do you believe in...

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 6:27:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/17/2010 5:36:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
There is no such thing as bad students just bad teachers?

Nobody should believe this.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 6:28:21 PM
If the teachers kill the students, yes.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:01:44 PM
At 10/17/2010 6:27:19 PM, Korashk wrote:

Why? it is the teacher's job to educate their children.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:06:18 PM
At 10/17/2010 8:01:44 PM, Loserboi wrote:

And a lot of children are idiots. aren't you recently out of highschool? You should know that a lot of students just don't give a fvck.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:09:29 PM
At 10/17/2010 8:06:18 PM, Korashk wrote:

And a lot of children are idiots. aren't you recently out of highschool? You should know that a lot of students just don't give a fvck.

Yes i know that. But the kids that don't give a fvck are usually dealing with some insecurity that makes them acts up in class. If there are cases where some teachers have been able to motivate these "lost causes" by getting more involved in there education, and eventually making these kids into decent students shouldn't all students be able to become good students, if the teacher puts enough effort into it?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 8:25:18 PM
At 10/17/2010 8:09:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/17/2010 8:06:18 PM, Korashk wrote:

Yes i know that. But the kids that don't give a fvck are usually dealing with some insecurity that makes them acts up in class.

I'm not talking about troublemakers, I'm talking about kids that just don't care about school.

If there are cases where some teachers have been able to motivate these "lost causes" by getting more involved in there education, and eventually making these kids into decent students shouldn't all students be able to become good students, if the teacher puts enough effort into it?

Sure most students have the ability to be decent students, but whether they are or not isn't usually up to the teacher unless they are particularly bad at their jobs.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 9:38:16 PM

No. You can't teach somebody who doesn't want to learn.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:10:39 PM
At 10/17/2010 9:38:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

so you give up? Teachers became teachers because they had a passion for teaching if they didn't they would take their college degrees and do something else. Good teaching methods can get a kid to want to learn.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:22:17 PM

Nah, if a few fail its the fault of the students/parents, if the whole class failes, the teacher is bad. Especially if they stop intigration of knowlege levels in classrooms and make testing based on progress and not standardized.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:22:19 PM
At 10/17/2010 10:10:39 PM, Loserboi wrote:

so you give up? Teachers became teachers because they had a passion for teaching if they didn't they would take their college degrees and do something else. Good teaching methods can get a kid to want to learn.

If there's 30 kids in a classroom, how is it fair to the other students if the teacher is always focusing on that one kid who is disruptive and doesn't care to be there? They can only do so much. But the focus should be on helping the students who care to be there do well and excel.

Of course there are bad students as well as bad teachers. But you can't blame teachers for the students that don't care.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:31:31 PM

My mom is a great teacher for her age group and non-family children, she only teaches ghetto kids in gang filled places, and tends to actually get them motivated to learn, like you suggested. However not being able to doesn't make one a bad teacher, it just means they aren't AS GOOD as a small amount. Its like me and math. I am in 10th grade taking classes some 12th graders haven't taken or are just now taking at college level. However if I compare based on what my 12th grade bf is able to do, and the fact that he does what I struggle with (and close to failing D:) for fun I do feel bad, but I have realized, my ability and whether or not I'm good at something is not based upon what -some- others can do, and I know that if I stop thinking that in order to be good at at something I have to be the best, I will be happy with where I am, however, I am naturally competitive, and its something I'm not able to compete with, no matter how hard I try so it will always be depressing.

That matters (especially bold) because You can be not bad or even good, without being the best, and the evidence is everywhere. GreenDay is a great band, and one of my faves, howevr it would be a bit much to say that they are the best. Same goes for most bands, just find a genre you like and you will find an example.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:35:24 PM
At 10/17/2010 10:22:19 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

If there's 30 kids in a classroom, how is it fair to the other students if the teacher is always focusing on that one kid who is disruptive and doesn't care to be there? They can only do so much. But the focus should be on helping the students who care to be there do well and excel.

Of course there are bad students as well as bad teachers. But you can't blame teachers for the students that don't care.

Exactly. Smaller class sizes, less having an average amount of smart, average, 'dumb', and special needs students in each class, I would love seeing differnt levels of ability seperated. Like have AP kindergarten so to speak. (those that can tell numbers and letters at the beginning of class, but still need to learn a few things or social skills before going on to 1st grade)
and have a class for those that can't really even go potty on their own (non-special needs) and one that needs a special education certified teacher to teach them, without pulling them out of any other class or whatever.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 10:45:58 PM

The teacher can get more involved afterschool (tutoring) lunch there are many options, talk to the parents to help at home, have study sessions. I believe that if some teachers have been able to even reshape and entire class full of kids who did not want to learn than any teacher has that ability. The teacher who do do it gets movies dedicated to them. (freedom writers)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 4:01:28 PM
You can certainly have bad teachers.
They are, after all, human being with human qualities and faults.
I wouldn't say you can't have a bad student though.
There is definately an overwelming number of kids who go to school almost specifically to make the teachers life harder.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 5:58:52 PM
At 10/17/2010 10:45:58 PM, Loserboi wrote:

The teacher can get more involved afterschool (tutoring) lunch there are many options, talk to the parents to help at home, have study sessions. I believe that if some teachers have been able to even reshape and entire class full of kids who did not want to learn than any teacher has that ability. The teacher who do do it gets movies dedicated to them. (freedom writers)

Thats assuming the only responsibilities are the school and the students. As in no family at all. No one that would care if they never came home, and/or spent the whole time at home doing work. And that the teacher's life doesn't matter and is just there to be teacher. And of course "lunch tutoring" thats assuming they don't want to eat. And if they are at school by 6 (before they are able to really eat) and spend morning time helping students, no breakfast. And if they stay after school till around 7 (standard for when teachers stay at school) which means kinda late for dinner too. Unless they never get to eat a home cooked meal, or can't eat until around 9. Your idea of a good teacher is just insane.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 6:34:48 PM
At 10/18/2010 5:58:52 PM, lovelife wrote:

Thats assuming the only responsibilities are the school and the students. As in no family at all. No one that would care if they never came home, and/or spent the whole time at home doing work. And that the teacher's life doesn't matter and is just there to be teacher. And of course "lunch tutoring" thats assuming they don't want to eat. And if they are at school by 6 (before they are able to really eat) and spend morning time helping students, no breakfast. And if they stay after school till around 7 (standard for when teachers stay at school) which means kinda late for dinner too. Unless they never get to eat a home cooked meal, or can't eat until around 9. Your idea of a good teacher is just insane.

I don't eat breakfast or lunch and i eat dinner late like at 8 or 10 its not that hard to do... That is my daily schedule... I wake up early go to school at 8 done at 9 sleep till 11 go to work till 5, or go back to class certain days vary, come home sleep a little, relax a little, eat, study, catch up on hw till 1am, watch netflix till 4am, repeat cycle

You can eat during lunch and study that isn't a possibility? You can't spare 10min to pick up your lunch and go to study with the teacher the rest of the 35? I used to sit down with my history teacher and talk about U.S history for the entire lunch period we still ate and had a good discussion. After school tutoring does exists, most teachers do offer their help after school it is in their job description to help the kid, they are teachers so they obviously want to help the kids. It's not insane it doing their job.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2010 6:38:07 PM
It's not that i do not believe in bad students, I myself am a bad student I have no motivation to learn because i know i can never become a millionaire with my intellect. I just thought this could be an interesting topic to talk about considering i knew a majority of you would feel that bad students exist, I just wanted to read responses to my arguments for there only being bad teachers.