Jump to topic:

Student teaching

Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 12:01:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll be doing some unofficial student teaching in a debate class every so often this year. My first day is the 13th of October, and I'll be teaching logical fallacies.

I figured this would be the best site to ask for suggestions. What fallacies should I teach? anything else I should teach? My time window is 1 hour 45 minutes.

I can construct the lesson plan on my own, but I may as well get some valuable contributions from you guys.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 1:41:53 PM
May also add the Toulmin model

any thoughts or contributions at all?
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:29:35 PM
If you want help, you should allow your profile to accept messages, or at least open your "wall" for comments.

I teach both those subjects for AP English Language and Composition. I can give you resources and perhaps copies of materials, if you want.

But I can't help you if you're incommunicado.

Good luck.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 11:31:05 PM
At 9/30/2010 11:29:35 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
If you want help, you should allow your profile to accept messages, or at least open your "wall" for comments.

I teach both those subjects for AP English Language and Composition. I can give you resources and perhaps copies of materials, if you want.

But I can't help you if you're incommunicado.

Good luck.

I think my setting is friends can message/comment. I'll go ahead and change that.

thanks
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 1:46:06 PM
I'd teach them rhetoric first - pathos - ethos - logos. If you've ever done tournaments/conventions, you'd find verbosity and the manipulation of pre-bias supports you best; this is evident on this site and in debates both formal or informal.

However, to answer your question:
from scratch

Start with - What is a fallacy?
Ask them what fallacies(or logical errors) they all ready know.
Group fallacies into two groups formal and informal fallacies. Define the terms.
Ask them to try and group common fallacies(below) into their correct places. Ask for their reasoning whether correct or incorrect, correct them.

Base fallacies
Affirming the consequent
Fallacy of accident
Begging the question
Argument from authority
Argument from ignorance
Argument from the people
Argument to the man

Spot the fallacy exercise - The Noodle's Oration

Hope I helped.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 6:16:40 PM
Yes, those are very helpful contributions. I just want to make sure they get the most important fallacies pounded into their heads. Most kids in my semester of debate 2 years back just forgot about them because they were taught very briefly and not horribly well.

Thanks for the help, Zets. I'll later post a list of all the fallacies that I think I'm going to teach on that given day.
— Harry G. Frankfurt