Jump to topic:

Minor in College

tepes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 7:19:30 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
There's an abundance of useless articles about how a minor could or could not benefit you. Just curious about what everyone's thoughts are on it (even if you are not currently in college). Personally, it was a frustrating process of picking a minor that would fit into my schedule and not get in the way of my major.

Give me your thoughts. They can't be any worse than content farming articles.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 1:40:10 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 7:19:30 PM, tepes wrote:
There's an abundance of useless articles about how a minor could or could not benefit you. Just curious about what everyone's thoughts are on it (even if you are not currently in college). Personally, it was a frustrating process of picking a minor that would fit into my schedule and not get in the way of my major.

Give me your thoughts. They can't be any worse than content farming articles.

I think it's basically not helpful in any sort of way. But! this does not mean you shouldn't get one. Say you really want to study philosophy, but you know that's not the career you want - so you get a major in something completely unrelated. There's no detriment to adding on the philosophy minor, so long as you don't mind busy semesters and/or summer classes. Honestly, in many careers, it's not so much the degree you have that matters, but how you sell it. I have an AS in General Studies (originally my plan was to transfer to a university and get a bachelor's, but whatever, that's not relevant). You'd think this would be totally useless, right? Nope. My job requires at least an associate's degree, and it's preferred that it's in a scientific/ medical field. So I talked up my science coursework and emphasized how my diverse classes meant I could look at a problem from many different angles, and the interviewer loved it. Unless you're trying to get a very specific job, the specifics of your degree don't matter much. Just get one and do well.