Hook

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 12:09:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/28/2010 12:08:12 AM, Loserboi wrote:
What is a example of a good hook? I do not know how to write one or I do not know how to write an interesting one.

Depends on the paper. Quotes can work. Or a statement that makes the reader either go, "WTF? Really?" or "Wait...say what?" Make them think.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 12:11:20 AM
At 9/28/2010 12:09:45 AM, annhasle wrote:
What is a example of a good hook? I do not know how to write one or I do not know how to write an interesting one.

Depends on the paper. Quotes can work. Or a statement that makes the reader either go, "WTF? Really?" or "Wait...say what?" Make them think.

I heard quotes are a big no no... because they can be skewed. My friend told me at the beginning just write "SEX! now that I got your attention."
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 12:17:12 AM
At 9/28/2010 12:11:20 AM, Loserboi wrote:
At 9/28/2010 12:09:45 AM, annhasle wrote:

I heard quotes are a big no no... because they can be skewed. My friend told me at the beginning just write "SEX! now that I got your attention."

Good source = okay. I wouldn't use Wikipedia. Lol

Like... If you were writing about the Border Fence and you started the paper with a quote from the Founding Fathers (on immigration). Grab their attention, ya know? But statistics also work pretty well.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 6:01:46 AM

I remember twisting something to grab their attention. i.e say something casual first and then change it at the very last word.
ex. in an article on 'A visit to water park',
Me and my friends decided to go to XYZ water park, and my parents wanted to know, " ready to have fun in water" (no, we just wanted to get a nice june tan). We were attacked by the same question again after our dramatic return and our answer to the most common sense inducing question was a shamefaced 'no'.

or a quote that is deep, it may be made up, just mention a good enough name.
ex. in a article on drug abuse/addiction i started by:
" ...It's like we are falling headfirst into a deep dark tunnel, at the base of which, death feigns heaven. You do not see the end, just endless darkness. And you know you shouldn't, and that its an empty promise, but still the promise of an unreal life mesmerises you, and you just cannot..."
Ms. Rebecca stautner(a drug addict)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 6:30:20 AM
I like painting pictures as hooks.

"Imagine if you will, a country that..."
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.