Jump to topic:

Short Stories

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2010 10:56:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So I decided to start writing short stories as a hobby (Its fun and it should help me in school) however I don't know how...

Any tips, advice or examples found online would be greatly appreciated.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2010 8:22:26 PM
At 11/15/2010 10:56:12 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
So I decided to start writing short stories as a hobby (Its fun and it should help me in school) however I don't know how...

Any tips, advice or examples found online would be greatly appreciated.

Example:

There once was a boy named vardas0antras, who needed help writing short stories. Bluesteel came along and showed him how. He was forevermore a great writer. The end.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:09:22 PM
Advice:

1) Write from personal experience - use things that happened to you as plot, people you know as characters, and places you've been as settings. You can tweak many details of course and change names.

2) Use a hook in the beginning. Make sure to capture the readers' attention.

3) Make sure to have a climax near the middle/end.

4) Send your best pieces to publishing houses. You could be the next Chris Paolini (high school author of Eragon).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ruelariat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 10:45:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For me I just write complete nonsense then go back and fix the messed up sh!t and ask for help from my friends. Then post it online at fictionpress.com (or fanfiction.net depending on the story) to get more advice and critiques.
I find it funny how short stories and stories in general have such a specific form in how the story is told since stories, especially fictional ones, are supposed to be creative. But that's just me. I don't take anything I do seriously so my advice is worth crap.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:27:12 PM
At 11/27/2010 5:09:22 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Advice:

1) Write from personal experience - use things that happened to you as plot, people you know as characters, and places you've been as settings. You can tweak many details of course and change names.

I'd actually have to disagree with this.

I mean, sure, write what you know, and you should certainly use details you've noticed from your real life. But all too often, I've seen writers replicate entire stories and scenes from their lives.

On top of being creatively lazy, it often makes the writing melodramatic, because we all think our real life experiences are more profound than they really are, and it's hard to distance yourself from yourself.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:50:46 PM
It has to be bizarre as shitt and have multiple interpretations.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos