Jump to topic:

University in USA

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:15:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I appreciate any help to anyone who offers it. It means much to me.

I am two hours away from deadline to picking a main study course in my current high school. I will most probably pick International Media, and I am planning on studying in University of Copenhagen in 2013. I looked at the KU.dk (the website of the university), and the Institute of Political/Social Science. Now, it is currently one of my dearest wishes to study abroad, and the United States would be a delightful destination for me. I read some articles, and I have a few questions to someone who can help answering.

Translated: http://translate.google.com...

Now, I realize that I can apply to a college which has bonds to the University of Copenhagen, but I have not seen which ones those are. But, the good thing is that you can apply to universities which are not partners with UC. However, the university does give an extraordinary offer for appliance to Dartmouth College, which sounds outstanding. Specific grade average is needed, which is fine. http://translate.google.com...

However, disregarding university, how exactly does a foreign student live in USA? How is the every day planning, health care, etc.? Is there something very important to know? I appreciate any help and I am kind of in a haste now, so I thank you in advance.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:27:32 AM
At 12/1/2010 1:15:23 AM, Mirza wrote:

However, disregarding university, how exactly does a foreign student live in USA?

Your life will be a little different because a lot of students go home on holidays and weekends, which will be difficult for you. I warn you of belligerent alcoholics... But aside from that, I understand that American collegiates are generally hospitable and accepting of international students. You should fit in nicely.

How is the every day planning, health care, etc.?

I'm not sure about health care, but daily planning is reliant upon you and your schedule. You have a great deal of independence; you literally build your own schedule (at my university, at least).

Is there something very important to know? I appreciate any help and I am kind of in a haste now, so I thank you in advance.

Nothing I can think of, except that private schools are extremely expensive, especially on international students. Financial aid/scholarships are important.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:43:09 AM
At 12/1/2010 1:27:32 AM, m93samman wrote:
Your life will be a little different because a lot of students go home on holidays and weekends, which will be difficult for you. I warn you of belligerent alcoholics... But aside from that, I understand that American collegiates are generally hospitable and accepting of international students. You should fit in nicely.
I have a strong desire for USA, and would not mind spending some time alone during weekends etc. if I can still manage to enjoy my time during the studies etc. Also, do you spend your nights in the college, and what about the holidays?

I'm not sure about health care, but daily planning is reliant upon you and your schedule. You have a great deal of independence; you literally build your own schedule (at my university, at least).
Yes, but is it that way in general? It would be good to me if I could plan my own schedule.

Nothing I can think of, except that private schools are extremely expensive, especially on international students. Financial aid/scholarships are important.
I think that the University of Copenhagen will do the main job regarding that. Also, are the job opportunities good, do you think? I will read more about the area around Dartmouth, since I know little about it. I will also read more about Grande Prairie Regional College.

Thanks!
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:52:00 AM
At 12/1/2010 1:43:09 AM, Mirza wrote:
I have a strong desire for USA, and would not mind spending some time alone during weekends etc. if I can still manage to enjoy my time during the studies etc. Also, do you spend your nights in the college, and what about the holidays?

Nights are spent in a dormitory on or near the college campus, and holidays you can stay there. I go home sometimes on the bus because it is near by. But weekends are totally fine at college; all I'm saying is that you might get homesick.

Yes, but is it that way in general? It would be good to me if I could plan my own schedule.

Yea, I'd say most colleges do that, if not all.

I think that the University of Copenhagen will do the main job regarding that. Also, are the job opportunities good, do you think?

Depends on where you're looking, generally it's difficult nowadays though.

I will read more about the area around Dartmouth, since I know little about it. I will also read more about Grande Prairie Regional College.

Thanks!

Mhmm, not a problem. Anything else?
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:01:31 AM
You probably have to sleep soon so I'll be quick.

At 12/1/2010 1:52:00 AM, m93samman wrote:
Nights are spent in a dormitory on or near the college campus, and holidays you can stay there. I go home sometimes on the bus because it is near by. But weekends are totally fine at college; all I'm saying is that you might get homesick.
I might, but I will get used to it. I do not mind being independent for a while. It means a lot to my family, too. So, you must have roommates, right?

That sounds good. Is there an average of study hours, perhaps? What's yours?

Something like working in a coffee shop would be fine. Part time jobs are difficult to find, too, correct?

Well, I won't take much more of your time, so thanks in advance! I have an hour left to return my decision.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:12:48 AM
At 12/1/2010 2:01:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
You probably have to sleep soon so I'll be quick.

Nope, studying till I should be waking up. I have some major exams (that I feel I'm ready for) but I just don't feel like sleeping anyways.

At 12/1/2010 1:52:00 AM, m93samman wrote:
I might, but I will get used to it. I do not mind being independent for a while. It means a lot to my family, too. So, you must have roommates, right?

That sounds good. Is there an average of study hours, perhaps? What's yours?

However many you want. You study on your own schedule, however much or little you want.

Something like working in a coffee shop would be fine. Part time jobs are difficult to find, too, correct?

They may be easier. If you're lucky, you could find part-time or full-time pretty easily.

Well, I won't take much more of your time, so thanks in advance! I have an hour left to return my decision.

I have time, if you have anything go ahead and ask.
:
:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:28:21 AM
At 12/1/2010 1:15:23 AM, Mirza wrote:
I appreciate any help to anyone who offers it. It means much to me.

I am two hours away from deadline to picking a main study course in my current high school. I will most probably pick International Media, and I am planning on studying in University of Copenhagen in 2013. I looked at the KU.dk (the website of the university), and the Institute of Political/Social Science. Now, it is currently one of my dearest wishes to study abroad, and the United States would be a delightful destination for me. I read some articles, and I have a few questions to someone who can help answering.

Translated: http://translate.google.com...

Now, I realize that I can apply to a college which has bonds to the University of Copenhagen, but I have not seen which ones those are. But, the good thing is that you can apply to universities which are not partners with UC. However, the university does give an extraordinary offer for appliance to Dartmouth College, which sounds outstanding. Specific grade average is needed, which is fine. http://translate.google.com...

However, disregarding university, how exactly does a foreign student live in USA? How is the every day planning, health care, etc.? Is there something very important to know? I appreciate any help and I am kind of in a haste now, so I thank you in advance.

Dartmouth is a great school, ivy league, difficult to get accepted, and expensive - generally speaking it's pretty powerful on a resume. It's only an hour and a half from where i live, so the climate is about the same as what you have now. Oddly enough it was originally a school set up for the Indians. Don't worry about the minor details, all will fall into place. If it's a big school, and you are looking for it, you can find your place, but if it's a big school, and you're not looking for anything, you can get lost.

I majored in political science with the intention of going to law school. Financially that wasn't feasible, but i got my degree and have a decent job that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what i learned in college. However, the entire college experience has helped me to be more flexible and literate in interacting with people at all levels, and in all environments. The name of the school does mean something, the actual education depends. I graduated from a school that is kind of special to the Irish Catholics of my area, and that helps from time to time. When they ask me what i majored in, i am a little reluctant.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:45:11 AM
At 12/1/2010 2:12:48 AM, m93samman wrote:
Nope, studying till I should be waking up. I have some major exams (that I feel I'm ready for) but I just don't feel like sleeping anyways.
Alright, I was busy in class. Take the time you need for preparation.

However many you want. You study on your own schedule, however much or little you want.
That sounds good.

They may be easier. If you're lucky, you could find part-time or full-time pretty easily.
Delightful. I think there might be good opportunities (especially in a few years).
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:54:17 AM
At 12/1/2010 2:28:21 AM, innomen wrote:
Dartmouth is a great school, ivy league, difficult to get accepted, and expensive - generally speaking it's pretty powerful on a resume.
Yes, I will call UC and see at they offer regarding prices.

It's only an hour and a half from where i live, so the climate is about the same as what you have now.
Your area is located well!

Oddly enough it was originally a school set up for the Indians. Don't worry about the minor details, all will fall into place. If it's a big school, and you are looking for it, you can find your place, but if it's a big school, and you're not looking for anything, you can get lost.
A school with a good recognition is sufficient.

I majored in political science with the intention of going to law school. Financially that wasn't feasible, but i got my degree and have a decent job that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what i learned in college. However, the entire college experience has helped me to be more flexible and literate in interacting with people at all levels, and in all environments. The name of the school does mean something, the actual education depends. I graduated from a school that is kind of special to the Irish Catholics of my area, and that helps from time to time. When they ask me what i majored in, i am a little reluctant.
Yes, I know. I will use my education for various things, though.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 7:21:33 AM
At 12/1/2010 2:54:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2010 2:28:21 AM, innomen wrote:
Dartmouth is a great school, ivy league, difficult to get accepted, and expensive - generally speaking it's pretty powerful on a resume.
Yes, I will call UC and see at they offer regarding prices.

It's only an hour and a half from where i live, so the climate is about the same as what you have now.
Your area is located well!

Oddly enough it was originally a school set up for the Indians. Don't worry about the minor details, all will fall into place. If it's a big school, and you are looking for it, you can find your place, but if it's a big school, and you're not looking for anything, you can get lost.
A school with a good recognition is sufficient.

Yes, I know. I will use my education for various things, though.

As for the financing of it: you would need to look at all opportunities that are available. Look into financial aid first, then scholarships, and you cannot leave any rock unturned. I am guessing there are probably some Islamic scholarships that you should apply for, and any possible scholarship that you can apply to. This takes a lot of time, but you have to get as many as possible. I'm not sure if you have any sort of Bosnian refugee status, but that can help too. Then you also will need to take out loans. Every, well most, college kids have student loans. Be prudent in this, but some debt is normal when you graduate. Dartmouth being the caliber of school it is probably makes it a little easier for the students to get loans than other schools.

I will give you some advice. If you can get into Dartmouth, and it isn't completely unrealistic in financing it - take advantage of that opportunity. By the way, it's in a very beautiful area of New Hampshire, right on the border of Vermont, and a little south is Massachusetts; the heart of New England :-)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:36:49 PM
At 12/1/2010 7:21:33 AM, innomen wrote:
As for the financing of it: you would need to look at all opportunities that are available. Look into financial aid first, then scholarships, and you cannot leave any rock unturned. I am guessing there are probably some Islamic scholarships that you should apply for, and any possible scholarship that you can apply to.
Yes, there could be. I still have a few years to sort everything out, which is a bonus.

This takes a lot of time, but you have to get as many as possible. I'm not sure if you have any sort of Bosnian refugee status, but that can help too.
I am an immigrant in Denmark, but I will seek the Danish citizenship.

Then you also will need to take out loans. Every, well most, college kids have student loans.
Yes, but I have a problem with interest, so I will try to find another way of either having loans or getting money another way.

Be prudent in this, but some debt is normal when you graduate. Dartmouth being the caliber of school it is probably makes it a little easier for the students to get loans than other schools.
Well, I will call UC and see what they offer. Then I can come back and tell you what they say about it.

I will give you some advice. If you can get into Dartmouth, and it isn't completely unrealistic in financing it - take advantage of that opportunity.
Yes, if God is Willing. If I am interested and suited, I will look well into it. As long as I can get a proper education and explore new things, it will be fine.

By the way, it's in a very beautiful area of New Hampshire, right on the border of Vermont, and a little south is Massachusetts; the heart of New England :-)
Absolutely, but all of USA is beautiful!

Thanks a lot to you, too.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 1:56:31 PM
At 12/1/2010 1:46:19 PM, Mirza wrote:
http://www.islamicscholarshipfund.org...

I'm can't be a permanent resident as a student, though.

Yeah, you can't do that one. However, Denmark may have an equivalent that you can use abroad. Besides, that's just one of many, i am guessing.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 4:21:12 AM
At 12/1/2010 1:56:31 PM, innomen wrote:
At 12/1/2010 1:46:19 PM, Mirza wrote:
http://www.islamicscholarshipfund.org...

I can't be a permanent resident as a student, though.

Yeah, you can't do that one. However, Denmark may have an equivalent that you can use abroad. Besides, that's just one of many, i am guessing.
Indeed, but I will see what UC offers. I will call whenever I get time.