lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 7:06:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At school.

What should the policy be?

For me I would say they should be allowed so long as they do not cause distractions, and are not used during tests. I would say only non-talking forms of communication should be allowed, unless the class isn't one that talking is seen as too much of a distraction.

It could become distracting like tapping pencils, but pencils are not banned. The ringer should be set to silent or vibrate, and if a student is unable to do their work with their cell phone it should be taken until the end of class, or end of the day.

Anyone else think differently?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 8:46:14 PM
At 10/16/2010 7:06:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
At school.

For me I would say they should be allowed so long as they do not cause distractions, and are not used during tests. I would say only non-talking forms of communication should be allowed, unless the class isn't one that talking is seen as too much of a distraction.

It could become distracting like tapping pencils, but pencils are not banned. The ringer should be set to silent or vibrate, and if a student is unable to do their work with their cell phone it should be taken until the end of class, or end of the day.

Yes. Cell phones should be off or silent (Vibrate is annoyingly loud for most phones) during class and not to be removed from the student's bag. No communication should be allowed at all during class, including text messaging or sending e-mails.

No communication should be allowed in the hallways during class times. Class transition, before school, and after school should be fine.

Exceptions are emergency situations.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 9:43:33 PM
At 10/16/2010 8:46:14 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At school.

Yes. Cell phones should be off or silent (Vibrate is annoyingly loud for most phones) during class and not to be removed from the student's bag. No communication should be allowed at all during class, including text messaging or sending e-mails.

No communication should be allowed in the hallways during class times. Class transition, before school, and after school should be fine.

Exceptions are emergency situations.

What the fvck? I can't even find any teachers that agree with that. They only take phones in case someone in power walks in and sees people texting.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 9:48:02 PM
At 10/16/2010 9:43:33 PM, lovelife wrote:
What the fvck? I can't even find any teachers that agree with that. They only take phones in case someone in power walks in and sees people texting.

I'm not even remotely concerned with that.

Explain to me why kids need to text during class.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 9:58:03 PM
At school.

The rule is zero use at my childrens school. I didn't have cell phones when I was in school. I did get busted for having a pager though. Damn, that makes me feel very old. And I'm only 33!

I think it is a good rule. There is no need for them period during class or school hours. My daughter turns hers on after the last bell, but other then that it is off and in her locker.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 9:59:43 PM
At 10/16/2010 9:48:02 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Then waht are you concernend about?

Why is it 'better' for kids to go to an on-sight school?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:01:38 PM
At 10/16/2010 9:58:03 PM, jharry wrote:
At school.

The rule is zero use at my childrens school. I didn't have cell phones when I was in school. I did get busted for having a pager though. Damn, that makes me feel very old. And I'm only 33!

I think it is a good rule. There is no need for them period during class or school hours. My daughter turns hers on after the last bell, but other then that it is off and in her locker.

See I don't understand.

My school was the same way, not at lunch, not before school, and teachers got pissy about after school. You aren't allowed to have them at school dances, at all, or any other school activity such as cross country, or other sporting event that is in another town, and could take days.

It is ridiculous.

If kids are apt to use phones in class not letting them would be a bigger distraction than if they jsut did it quietly.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:02:52 PM
I guess my point is cell phones are like the pot to kids. Its a victimless crime, and only affects those that partake of such things, if its done the right way, and even if not, it doesn't harm others too much anyway, not as much as making it "illegal" anyway.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:04:32 PM
At 10/16/2010 9:59:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

I'm not concerned with how popular or stringent a rule is with teachers. I'm concerned with the legitimacy of the rule, why it should be a rule.

Non-sequitor. Are you arguing that kids should be able to use cell-phones at an on-site school or not? You tell me. From the opening post, it seems like you're talking about a traditional public school, so I'm proposing my rules for a traditional public school.

If you have a legitimate explanation as to why my proposed rules are bad, then explain why, don't change the topic to something totally irrelevant.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:06:20 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:01:38 PM, lovelife wrote:
See I don't understand.

My school was the same way, not at lunch, not before school, and teachers got pissy about after school. You aren't allowed to have them at school dances, at all, or any other school activity such as cross country, or other sporting event that is in another town, and could take days.

It is ridiculous.

If kids are apt to use phones in class not letting them would be a bigger distraction than if they jsut did it quietly.

I don't see why you disagree with my proposed rules then. Students are allowed to use the phone anywhere and at any time except in classrooms, in hallways, and during class hours.

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:06:51 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:02:52 PM, lovelife wrote:
I guess my point is cell phones are like the pot to kids. Its a victimless crime, and only affects those that partake of such things, if its done the right way, and even if not, it doesn't harm others too much anyway, not as much as making it "illegal" anyway.

No, it's distracting to the teacher and disruptive to the class. Even when it's on silent. If you ever teach a class and, as you're talking, nobody is making eye contact with you because they're BBM'ing, you'd understand. It's so discouraging. Same goes for laptops. The prof is not saying anything that needs to be written down and yet people are typing away on Facebook, etc...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:08:50 PM

The problem is that you're thinking like a teen and not like an adult. Teens only think in terms of liberty and the self. Adults think in terms of practicality, and the whole.

1. Do you think the parents would approve of their kids using the phone in class instead of paying attention?

2. Do you think that "vibrate" is the same as silent?

3. Do you think that students are the only ones distracted by their cell-phone use? Can you think of someone else in a classroom besides the students who might be distracted?

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:09:32 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:06:51 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
No, it's distracting to the teacher

B-I-N-G-O.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:10:18 PM
The policy should vary by school, as the school owner's wishes dictate. You should in such a context avoid schools with policies you dislike. Everybody wins, except the stupid people, and I don't care.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:10:54 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:08:50 PM, Kleptin wrote:

The problem is that you're thinking like a teen and not like an adult. Teens only think in terms of liberty and the self. Adults think in terms of practicality, and the whole.

1. Do you think the parents would approve of their kids using the phone in class instead of paying attention?

3. Do you think that students are the only ones distracted by their cell-phone use? Can you think of someone else in a classroom besides the students who might be distracted?

Big difference. Teens and adults. I have the same rule for the supper table. No phones. I turn MINE off. That is a time for eating ad enjoying each other, they don't like it sometimes but they will get it when they get older. The same goes for school.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:19:10 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:04:32 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/16/2010 9:59:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

I'm not concerned with how popular or stringent a rule is with teachers. I'm concerned with the legitimacy of the rule, why it should be a rule.

The TEACHERS don't agree with the rules. The ones that get fired if the kids are too distracted or don't learn, they all say kids would learn better if more relaxed and less straight forced one way of learning, in one environment, with no slack on what they get to do.

Non-sequitor. Are you arguing that kids should be able to use cell-phones at an on-site school or not? You tell me. From the opening post, it seems like you're talking about a traditional public school, so I'm proposing my rules for a traditional public school.

Answer the question, and yes, traditional public schools.

If you have a legitimate explanation as to why my proposed rules are bad, then explain why,

I intend to, just answer.

don't change the topic to something totally irrelevant.

Its not irrelevant, you only say that because you know the one and only answer I have ever been told.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:21:00 PM

No, it's distracting to the teacher and disruptive to the class. Even when it's on silent. If you ever teach a class and, as you're talking, nobody is making eye contact with you because they're BBM'ing, you'd understand. It's so discouraging. Same goes for laptops. The prof is not saying anything that needs to be written down and yet people are typing away on Facebook, etc...

I'm talking about the 1 hour of class time, not the 1/2 hour of instruction time.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:24:17 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:19:10 PM, lovelife wrote:
The TEACHERS don't agree with the rules. The ones that get fired if the kids are too distracted or don't learn, they all say kids would learn better if more relaxed and less straight forced one way of learning, in one environment, with no slack on what they get to do.

That has nothing to do with the use of cell-phones.

Answer the question, and yes, traditional public schools.

Make a new thread and I'll answer the question. I don't have to argue against logical fallacies. Your statement doesn't follow, it's a hole in your argument. Either repair the hole (explain why it's relevant) or admit that it belongs in a different topic.

I intend to, just answer.

If we're debating the existence of God, and you ask me to tell you my favorite ice cream flavor, I'll have the same response.

Its not irrelevant, you only say that because you know the one and only answer I have ever been told.

What are you, trying to be cool? Are you planning on having me answer a question, then using that to illustrate some point? If so, then it's a rhetorical question and as such, doesn't need to be answered. If you were intelligent enough, you would be able to illustrate your point in the form of a detailed, logical argument instead of using parlor tricks.

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:25:27 PM

To be in the loop of whats going on in their remote social world
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:26:35 PM
Alright, this is getting ridiculous. I'm running out of patience.

This topic has nothing to do with cell phones. This topic is about whether or not institutional learning is the best form of learning, isn't it? If it is, just say so. I'm getting tired of this sleazy-politician-esque style of presenting an argument.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:27:20 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:25:27 PM, Loserboi wrote:

They can do that when they get out of class, or choose not to go to class.

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:30:45 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:21:00 PM, lovelife wrote:

I'm talking about the 1 hour of class time, not the 1/2 hour of instruction time.

Sorry, I forgot what high school was like :p Well, in that case, the more work you get done in class the less work you have to do at home.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:31:19 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:08:50 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I think like a teen and an adult then.

Maybe maybe not. Sounds like a private problem not one of the school.
One solution is use AT-T (sorry idk if that sign blocks off the rest in a thread)

http://www.wireless.att.com...

Or talk to them about it the same as being distracted by a boy or whatever. If they have problems, then maybe they should ground the teen or something. Its not really the school's job to wipe the @ss of parent's that don't want to do their job.

In most cases it doesn't make much noise, if it becomes dstracting, like pen clicking, then it can be dealt with easily by the teacher,

3. Do you think that students are the only ones distracted by their cell-phone use?

Yes, for the most part.

Can you think of someone else in a classroom besides the students who might be distracted?

No. I had a sub in math a few times that had the exact same rules I set out, and when she was there the kids did MORE work, were happier, and retained more of what they learned that day. My drama teacher had the same rules, and everyone learned their lines, and nobody was even bad at performing, nor were they just playing the whole time, closest may be my group (of 3 me and my 2 closest friends, often paired with the guys with pot to critique us or whatever) and we weren't bad.

However in classes that were more strict about it, the students learned less. The geography teacher had the unanounced rule of "If your a good student and do your work and don't cause problems you can text"
He let me text, but not a few of the others, he let this other guy but asked him once to wait until he was done teaching, and the student agreed and only texted during work time after that.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:32:23 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:27:20 PM, Kleptin wrote:

They can do that when they get out of class, or choose not to go to class.

Well to comment on everything if we are talking about a traditional public school

Choosing not to go to class will warrant a cut-list which excludes kids from dances. Going to the dance a huge social event is an incentive to go to class but not pay attention. Cutting a lot warrants a truancy letter, public schools needs attendance to get money so they keep a careful watch on attendance.

Most kids do not care about their education, they are kids after all the only thing that matters is their social life

Most teachers do not get paid enough to care about a child's education

Getting a high school diploma has become monumentally easy, we lowered the standard to a substantial amount, what used to be taught in 9th grade in the past generations is now being held off till the 11th or 12th like Adv Algebra for example.
Which also adds to another reason why teachers should not care.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:35:57 PM

Now, what is the benefit to on-sight schooling?
Your on the right track.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:36:26 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:35:57 PM, lovelife wrote:

Your on the right track.

What is on-sight schooling?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:42:21 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:30:45 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/16/2010 10:21:00 PM, lovelife wrote:

Sorry, I forgot what high school was like :p Well, in that case, the more work you get done in class the less work you have to do at home.

So personal preferance, right? Why should that be dictated?

Actually I'm getting a bit fed up with no one answering the simple question. Actually its a bit of a process, but I assumed the following but wanted it to be clearified first

1) What is the best way to learn?- On-sight (most popular)
2) What makes it better?- teaches socialization and life skills, such as balancing pros and cons of doing things (like texting in class, doing work now or later, whether or not to go out with someone, what to wear, how to deal with stresses, how to articulate problems better, how to deal with people etc)
3) Answer- Banning cell phones is counter-productive,

I already assumed 1 because we were talking about on-sight, and online is pretty moot since you choose when and how to do everything anyway, and they couldn't stop you from texting if they wanted to.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:42:44 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:31:19 PM, lovelife wrote:
I think like a teen and an adult then.

Yeah, every teen thinks that. Only a fraction of a fraction of a percent actually do, and they usually come from other countries, working afterschool to help supplement the money their immigrant parents make instead of buying the newest model.

Its not really the school's job to wipe the @ss of parent's that don't want to do their job.

You have absolutely no idea how a school is run, do you? The school is run by the parents of the children who attend that school.

In most cases it doesn't make much noise, if it becomes dstracting, like pen clicking, then it can be dealt with easily by the teacher

Why do that when phones should just be switched on SILENT or OFF?

Yes, for the most part.

And that's your problem right there.

No. I had a sub in math a few times that had the exact same rules I set out, and when she was there the kids did MORE work, were happier, and retained more of what they learned that day. My drama teacher had the same rules, and everyone learned their lines, and nobody was even bad at performing, nor were they just playing the whole time, closest may be my group (of 3 me and my 2 closest friends, often paired with the guys with pot to critique us or whatever) and we weren't bad.

1. Substitute teachers tend to teach the easiest material.
2. Drama teachers don't require student to learn too much in class, but I doubt they were texting while in class.

However in classes that were more strict about it, the students learned less. The geography teacher had the unanounced rule of "If your a good student and do your work and don't cause problems you can text"

He let me text, but not a few of the others, he let this other guy but asked him once to wait until he was done teaching, and the student agreed and only texted during work time after that.

In other words, the smart kids are the ones allowed to text and the dumb ones aren't, and you're expecting me to believe that texting makes kids smart and not texting makes kids dumb?

By your logic, shouldn't the teacher be letting the dumb kids text so that they would get smarter?

You have some serious difficulty with statistics, causation, and correlation.

The end result is this: You can't pay attention to the lecture and text at the same time. I don't know how your school works, but lecture went on the whole period for us. There was no gap between the starting bell and the ending bell where the teacher didn't stop talking, except when the teacher asked questions to the class.

In college, the professors are busy people. For me, D. SoandSo comes in, lectures, and leaves. He's doing us a favor by being there, and we pay money for that. If I want to text, I leave the room out of respect for the person up front. I don't sit there and text, because it's disrespectful to the lecturer, and most of them will tell me to leave the class.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:45:15 PM
At 10/16/2010 10:36:26 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/16/2010 10:35:57 PM, lovelife wrote:

Your on the right track.

What is on-sight schooling?

Public/private school that invloves being with other students while in the learning environment (school)
Or just traditional schooling, whatever you wish to call it.