Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

How does one memorize things

vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:27:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not sure if things like these are allowed to be posted but I'll ask anyway.

Any tips or methods? Personal experience would help!
examples:New words (English and foreign language) and equations (Found in Science and Maths) and etcetera.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:29:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:27:34 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
I'm not sure if things like these are allowed to be posted but I'll ask anyway.

A moderator is probably going to ban you from the site for this post. They aren't allowed; if you can remove it, you probably should. This is a direct violation of DDO terms&conditions.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:30:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Repetition is the best way to memorize something..
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:31:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:27:34 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
I'm not sure if things like these are allowed to be posted but I'll ask anyway.

Any tips or methods? Personal experience would help!
examples:New words (English and foreign language) and equations (Found in Science and Maths) and etcetera.

Yes. I've done a fair bit of research on the subject as part of learning about Mentalism. This is a good book...
http://www.yudu.com...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:35:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:30:46 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Repetition is the best way to memorize something..

Actually, it isn't. Visualisation is the best way. For example, to memorise a packet of cards you map out a route that you've taken a thousand times (your house to school for example) and pick 52 landmarks. Then, you assign each card a person and an action. (For example, King of Hearts could be Casanova doing a handstand). Then, for example, the KH is the 5th card in the order. You visual Casanova doing a handstand at the milkbar around the corner from your house.
This is how magicians can memorise a deck of cards.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 4:59:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:35:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/3/2010 4:30:46 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Repetition is the best way to memorize something..

Actually, it isn't. Visualisation is the best way. For example, to memorise a packet of cards you map out a route that you've taken a thousand times (your house to school for example) and pick 52 landmarks. Then, you assign each card a person and an action. (For example, King of Hearts could be Casanova doing a handstand). Then, for example, the KH is the 5th card in the order. You visual Casanova doing a handstand at the milkbar around the corner from your house.
This is how magicians can memorise a deck of cards.

Wait a moment according to m93samman I'm not allowed to make these kind of posts.Is he lying or should I delete this?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 5:12:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:59:43 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 11/3/2010 4:35:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/3/2010 4:30:46 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Repetition is the best way to memorize something..

Actually, it isn't. Visualisation is the best way. For example, to memorise a packet of cards you map out a route that you've taken a thousand times (your house to school for example) and pick 52 landmarks. Then, you assign each card a person and an action. (For example, King of Hearts could be Casanova doing a handstand). Then, for example, the KH is the 5th card in the order. You visual Casanova doing a handstand at the milkbar around the corner from your house.
This is how magicians can memorise a deck of cards.

Wait a moment according to m93samman I'm not allowed to make these kind of posts.Is he lying or should I delete this?

He's messing with you. There is nothing wrong with your post.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 5:16:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm kidding. But I was hoping someone would play the joke with me. Didn't work :/ shucks.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 6:43:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 4:35:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 11/3/2010 4:30:46 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Repetition is the best way to memorize something..

Actually, it isn't. Visualisation is the best way. For example, to memorise a packet of cards you map out a route that you've taken a thousand times (your house to school for example) and pick 52 landmarks. Then, you assign each card a person and an action. (For example, King of Hearts could be Casanova doing a handstand). Then, for example, the KH is the 5th card in the order. You visual Casanova doing a handstand at the milkbar around the corner from your house.
This is how magicians can memorise a deck of cards.

I was being extremely general. However the big flaw you made in saying visualisation is the best way to learn only pertains to certain people. Just like learning, there are different kinds. You are right in that, most of the population is visual, however people like me are audible learners, meaning we learn better by hearing.

Now, for your example, would it not require repetition to memorise this? lol
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 7:01:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Memories are neurological networks made from bits from information associated with one another. Memories are strengthened with the repeated use of the same neurological pathways. This is why it becomes increasingly difficult to learn new things as we age, if you're not careful.

Given these facts, repetition could conceivably work, but only if your mind automatically associates what you're trying to memorize with the context in which you're attempting to memorize it. In other words, if you study a foreign language by repeating a word and its definition to yourself over and over (writing it, recording it, chanting it, flash cards, etc.), then you're simply establishing a bilateral connection:

x language = y word = z definition

This would most likely result in a possible definition upon word recognition, but utilizing it in actual conversation probably won't happen unless you have some sort of special talent, like a photographic memory, that would allow you to just summon bits of information at will.

Therefore, the best way to learn something would be to study it in context--in other words, to establish a neurological network and then follow that pathway naturally. This is why a foreign language is learned best by speaking it--you naturally follow the path from deciding which word to use, choosing a particular word, and integrating it within a statement. Eventually, those pathways become networks of entire conversations to which you can continuously add words and far more easily.

I can see how visualizing something can help to establish a faux pathway based on a preexisting, well-established network, i.e., navigation throughout your neighborhood.

So, I guess, the best thing to do is come up with what works best for you based on this premise. Some people are bad with directions, so that visualization explanation wouldn't work for them. However, some people absorb information easily when they see it written. Therefore, a good way to memorize something would likely be to write outlines, tree diagrams, or force themselves to work through something by hand. Verbal people could contrive rhymes or talk their way through things.

Etc.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 7:33:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/3/2010 6:43:19 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Now, for your example, would it not require repetition to memorise this? lol

Damn it. You're right.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 8:13:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Memorization is dependent on how the individual learns. There is no one strategy, it's what works best for you.

Since memory is basically the construction of new linkages between neurons, and new pathways for thought, the best way to memorize is actually to build on existing memories.

Visualization, as was mentioned, is one version of that. You connect new things with pre-existing memories. Same as repetition, you are forcing new connections.

Personally, I like to use mneumonic devices. Here's an example:

The brand name drug "Elavil" has a generic name, "Amitriptyline". I memorize them because "Elavil" sounds like "Elevate (get high!)". "Amitriptyline" sounds like "Am I trippin'?" You start trippin' when you get high :D
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.