Home economics should be mandatory

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:37:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
For girls only of course.

Kidding. It should be mandatory for everyone. There seem to be more young men who can cook these days than young women. People leave their parents' house and can't even do laundry or efficiently shop for groceries or plan meals. Considering how much % of the average human's budget is spent on food, these skills could change someone from in the red to getting by. Work ethic at home is important, too. Taking care of a home, whether you have 9 kids or you're a bachelor in a one bedroom apartment, are basic living/quality of life skills. A lot of people will never use geometry, so rather than waste time on trig, teach people to live.

Can you properly set a table? That's not a survival skill, but it is part of the culture, just like home cooked meals. And it's being lost. American food wasn't McDonald's until 60 years ago. I've had this discussion previously, on DDO. Few know what real American food is anymore. That culture is worth saving!
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Ubermensch-Tsoa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 2:09:00 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 5:37:49 AM, Skynet wrote:

Kidding. It should be mandatory for everyone. There seem to be more young men who can cook these days than young women. People leave their parents' house and can't even do laundry or efficiently shop for groceries or plan meals. Considering how much % of the average human's budget is spent on food, these skills could change someone from in the red to getting by. Work ethic at home is important, too. Taking care of a home, whether you have 9 kids or you're a bachelor in a one bedroom apartment, are basic living/quality of life skills. A lot of people will never use geometry, so rather than waste time on trig, teach people to live.

Can you properly set a table? That's not a survival skill, but it is part of the culture, just like home cooked meals. And it's being lost. American food wasn't McDonald's until 60 years ago. I've had this discussion previously, on DDO. Few know what real American food is anymore. That culture is worth saving!
I was wondering what you meant by home economics. (Culinary arts is what we called it at my high school). I took these courses my freshman and sophomore year, mainly due to the ease of material and the lack of motivation to become self disciplined during finals.

Let me first say how you missed a major supporting claim... Culinary arts creates the knowledge and skill set for young individuals to become more knowledgeable about food in general. These skill sets will hopefully encourage are kids to put down the big mac and at least try to grill something up at home. For me, cooking is still an enjoyable experience and view cooking almost therapeutic. It helps you by being mindful of the moment you are currently in. Which ultimately, can reduce stress and improve health .

Oops, i went on a rant. Like i said earlier. I think you missed a major supporting claim: With the rates of obesity and the diseases related to obesity at an all time high, teaching are kids how to cook is paramount. I like how you touched on culture, for it is IMO something that you should be proud of. However, culture can vary on multiples levels but still adds validity.

Honestly, Its sad to see where my society is headed too.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 1:31:34 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/9/2016 2:09:00 AM, Ubermensch-Tsoa wrote:

I was wondering what you meant by home economics. (Culinary arts is what we called it at my high school). I took these courses my freshman and sophomore year, mainly due to the ease of material and the lack of motivation to become self disciplined during finals.

Let me first say how you missed a major supporting claim... Culinary arts creates the knowledge and skill set for young individuals to become more knowledgeable about food in general. These skill sets will hopefully encourage are kids to put down the big mac and at least try to grill something up at home. For me, cooking is still an enjoyable experience and view cooking almost therapeutic. It helps you by being mindful of the moment you are currently in. Which ultimately, can reduce stress and improve health .

Oops, i went on a rant. Like i said earlier. I think you missed a major supporting claim: With the rates of obesity and the diseases related to obesity at an all time high, teaching are kids how to cook is paramount. I like how you touched on culture, for it is IMO something that you should be proud of. However, culture can vary on multiples levels but still adds validity.

Honestly, Its sad to see where my society is headed too.

I'm glad they still teach it in some form. The schools I went to were too small to have many extra programs. Did they teach other-than-culinary life skills, too?

I grew up in a way that was about a generation behind everyone else, only because my parents, who are baby-boomers, grew up in the same way as many of those who grew up in the depression did. I can't fathom a mom coming home with a pizza, and plopping the open box on the floor in front of the TV for her children to swarm around like puppies, but that's how one woman I met served family meals. It also bothers me when people can't plan grocery shopping so they must waste a trip to the store everyday for the next meal. But, like you said, that's where it's heading. And you're absolutely right about the health aspect of it. Home cooking and traditional meals have so many benefits.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 2:41:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It should be mandatory for everyone. There seem to be more young men who can cook these days than young women. People leave their parents' house and can't even do laundry or efficiently shop for groceries or plan meals. Considering how much % of the average human's budget is spent on food, these skills could change someone from in the red to getting by. Work ethic at home is important, too. Taking care of a home, whether you have 9 kids or you're a bachelor in a one bedroom apartment, are basic living/quality of life skills. A lot of people will never use geometry, so rather than waste time on trig, teach people to live.

I completely agree. It's sad to see so many families opting to "eat out" rather than dining at home. For one, it is, in the long-run, much cheaper for the family and also better for their health. Likewise, it is also a boost for the economy. Consumerism can be spurred when more people buy their food rather than purchasing from fast food restaurants. Commercialized fast-food and dine-in restaurants would still be prevalent, but used less frequently. I think it's rather necessary to have basic geometric knowledge, but trig and other advanced math classes are rarely essential. Implementing, in some fashion, an educational program to teach young people food finance and home economics in general would be a boon for our society. Honestly, as rudimentary personal finance is, we could easily expand it to a year-long requirement and incorporate such necessities.

Wholeheartedly agree. Not only is it more healthy, a cultural souvenir, but it also reinstates the close-knit family. Basically, you're much more likely to dine with your family around a home-cooked meal than a quick stop by McDonald's on the way home from work. It brings the family together, which is something we've lost over time... and suffered from.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW