Jump to topic:

Why Does Society Hate Teachers?

Madlax6416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:57:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
This is a genuine question. You can respond in your own experience or any research you've read, but why are teachers so undervalued in this day and age? No one wants to do the job, but everyone seems to jump at the chance to criticize teachers for everything, including things that aren't in their control from the district and state curriculum and standardized tests to out of control student behaviors. I see several people, including nurses, war veterans, stay at home moms, and servers receive a ton of support, but teachers, the ones in charge of preparing people for every profession, don't hardly seem to get any. Why?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:04:41 AM
At 4/8/2016 1:57:43 PM, Madlax6416 wrote:
This is a genuine question. You can respond in your own experience or any research you've read, but why are teachers so undervalued in this day and age? No one wants to do the job, but everyone seems to jump at the chance to criticize teachers for everything, including things that aren't in their control from the district and state curriculum and standardized tests to out of control student behaviors. I see several people, including nurses, war veterans, stay at home moms, and servers receive a ton of support, but teachers, the ones in charge of preparing people for every profession, don't hardly seem to get any. Why?

Because people internalize any criticism or shortcoming of their children.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 2:04:59 PM
I found a Harris poll ranking the prestige of various professions among Americans. http://media.theharrispoll.com... Teachers are ranked 10th on the list of most prestigious occupations. 65% of the population thinks teaching is one of the more prestigious professors. In 1989, teachers were ranked fourth of 800 professions, with a rating of 73. https://en.wikipedia.org...

Wikipedia makes comparisons of the changes in prestige over the years. They say:

Those who see teachers as having "very great" prestige has risen 25 points from 29 to 54 percent;
Those who say lawyers have "very great" prestige has fallen 14 points, from 36 to 22 percent;
Scientists have fallen 12 points from 66 to 54 percent;
Athletes have fallen ten points from 26 to 16 percent;
Physicians have fallen nine points from 61 to 52 percent;
Bankers have fallen seven points from 17 to 10 percent;
Entertainers have fallen six points from 18 percent to 12 percent.

So it's not true that teachers are disrespected. There is enormous criticism of the American educational system, and that's justified in part by falling test scores. There are also stories of abuses by teachers unions in large cities like New York and Baltimore. But overall, teachers are well-regarded.

I have great respect for teachers. I cannot imagine how they manage to be so patient with the little bastards they are supposed to teach. I'd string up one of the little creeps as a warning to others, but such practices are now frowned upon. PC and all that.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 2:59:31 PM
At 4/19/2016 2:04:59 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I found a Harris poll ranking the prestige of various professions among Americans. http://media.theharrispoll.com... Teachers are ranked 10th on the list of most prestigious occupations. 65% of the population thinks teaching is one of the more prestigious professors. In 1989, teachers were ranked fourth of 800 professions, with a rating of 73. https://en.wikipedia.org...

Wikipedia makes comparisons of the changes in prestige over the years. They say:

Those who see teachers as having "very great" prestige has risen 25 points from 29 to 54 percent;
Those who say lawyers have "very great" prestige has fallen 14 points, from 36 to 22 percent;

So it's not true that teachers are disrespected. There is enormous criticism of the American educational system, and that's justified in part by falling test scores. There are also stories of abuses by teachers unions in large cities like New York and Baltimore. But overall, teachers are well-regarded.

I have great respect for teachers. I cannot imagine how they manage to be so patient with the little bastards they are supposed to teach. I'd string up one of the little creeps as a warning to others, but such practices are now frowned upon. PC and all that.

As a public high school teacher, I can agree with this.

Many people that don't understand the systemic flaws in mismanaged public education often blame the teachers when it is the administration and politicians that are to blame. Most teachers are just following bad mandates....
jayashreemarg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 10:06:39 AM

Its because most of the teachers show their stern part at schools which students couldn't able to manage. This has to change. As students are not matured adults to handle such traits in teachers.
CharlieBlue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:39:16 PM

I've noticed this and think the age of the pupils plays a big part. It seems that teachers of younger children don't get as much respect as say high school teachers. Maybe they're almost looked down on, the idea being that anybody can teach little kids.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 4:47:56 PM
At 4/19/2016 2:59:31 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Many people that don't understand the systemic flaws in mismanaged public education often blame the teachers when it is the administration and politicians that are to blame. Most teachers are just following bad mandates....

+1
It's also ironic that teachers are well educated on various teaching techniques and how to reach children with varied needs and learning styles. Once in the classroom they are bogged down with pacing guides and book scripted lessons that are anything but differentiated.. No time can be spent in developing deep understanding of anything, it's always move on the next.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 4:52:18 PM
At 4/28/2016 2:39:16 PM, CharlieBlue wrote:

I've noticed this and think the age of the pupils plays a big part. It seems that teachers of younger children don't get as much respect as say high school teachers. Maybe they're almost looked down on, the idea being that anybody can teach little kids.

Actually, teaching small children is difficult. They need to learn how to learn. Teaching someone how to read is complicated and a progressive step by step processes, It is the cornerstone of success for all subjects.
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 2:55:53 PM
At 4/29/2016 4:47:56 PM, Peepette wrote:

+1
It's also ironic that teachers are well educated on various teaching techniques and how to reach children with varied needs and learning styles. Once in the classroom they are bogged down with pacing guides and book scripted lessons that are anything but differentiated.. No time can be spent in developing deep understanding of anything, it's always move on the next.

I agree with this. Obviously there are some great teachers and some poor ones, just like in any profession. But overall, I have a great respect for teachers and firmly believe that the problems stem from the educational system, not the teachers. And that is a major reason my daughter goes to a Montessori school.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:55:05 PM
At 5/3/2016 2:55:53 PM, Canuck wrote:
At 4/29/2016 4:47:56 PM, Peepette wrote:

+1

I agree with this. Obviously there are some great teachers and some poor ones, just like in any profession. But overall, I have a great respect for teachers and firmly believe that the problems stem from the educational system, not the teachers. And that is a major reason my daughter goes to a Montessori school.

Montessori, a great choice, They follow constructivist learning principles, but they to have to test as well. Their up side is they are not beholden to text book pacing and teaching guides. They develop lessons to meet a child's learning styles and needs.