Jump to topic:

Midterm Teacher Evaluations

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:35:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So today I read Sunday's Doonesbury. It's written by an idiot but on occasion it brings up good points. It described midterm teacher evaluations, in which students rate their teachers from 1 to 10. Essentially this allows students to control what kind of teachers they have, and due to human nature this means that they generally rate rigorous teachers low and teachers that don't make them do a lot high.
Is our system encouraging teachers who don't make their students learn?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 7:20:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/25/2015 4:35:28 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
So today I read Sunday's Doonesbury. It's written by an idiot but on occasion it brings up good points. It described midterm teacher evaluations, in which students rate their teachers from 1 to 10. Essentially this allows students to control what kind of teachers they have, and due to human nature this means that they generally rate rigorous teachers low and teachers that don't make them do a lot high.
Is our system encouraging teachers who don't make their students learn?

That depends. Where I am at University, we can currently grade our lecturers and tutors. While this may be a great activity, the actual question is how many of them actually listen to the feedback. I doubt that it are many. After all, especially teachers have their own teaching style and normally wont really change that.

Besides, I have had some amazing teachers who were extremely demanding, and I have had some others who were lazy and did not expect any performance and the lessons were generally boring and a waste of time...
Personally, I always preferred the teachers were I actually learnt something and who made the learning relevant and enjoyable.

If I would have had to cast votes when I was a student I would have done it in a way reflecting my learning and the teachers effort, grading teachers that are doing their job up, rather than down. You will see this in the midterm evaluations too, the more intelligent students would grade teachers for performance, and the lazy or stupid students for what you proposed. However, a good teacher would get good grades from both those sides, as they would have integrated all students in the learning process, or wouldn't they?