only got you 12 points. Those 20 points could be the difference from someone being accepted and being denied admission.

Of course admission to college should not just be based on GPA and SAT scores, but to base it on race is wrong because we do not choose what race we are. What we can choose is how involved we get in school and how hard we work.
TheStoryteller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 3:26:37 PM
Affirmative action is needed to give those discriminated minorities a chance to receive higher education. Because of the greater probability that these people live at a lower socioeconomic level, they are at a greater risk of not being able to afford education.

How hard someone works does not necessarily correlate with how likely one is to get into college. More often than not, minorities work hard to meet the basic needs of food, heat, ans shelter. If they are so focused on providing support for themselves or their dependents, they will not have time to focus on educational needs.

To your point about struggling after acceptance into school: If a student of any race struggles in class, the school would be willing to offer help for them. Even if the minority student got in via affirmative action, he can still use available academic services, just like a non-minority.

A student who works hard will have another opportunity to get into a different college. For the minority, that college might be one of their limited options.
BluePaul96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 9:33:41 PM
@TheStoryteller
I do agree with you that minorities such as African Americans are less educated and less financially fortunate as a result of them and their ancestors being kept down in this country for so long. But to be giving these students a very significant advantage just on the basis of their skin color is going to do the opposite of helping them. You have to at least agree that the fact that their skin color giving them more points than a perfect SAT score yields as Gina has said before is pretty astoundingly ridiculous. The thing that will help these minorities make their way in this country will definitely not be handing them things that everyone else has to work hard for. What we need to do is to improve the education system as a whole and lower college tuition payments. As a result we'll have more minorities graduating high school and make it less impossible for them to get a college degree.

If any minority group wants to work their way up in the country they have to work their way up the ranks the same way anyone else would. All we can do, and all we should be doing is to make it easier for them to achieve that goal by making schools throughout America better learning environments, and making a college degree a more financially viable option.
ithink-ithink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 10:44:02 PM
My thoughts on this is that anyone, regardless of race, or financial background should be accepted into higher education on the basis of their suitability for the position.

The problem here is that the entrance procedures generally favour those who came from money; in other words, that you have a better knowledge base on entry than others who were not fortunate enough to have the time/money to grow their own knowledge base to this level. The assumption that if you are from a majority demographic that you MUST be advantaged in this way is horrific and yes, prejudiced. And therefore, to change acceptance policies on the basis of demographic is institutionally prejudiced.

So i say, change the entrance criteria. For example;
Have an entrance exam which only tests your knowledge (say, in one paper), but primarily selects on the basis of ability to acquire new knowledge, faster, and more accurately. Or an IQ test which tests on the basis of the skills that would be required for success in your field of study (second paper).
Then, if you tiered the course by year on the basis of knowledge acquired i.e. a course could take 4 years instead of 3 for one candidate because he had the skills to succeed but not the knowledge, so he goes in at year 1, whereas another student goes straight into year 2 because they already have the knowledge basis for entry into year 2, it would mean that people would be selected on the basis of innate ability to succeed in their field.
danyyyy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 6:59:04 PM
Hi this forum site I don"t know about this but I suggest u this site is very good for .net tutorials, we should read this""""""""
[url=http://www.dotnettutorials.tk...] .Net[/url]
ThePenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 5:41:29 PM
This may seem unfair at first. I thought the same way. I am torn in both directions but I am having to side against you. (I may sound racist in the upcoming paragraph, but I assure you it is not intended) It just happens to be that black people tend to have lower income and lower living standards than white people. A lot of these families don't care about education. They make no strive to try and give their child an education. It comes down to gangs and crime to survive in many of the areas that these children grow up in. What this program does is it tries to stop that cycle. It makes sure it can get victims like those an education and eventually break the cycle. I had a friend who grew up in that type of environment. His dad died in a gang battle and his mother didn't care. He got admitted to a college and he turned his life around. Now he owns his own store and is sending his 7 year old daughter to a nice school. Programs like these help bridge the gap between education and prosperity and crime and violence
More people get stoned in the Old Testament than in my jacuzzi
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 4:55:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Affirmative Action is garbage feel good legislation. If you want to fix the Black community, start with the community. Providing special advantage provides no incentive to achieve. We complain that blacks have poor upbring, but a solution that seeks to fix only a symptom is doomed to fail. All I have to say is... ASIANs. Asians were no better off than blacks when they came to the states, yet they achieve more the whites in most "social wellness" categories. Why is that?