Jump to topic:

Meaning of this word

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 6:52:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"hypothetical' I checked this words using dictionary.com and I saw few examples but I still don't understand how this word should be used.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:02:28 AM
hypothetically, if you didn't post in this forum... you could go your whole life without Ever learning the meaning of that word.

IN FACT, hypothetically, you still could! 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:04:50 AM
At 11/6/2010 7:02:28 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
hypothetically, if you didn't post in this forum... you could go your whole life without Ever learning the meaning of that word.

I still dont get it
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:16:56 AM
At 11/6/2010 7:04:50 AM, vardas0antras wrote:

I still dont get it

it's used to describe a suggested Possible state of affairs... but one which doesn't really have strong evidence for being the case..

one which Could be/ Fits the scenario... but doesn't seem particularly likely.

A possible scenario... But Not a particularly likely one.

so... Hypothetically, you could never quite get the meaning of the word.. but really no particular reason to say that you won't.. in fact, it seems likely that you will.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:08:25 AM
At 11/6/2010 7:16:56 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I still dont get it

it's used to describe a suggested Possible state of affairs... but one which doesn't really have strong evidence for being the case..

so... Hypothetically, you could never quite get the meaning of the word.. but really no particular reason to say that you won't.. in fact, it seems likely that you will.

So is this word the name of an unlikely scenario and a description of an unlikely scenario?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:15:47 AM
At 11/6/2010 9:08:25 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 11/6/2010 7:16:56 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I still dont get it

So is this word the name of an unlikely scenario and a description of an unlikely scenario?

It's when you want a result, or to solve a dilemna, of a made up scenario that would be unlikely to happen.

For example,
Let's say I hypothetically stabbed someone in the chest last night. Let's say I hypothetically watched him die and laughed. Let's say I hypothetically left his body in my room in my closet, and let's say its hypothetic starting to smell. What's the best way to dispose of the body.

Say I gave you a 'made up' scenario, and I want to dispose of the body.

But seriously what's the best way to dispose of the body?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:22:27 AM
A hypothetical statement is an example or scenario meant to illustrate something that does not necessarily exist for the sake of an argument.

For example, to explain pain, someone could say:

Let's say that hypothetically, I slapped you three times. How would you react?

Your answer would be pursuant to illustrating a point.