Lincoln Douglas Debate?

4tunatecookie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 2:45:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!
Anyways, I am a varsity Public Forum debater, but my partner quit on me. So I decided to switch to LD. Unfortunately, I was quite good at Public Forum, so I ended up with too many points. This means I can't enter novice events (Congress, LD, PuFo, and Policy). This means I'm going into Varsity LD cold turkey. And the best part is my school has no debate resources (briefs, books, anything that costs money, good coaches, experienced LD debaters, etc.), meaning I'm really on my own here.
What can I do from now until October 30th to prepare for Varsity LD debate? The topic is "The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health not criminal justice." Any and all advice is appreciated!
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 7:56:26 AM
At 10/25/2010 2:45:09 PM, 4tunatecookie wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!
Anyways, I am a varsity Public Forum debater, but my partner quit on me. So I decided to switch to LD. Unfortunately, I was quite good at Public Forum, so I ended up with too many points. This means I can't enter novice events (Congress, LD, PuFo, and Policy). This means I'm going into Varsity LD cold turkey. And the best part is my school has no debate resources (briefs, books, anything that costs money, good coaches, experienced LD debaters, etc.), meaning I'm really on my own here.
What can I do from now until October 30th to prepare for Varsity LD debate? The topic is "The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health not criminal justice." Any and all advice is appreciated!

well, there's using the vast resource of the internet for your research for starters.

And since you have an account on this website, challenge like 5 of this websites members to a debate on that exact same resolution for practice. you could pick your 5 or 6 opponents based on percentile ranking, or for there known differences in debate style. you could make your various debates on the same topic different by giving different debate settings like smaller character limits for some of them so you just hit what are the core points of the topic that you cant just drop in the debate and some with high character limits so you have space to go of on tangents for any point that could come up in the debate.
If you already know your side, challenge only people who tend to take the opposite side of the issue, if you don't make sure you get to try out either side on this site for practice.

If if might recommend how you go about determining your different opponents to practice on if you try to get different styles of debating, choose opponents who spend most there time in a particular forum section. someone who frequents the health forum section will likely give more of a health focus to the debate. someone who only frequents the politics or religious section might give focus to the justice side of the debate, if they frequent the religious and the society sections they would likely give a social focus in there arguments.

I would help you out by being one of your opponents to practice on, but I am not experienced with Lincoln Douglas debates.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Stihl_Soldier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 9:19:27 PM
I'm in my novice year of debate, but am one of the better students in my class. My school is ranked 41rst in the nation. I also just happen to be in Licoln/Douglas debate. I'm getting ready to go to a tournament and would be happy to debate you in a round with the resolution " The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health, not of criminal justice". If you are interested I'll be checking back in a day or two. Please let me know, I would very greatful to practice against a varsity student, even if you were in PuFo.
4tunatecookie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 5:09:24 PM
Thank you, Marauder and Stihl_Soldier. I appreciate your suggestions!
Unfortunately since I do not always have Internet access, online debates are inconvenient for me to say the least (since they have a time limit for posting arguments).

Stihl_Soldier, I'm not sure how much help this'll be, but if you would like to discuss the November/December topic with me through a message, that'd be great! Due to your privacy settings (I'm assuming), I can't message you though.