Jump to topic:

Naturalists dilemma.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 7:26:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Love and the laws of logic are non physical yet naturalists believe that anything that isn't physical, cannot exist.

So lets start with love, if naturalism is true, then love can only be chemical reactions. There doesn't seem to be a problem with that though. I personally believe that secular love is psychological. Love comes from physical appearance only, and love is based around that only. It isn't that deep, yet it is sincere. For the Bible says God is love, and if you do not know God, you don't know love. Love is not really love, but rather chemically sorted.

Laws of logic, you can't sense them, therefore they do not exist according to a naturalist. They aren't physical, but who would deny them? Like I mean, you can't look inside a law of logic, just like morality they have to be chemical reactions, and therefore subjective. My laws of logic are perhaps slightly different to yours. Who decides who's laws of logic are right in this case?

For example; someone might say, "The Bible is wrong because it has many contradictions in it." Well firstly I would say otherwise, that the Bible has no contradictions and then I would say, "In your world view, why are contradictions a bad or incorrect thing?" They are wrong and incorrect in the Christian world view because God cannot deny Himself, what's your reason?

So back to naturalism, if things that aren't physical cannot exist, like morality, in a utilitarian view perspective, why are the laws of logic seemingly universal and absolute, unlike secular morality?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:25:22 PM
At 10/25/2010 7:26:34 PM, GodSands wrote:
Love and the laws of logic are non physical

Love is physical.

So lets start with love, if naturalism is true, then love can only be chemical reactions.

Yes.

I personally believe that secular love is psychological.

Depends on what you mean. Love is physical in that it involves chemistry. Love is psychological in that the chemistry occurs in the brain.

Love comes from physical appearance only, and love is based around that only. It isn't that deep, yet it is sincere. For the Bible says God is love, and if you do not know God, you don't know love. Love is not really love, but rather chemically sorted.

You're using God in a proof against naturalism. Do you understand why this makes no sense?

Laws of logic, you can't sense them

Unless you happen to have a functioning brain. How hard is it to physically experience that things are what they are, and that they aren't what they aren't?

therefore they do not exist according to a naturalist. They aren't physical, but who would deny them? Like I mean, you can't look inside a law of logic, just like morality they have to be chemical reactions, and therefore subjective. My laws of logic are perhaps slightly different to yours. Who decides who's laws of logic are right in this case?

You've been saying this ever since you came here and you have been wrong for the same amount of time. The answer is that you fail at logic. Perhaps you have common sense, perhaps you have intelligence, but you fail at logic.

For example; someone might say, "The Bible is wrong because it has many contradictions in it." Well firstly I would say otherwise, that the Bible has no contradictions and then I would say, "In your world view, why are contradictions a bad or incorrect thing?" They are wrong and incorrect in the Christian world view because God cannot deny Himself, what's your reason?

Valid point. Logic has no place in religion to begin with. One does not know God by thinking it out. One knows God by opening up to Him and finding faith.

So back to naturalism, if things that aren't physical cannot exist, like morality, in a utilitarian view perspective, why are the laws of logic seemingly universal and absolute, unlike secular morality?

Because the laws of logic are derived from the process of thinking, which is physical, and the interaction between thinking, physical beings and a natural universe.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
cedermark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 10:18:00 AM
At 10/25/2010 7:26:34 PM, GodSands wrote:
Love and the laws of logic are non physical yet naturalists believe that anything that isn't physical, cannot exist.

So lets start with love, if naturalism is true, then love can only be chemical reactions. There doesn't seem to be a problem with that though. I personally believe that secular love is psychological. Love comes from physical appearance only, and love is based around that only. It isn't that deep, yet it is sincere. For the Bible says God is love, and if you do not know God, you don't know love. Love is not really love, but rather chemically sorted.

Laws of logic, you can't sense them, therefore they do not exist according to a naturalist. They aren't physical, but who would deny them? Like I mean, you can't look inside a law of logic, just like morality they have to be chemical reactions, and therefore subjective. My laws of logic are perhaps slightly different to yours. Who decides who's laws of logic are right in this case?

WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS QUESTION AT ALL? (Most interesting)

The question your asking hardly makes sense to ask a naturalist. Surely a Naturalist cannot answer unless he or she "disobey" the laws of Naturalism ;-)
However your doubting attitude (implied in the word seemingly) is highly appreciated I'm sure.

HOW can People deny supernaturality? probably lack of Imagination!! (Does that make sense to claim?)

HAPPY X-mas