Jump to topic:

Bullying

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:23:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So now that all the gay kids are killing themselves people are finally addressing the problem with school bullying. As schools have started taking measures to discuss this abuse with students (and why homophobia is wrong), conservative parents are complaining that this is simply the Liberals imposing their pro-gay agenda, and that this should be kept out of school. The experts say it's not plausible (or moral) to talk about bullying and mention things that are inappropriate and not include homophobia. Apparently it's okay to say race-bashing is wrong, but saying gay-bashing is wrong is imposing on conservative family values and forcing beliefs onto students. Kenya believe it? What do you think, Repubs? Do you agree? And as a side note, has anyone here ever been bullied?

http://abcnews.go.com...
President of DDO
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:26:16 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:23:48 AM, theLwerd wrote:
So now that all the gay kids are killing themselves people are finally addressing the problem with school bullying. As schools have started taking measures to discuss this abuse with students (and why homophobia is wrong), conservative parents are complaining that this is simply the Liberals imposing their pro-gay agenda, and that this should be kept out of school. The experts say it's not plausible (or moral) to talk about bullying and mention things that are inappropriate and not include homophobia. Apparently it's okay to say race-bashing is wrong, but saying gay-bashing is wrong is imposing on conservative family values and forcing beliefs onto students. Kenya believe it? What do you think, Repubs? Do you agree? And as a side note, has any homosexual here ever been bullied?

Fix'd.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:33:12 AM
I find the whole thing retarded.

Lol I would be kicked out of a school if I had said it there because "retarded" seems to always imply that someone is mentally retarded. And ignorance takes the lead.

- The bible is also pro slavery, you can see this in many passages where it talks about how to treat slaves etc
Slavery should be taught as moral? Those that are against people that speak to people as lesser should be accepted, just because that person -would- have been a slave? I do not follow.

I'm sorry but in a public school you have to follow public guidelines. If you are so homophobic you can't handle your kids dealing with real world, real people, real problems, then YOU pay extra to have them privately schooled, or homeschooled.
I have an idea, get rid of having to accept other religions in public schools. Sadly I do believe muslims may be kicked out soon which angers me. I don't know any that I have ever been to school with but last year mom hd 3 muslim children in her class. 2 of them (seperate families) had lesbian parents fyi.

And yes since I came to this country I have been bullied non-stop.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:35:02 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:26:16 AM, m93samman wrote:
has any homosexual here ever been bullied?

Fix'd.

What does that have to do with anything?
President of DDO
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:38:11 AM
It was mostly girls (ie. b1tches) that gave me sh1t in high school. Since they started dropping out as early as year 9, things got much better towards the end of high school.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
TPF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:47:18 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:33:12 AM, lovelife wrote:

Lol I would be kicked out of a school if I had said it there because "retarded" seems to always imply that someone is mentally retarded. And ignorance takes the lead.

- The bible is also pro slavery, you can see this in many passages where it talks about how to treat slaves etc
Slavery should be taught as moral? Those that are against people that speak to people as lesser should be accepted, just because that person -would- have been a slave? I do not follow.

I'm sorry but in a public school you have to follow public guidelines. If you are so homophobic you can't handle your kids dealing with real world, real people, real problems, then YOU pay extra to have them privately schooled, or homeschooled.
I have an idea, get rid of having to accept other religions in public schools. Sadly I do believe muslims may be kicked out soon which angers me. I don't know any that I have ever been to school with but last year mom hd 3 muslim children in her class. 2 of them (seperate families) had lesbian parents fyi.

Why are you said Muslims would be kicked out of public schools?

Just the other day you wanted to nuke them all.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:19:39 AM
I live in San Francisco we accept everyone... race, gender, gay, and straight. I have never seen bullying of gays in any of the schools i have been to. Only fat kids get bullied... its sad but it's true.

These parents will erase anything their kids learn about homophobia when they get home anyways.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 5:15:07 AM
Apparently it's okay to say race-bashing is wrong, but saying gay-bashing is wrong is imposing on conservative family values and forcing beliefs onto students. Kenya believe it? What do you think, Repubs? Do you agree?:

Kids will always find something to pick on other kids about, be it the way they dress, the way they walk, their sexuality, their introverted nature, their musical tastes, etc. Kids can be very cruel because they cannot understand just how mean they're being. They don't quite have the level of social sophistication just yet to fully appreciate the scope of the damage they are causing.

As for public schools, its always a touchy subject because they are publicly funded. I'm not about to trim fat off the Constitution. Society does a much better job than legislature ever could at changing public perceptions. When the Golden Rule exists (which long predates Christianity), any other rule is redundant.

As a result, high schoolers now or days are about a thousand times more tolerant of homosexuality was when I was in high school. Coming out in my time was not realistic. Kids can do that in this day and age, with or course the occasional exception to the rule.

And as a side note, has anyone here ever been bullied?:

A little bit, but I always stood up for myself. I had the worst case of a Napolean Complex imaginable when I was growing up, because my bone structure was consistently 3 years behind until I got in to high school and finally filled out.

"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 7:52:32 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:47:18 AM, TPF wrote:

Why are you said Muslims would be kicked out of public schools?

Supposed to be religious freedom

Just the other day you wanted to nuke them all.

1) I was not myself that day, but I am back
2) I don't recall saying kill muslims, just the oppressed countires where religion is law.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 9:24:48 AM

Sorry to hear that, but it's probably only because other girls are jealous of you.

By the way, I assumed you were a born and bred American, lovelife, where do you come from originally?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 9:30:16 AM
At 10/8/2010 9:24:48 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Sorry to hear that, but it's probably only because other girls are jealous of you.

Lol everyone made fun of me. I had teenagers beating the sh1t out of me when I was 6.

By the way, I assumed you were a born and bred American, lovelife, where do you come from originally?

I was born in Wyoming but went to Germany when I was young, came to Oklahoma when I was 6. So I guess even tho I'm American, but I always preferred Germany.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 9:43:31 AM
At 10/8/2010 9:30:16 AM, lovelife wrote:

I was born in Wyoming but went to Germany when I was young, came to Oklahoma when I was 6. So I guess even tho I'm American, but I always preferred Germany.

I think you told me that before, now I come to think about it...didn't you live on a US base in Germany?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 10:00:27 AM
At 10/8/2010 9:43:31 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I think you told me that before, now I come to think about it...didn't you live on a US base in Germany?

Yeah. But even so the people were nicer.

Why is that do you think?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 10:13:29 AM
At 10/8/2010 10:00:27 AM, lovelife wrote:

Fond memories of early childhood probably, innocent times and all that...

...but I really like Germany and visit often for pleasure as well as business...I used to work for a big German company in Stuttgart - I was the only Englishman out of 60,000 employees (at least in the management anyway) but they asked me to move to London to set up a UK operation and a week after I arrived I met my (now ex-) wife - I wish now I had stayed in Germany!

It is really a great country though, and once you get to know them, the people are really nice too.
siriously
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 11:25:32 AM
You know...I got bullied constantly until about sophomore year of high school. In elementary school it was because my family didn't have enough money to buy all the newest toys everyone else had, and my clothes were never "cool" . In middle school it was because I me and my friends hated all the cool clothes and cool kids, and we could out smart them. In high school I was bullied by my parents for variety of different things. However, I honestly think there's only so much teachers can do about peer bullying. As a preservice teacher, I now see how teachers survey the halls. You only catch 2 second snippets of conversation, and it's hard to tell whether the kids are joking or not. In the classroom, teachers need to have their backs turned for a least a few minutes every class period to write on a white or smart board. I think that kids just need to be reminded all the time that it will get better, and that the people who are teasing you now are probably going to fail miserably in the future. In my experience, it's pretty true. Also, either everyone needs to be on board, or nobody will follow the rules. Parents, teachers, clergy, administrators, and anyone else that kids come into contact with cannot bully children. That's how they learn it.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 8:53:05 AM
Bullying has been the focal point it is today for the past 4-5 years, at least.

I tend to think the current prevention/intervention trend has more to do with the rise of Myspace and Facebook (and now YouTube), rather than rising homophobia among Americans, as several much-publicized heterosexual students also committed suicide from the mixture of bullying + the Internet through the past few years.

One reason young kids don't need to have heterosexuality mixed into their bullying discussions is because bullying isn't reserved for homosexuals. Counseling/intervention/prevention should start with the act/-ions itself/themselves, not any particular social strand that may be targeted by it.

But unlike homosexuality amongst peers, students at the pre-/grade-school levels have no choice but to deal with various races, ethnic groups, and (non/)religious backgrounds from their first day of school. So if bullying prevention for early grades focuses on these targeted groups, it's reasonable.

Once students get to high school, there are plenty of opportunities to deal with bullying and/or homosexuality issues, including reading/seeing books and plays like Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes and The Laramie Project, etc. High school is also when students truly may start experiencing relationship issues, etc. It's reasonable to reserve the homosexuality targeting element till then.

Don't be hatin'.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 8:59:20 AM
At 10/8/2010 4:19:39 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I live in San Francisco we accept everyone... race, gender, gay, and straight. I have never seen bullying of gays in any of the schools i have been to. Only fat kids get bullied... its sad but it's true.

These parents will erase anything their kids learn about homophobia when they get home anyways.

Do you easily accept conservatives in San Francisco?

This might sound like a snide question, but I'm genuinely curious if you notice any difference there (Michael Savage aside).
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:46:53 AM
At 10/8/2010 10:13:29 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Fond memories of early childhood probably, innocent times and all that...

...but I really like Germany and visit often for pleasure as well as business...I used to work for a big German company in Stuttgart - I was the only Englishman out of 60,000 employees (at least in the management anyway) but they asked me to move to London to set up a UK operation and a week after I arrived I met my (now ex-) wife - I wish now I had stayed in Germany!

It is really a great country though, and once you get to know them, the people are really nice too.

The people are not only amazing, so is the food and culture. GERMANY FTW. <raises beer and shouts, 'PROST'>
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 9:17:40 AM

Ann Frank disagrees.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:15:26 AM
At 10/11/2010 12:44:38 AM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:44:09 AM, Loserboi wrote:
what did they bully you for lovelife?

why did they bully you?

No clue. I'm guessing cause I was different.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:19:23 AM
At 10/11/2010 9:17:40 AM, innomen wrote:

Ann Frank disagrees.

Not anymore.
Germany has grown up since then anyway.

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:30:50 AM
I must admit, it really breaks my heart when I read about girls being bullied at school and, of course, it is an absolute tragedy when they take their own lives as a result.

However, for boys, being bullied is an important part of growing up because they will have to deal with bullying on a daily basis when they leave full-time education and start work.

There's no teacher to turn to in an office, factory or construction site and a man can't run home in tears after work to tell his mommy that some nasty men at the office have been teasing him – or he can, but if she takes him to work the next morning and berates the bullies for picking on her son, his life is going to be made an absolute misery!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:41:02 AM
I think the psychology of why men feel the need to humiliate each other and it's social acceptance absolutely fascinating lol (fyi the complete b!tchiness of women to do the same but in a catty, sneaky way is equally fascinating :P ).
President of DDO
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 4:34:11 PM
At 10/11/2010 10:15:26 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:44:38 AM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:44:09 AM, Loserboi wrote:
what did they bully you for lovelife?

why did they bully you?

No clue. I'm guessing cause I was different.

I don't understand... how were you different?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 4:51:02 AM
Bullying is weakness that is acknowledged as strength to help perpetuate a predatory society.

It is a social infection as poignant as an ulcerated cyst on humanity's forehead.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:56:23 PM
Bullying (physical) ought to be made into a misdemeanor, and the transgressors thrown in jail for a week or two. Verbal, it should be dealt with harshly, I.E. suspension from school.
I miss the old members.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 3:24:04 PM
At 10/20/2010 1:56:23 PM, Atheism wrote:
Bullying (physical) ought to be made into a misdemeanor, and the transgressors thrown in jail for a week or two. Verbal, it should be dealt with harshly, I.E. suspension from school.

That is kinda extreme... going to jail part
Verbal that is too extreme the kids have the right to voice their opinions