Jump to topic:

Homeschool vs. Public School

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 9:22:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
This is a topic that has always interested me. I like to hear more thoughts on what type of schooling you believe is more sufficient, or where you would place your child.

Personally, I believe homeschooling is a horrible idea. There is no social-interactions with other kids. Kids need to simply learn proper communication skills to prep them for the real world, and the workplace. Not only that, but not all parents are fully equitable to teach their children certain subjects.

Pros of Public School:
"Learning within a group setting
"Extra-curricular activity availability
"More curriculum opportunities
"Diverse social education

Cons of Public School:
"High student-teacher ratio
"Less independence (scheduled learning)
"School chooses curriculum
"Peers based on area instead of choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose curriculum
"Free to choose schedule
"Small teacher to student ratio
"Teaches students to be independent in their learning choices

Cons of Home School
"Usually more expensive than public school
"Teachers are not always qualified to teach all subjects
"It"s harder to provide social interaction
"Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:43:07 PM
Another thing to note is that the policies that are enforced/exist for homeschooling are much laxer than public schooling, making it so that someone that is in 12th grade in homsechooling might only be as advanced as an 8th or 9th grader in public.

Furthermore, when the parent has certain biases they can teach the kid(s) in a way that is actually detrimental to learning.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:49:18 PM
It depends on how well a parent can teach.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:09:19 AM
At 2/3/2016 11:43:07 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Another thing to note is that the policies that are enforced/exist for homeschooling are much laxer than public schooling, making it so that someone that is in 12th grade in homsechooling might only be as advanced as an 8th or 9th grader in public.

Or vice versa. I was homeschooled until the 8th Grade, but I had already taken college-level classes at home. And my mom didn't really teach me anyway; I had to learn for myself.

Furthermore, when the parent has certain biases they can teach the kid(s) in a way that is actually detrimental to learning.

This is true, although there is also great bias in the public schools as well. This bias comes from the students rather than the teachers, though.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:10:52 AM
At 2/3/2016 11:49:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

My mother didn't do so hot at teaching. I had to do my work on my own, but I excel in public school because of what I taught myself. The ability for a parent to teach does not always have an effect on the outcome of a student's intelligence.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:15:40 AM
At 2/4/2016 12:10:52 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

My mother didn't do so hot at teaching. I had to do my work on my own, but I excel in public school because of what I taught myself. The ability for a parent to teach does not always have an effect on the outcome of a student's intelligence.

No, but it would be better if the parent had a clue at what they're doing.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:16:44 AM
At 2/4/2016 12:15:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

True. My mother was and still is an idiot.
Suh dude

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:17:23 AM
At 2/4/2016 12:16:44 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/4/2016 12:15:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

True. My mother was and still is an idiot.

Ok then.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:21:56 AM

Whats your opinion on the social aspect?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:41:18 AM
At 2/4/2016 12:21:56 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Whats your opinion on the social aspect?

Meh. It doesn't concern me unless, again, the parent is incompetent.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 4:51:25 AM
At 2/3/2016 9:22:38 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Personally I prefer public school, though admittedly I don't have firsthand experience with homeschooling. I do tend to think that learning to work together with peers is an important part of schooling that applies to the workplace as well. As for the actual learning, I agree with some people who've said that it depends on the parents' ability to teach. With capable parents, homeschooling could probably be pretty powerful given the undivided attention that the child receives.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 12:21:08 AM

^^^This
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 3:26:43 PM
I prefer public or private school mostly, but I think it is totally fine for there to be homeschooling.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 3:28:14 PM

Homeschool does not mean you get teached by your mom. It just means that they do not get teached at school, meaning they can have tutors and go to academies.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Rosalie_S
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:38:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
This is a topic that has always interested me. I like to hear more thoughts on what type of schooling you believe is more sufficient, or where you would place your child.

Personally, I believe homeschooling is a horrible idea. There is no social-interactions with other kids. Kids need to simply learn proper communication skills to prep them for the real world, and the workplace. Not only that, but not all parents are fully equitable to teach their children certain subjects.

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School
"Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students.

I absolutely agree with you! Public School is a place where kids learn how to overcome social barriers. It is a small world which prepares children to cope with life. At the same time, it is more effective to study in groups, because children have an opportunity to share their ideas and thoughts.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:59:10 AM

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School

Yes I agree. Going to school is a crucial part of growing up for children. Yes potentially homeschooling can provide better education but it means the child being home schooled loses out on vital social interaction, friendships and learning how to work in groups and share resources. I think home schooling should be strongly discouraged.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
cam25aus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:48:21 PM
Homeschooling doesn't give lots of friends in school. You just have family. And public schooling doesn't allow you to be with your family.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 4:38:30 AM
I feel like I've answered this already, but public school.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 4:38:48 AM
Lol, I did.
Suh dude

TRap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 6:27:05 AM

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School

You are very poor writer.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 6:30:00 AM
At 3/6/2016 6:27:05 AM, TRap wrote:

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School

Look who's talking.

I think you meant to say-- * You are a very poor writer.

TRap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 8:25:36 AM
At 3/6/2016 6:30:00 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/6/2016 6:27:05 AM, TRap wrote:

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School

Look who's talking.

I think you meant to say-- * You are a very poor writer.

Now that's self - realization.
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 11:43:50 AM

Pros of Public School:

Cons of Public School:

Pros of Home School

"Free to choose schedule

Cons of Home School

I'm a homeschooler, and I disagree with three of your Cons.

"It's harder to provide social interaction."
Actually, parents can do this by extra-curricular activities, and they'll meet children with the same interest and talent.

""Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students. "
In the Philippines, when you say homeschooler, it means that he is unique from other students when it comes to intelligence. He is sometimes referred to as 'weird' because of his wide knowledge, and tell me, there are a lot of weirdos in college.

"Teachers are not always qualified to teach all subjects"
Parents hire tutors for their children. And those tutors are being approved first by the school before allowing them to teach the homeschoolers, even if they come from prestigious institutions. In my case, it is my mom who teaches me, and I always place Top 1 among other kids.

I only agree that it is more expensive due to the fact of extra-curricular activities, various family field trips, etc.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
truthfinder1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:15:56 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
In public schools at this time there are a lot of aggressive and antisocial children. Sadly, most of them are from families with a low income.

If I had a choice, which school to choose for my kid, I would choose a private school or homeschooling.

I know about a few examples of successful homeschooling by moms, who have 6-7 children. It's like a mini-class. But each child needs a special approach and treatment, because of their age difference.
21MolonLabe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 3:44:31 PM

Not necessarily true in all cases. When I was homeschooled, I still had social interaction with other kids. I will agree that there is less opportunity for social interaction, but there is still plenty opportunity nonetheless. And my mother, who was supposed to teaching me, taught me nothing at all beyond basic pre-school stuff, but I tested at post-high school scores on standardized testing in 7th grade.
Debestdebater20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:19:50 PM
Public schools are better than homes schools
Because:

1. In Public schools you have an opportunity to socially interact with other people which develops communication skills and it increases your social skills.
2. In public schools you are taught by proper-qualified teachers who know what they are doing (no-offense) and understands how to teach while at most home schools which may be taught by parents, depending on their job may not have teaching experience.
3. Home schools will encourage people to be socially isolated which is bad
4. Public school gives a proper education to people, good amount of hours to learn, good quality work etc
CharlieBlue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:54:54 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm a homeschooler, and I disagree with three of your Cons.

"It's harder to provide social interaction."
Actually, parents can do this by extra-curricular activities, and they'll meet children with the same interest and talent.

""Colleges sometimes have stricter admission policies concerning homeschooled students. "
In the Philippines, when you say homeschooler, it means that he is unique from other students when it comes to intelligence. He is sometimes referred to as 'weird' because of his wide knowledge, and tell me, there are a lot of weirdos in college.

"Teachers are not always qualified to teach all subjects"
Parents hire tutors for their children. And those tutors are being approved first by the school before allowing them to teach the homeschoolers, even if they come from prestigious institutions. In my case, it is my mom who teaches me, and I always place Top 1 among other kids.

I only agree that it is more expensive due to the fact of extra-curricular activities, various family field trips, etc.

My nephews are home schooled, and they are doing fine but it's only possible because my brother in law earns enough for her to not have to work and do all those extra curricular things, go on trips, buy supplies etc so it feels like it's almost another form of private education, only available to a certain group of privileged kids.
This bit worries me too..." they'll meet children with the same interest and talent." It seems that these children only mix with children from similar backgrounds, and I'm not sure how healthy that is, this is the only social interaction part that I worry about. I know hoomeschooled kids mix with a lot of other kids but it's a very narrow group and i can't help feeling it's very elitist.
I will stand by my sister for her choices, but I do have concerns.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 1:45:47 AM
At 4/8/2016 1:19:50 PM, Debestdebater20 wrote:
1. In Public schools you have an opportunity to socially interact with other people which develops communication skills and it increases your social skills.
Not being forced to be around others != no opportunity to socialize

2. In public schools you are taught by proper-qualified teachers
With likely below-average IQs

who know what they are doing (no-offense) and understands how to teach
Which is why three out of four community college freshmen need remedial education in reading and mathematics.

3. Home schools will encourage people to be socially isolated which is bad
Not really. Nothing's preventing you from, say, joining a social club or whatever.

4. Public school gives a proper education to people, good amount of hours to learn, good quality work etc
No, no, and no.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
sketchb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 1:12:53 AM
I've always been home-schooled, but I also go to a supplemental school. I love the aspects of both, as I get all the pros of both.
sketchb