Jump to topic:

How diverse are schools?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 3:18:14 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Check out these diagrams showing school diversity in terms of school faculty...
http://chronicle.com...

...and students.
http://chronicle.com...

I don't think anyone visits this forum, so I'll just leave these here. If you are interested in a discussion, how diverse was your schooling?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 4:06:20 PM
Well I live in England, more specifically Harrow and Harrow's one of the most ethnically diverse places in the world, so it's fine for me. But I can't say the same for the US or the rest of the UK.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 4:47:41 PM
At 2/29/2016 4:06:20 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Well I live in England, more specifically Harrow and Harrow's one of the most ethnically diverse places in the world, so it's fine for me. But I can't say the same for the US or the rest of the UK.

Interesting. What is considered ethnically diverse in your area?
- lamerde

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 4:51:58 PM
At 2/29/2016 4:47:41 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Around 70% of Harrow are not white British. I think that there are more people of Indian origin in Harrow than there are of British origin. We also have the highest amount of followers of Jainism nationally.
John Galsworthy
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 5:03:37 PM
At 2/29/2016 4:51:58 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Around 70% of Harrow are not white British. I think that there are more people of Indian origin in Harrow than there are of British origin. We also have the highest amount of followers of Jainism nationally.

That sounds like some areas of Canada I've visited. Is that kind of distribution unusual in England?
- lamerde

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 5:05:35 PM
At 2/29/2016 5:03:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/29/2016 4:51:58 PM, famousdebater wrote:

That sounds like some areas of Canada I've visited. Is that kind of distribution unusual in England?

Yes, most areas predominantly consist of white British people, even if it's just by a small amount. To get such a small white British population is quite unusual (though it is becoming more and more acceptable as immigration increases).
John Galsworthy
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 2:27:55 AM
Regarding most countries, it's something that's largely dependant on the area. Cities and other more populated areas are naturally more likely to have a greater level of diversity in schools, for both students and professors. I've been to city and smaller village schools in two different European countries and there were some notable differences.

However, it also depends on what you define as 'diversity'; as you can still have International students/ones with different backgrounds from the country that they're studying in--that aren't categorised as ethnic or religious minorities. During my time in primary and secondary (school) education I encountered numerous different nationalities. In Spain, there's a reasonable percentage of Morrocan and Colombian students in average state schools. And you get other Europeans in the more touristy/affluent areas. At one school I was amongst German, Dutch, British, French, Belgian, Norwegian, and Russian kids.

The one thing I noted is that in the U.K, there's a higher level of black students and most certainly Asian ones.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'